No announcement yet.

Newbie at it for about 4 hours now...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One other quick not that I am not sure if you know, some might say it is commonsense but I was always lacking in that department
    When you do go to pull the finished product try to get all the fat that was in between the meat pulled out and thrown away. Otherwise you will be tasting a lot of fat in your pulled pork....at least that is what I do but didn't as a rookie
    Jerod
    GOT-Q-4-U bbq team
    sigpic

Comment

Photos

Guys, thanks a lot, this has been a great experience.

Fish--I don't have a temperature control, just a low, medium, high thermostat. It is cranked-up, full-bore and running along at 225* according to the aftermarket thermo.

Here are two quick photos from the four hour mark--one of the pork, one of the thermo on the grate showing 225 (if you can make it out). I checked the internal temperature too, and it was 159-160 at four hours, so I cleared the coveted 140 in 4!!!

Now off to the liquor store for the main ingredient! Thanks guys...more to come -- Seacat
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by seacat View Post
        Now off to the liquor store for the main ingredient! Thanks guys...more to come -- Seacat
        Talk about fitting right in on day one... your gonna like it here!
        --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
        www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

Welcome seacat...There is no shame in finishing in the oven...dont let these clowns bust yer balls about that...after all isnt an electric smoker kinda like an oven in the first place?

Pork is lookin great...Smoke on...Ill check this one later for an update...
          Craig
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
            Welcome seacat...There is no shame in finishing in the oven...dont let these clowns bust yer balls about that...after all isnt an electric smoker kinda like an oven in the first place?

Pork is lookin great...Smoke on...Ill check this one later for an update...

Clowns??? We have clowns in here?? Dammit, I always miss the parade...

My oven is gas by the way....
            Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
              I see I'm not the only one that can't type this right..

Were not busting your balls on the oven Seacat... We just have a bit of fun here.. I think we all have used them at one time or another finishing our smokes.. We just cannot admit it to each other..

Kinda like AA.. Admitting is the first step..
              AA would that be a**holes anonymous

Seacat, your education into this new found addiction will skyrocket with the help from the great folks. On another note, if you're going to foil or finish in the oven, keep the juices that are in the foil/pan that is pure gold, just mix it with the pulled pork. I do recommend a finishing sauce, there are a few here that are simple. either way you've taken the first step

GOSM
              K.C.B.S Member # 60786
              Digital Thermometers
              Hybrid Kenmore grill 1/2 charcoal 1/2 gas
              140 lb English Mastiff/ American Bulldog, she is my taste tester and BBQ companion.

Comment

Originally posted by crusty ol salt View Post
                so unless you have a huge butt.... you should be good to go.
                That's getting a bit personal, he just got here

GOSM
                K.C.B.S Member # 60786
                Digital Thermometers
                Hybrid Kenmore grill 1/2 charcoal 1/2 gas
                140 lb English Mastiff/ American Bulldog, she is my taste tester and BBQ companion.

Comment

Seems like the temperature is climbing internally well and the oven shouldn't (knock on wood) be a necessity. At about 6 hours it was a hair over 170, with the smoker chugging away at 225*. I'm getting ready to check it here in about ten minutes, foil it, and then put her back on.

To check the temp during the foiling parts, do I just poke the themo through the foil, or is it recommended to un-wrap, measure the temp, then re-wrap?

Crossing the fingers to pull off the smoker in 3 hours at 195*, rest for an hour or so, and then pull right before 7 when people are supposed to start arriving!

I'll put up pictures pretty shortly of the 8 hours appearance.

-Seacat

Comment

Seems like the temperature is climbing internally well and the oven shouldn't (knock on wood) be a necessity. At about 6 hours it was a hair over 170, with the smoker chugging away at 225*. I'm getting ready to check it here in about ten minutes, foil it, and then put her back on.

To check the temp during the foiling parts, do I just poke the themo through the foil, or is it recommended to un-wrap, measure the temp, then re-wrap?

Crossing the fingers to pull off the smoker in 3 hours at 195*, rest for an hour or so, and then pull right before 7 when people are supposed to start arriving!

-Seacat
                    I keep a maverick in middle of butt and foil tightly around it....Can take some practice to seal it with probe in it...

When i get near me targeted internal i check same area with a therma pen....

Really pays to have all your thermos accurate....

Comment

-Seacat
                      8 hour photo. Difficult to get a good feel for it though because of the deck shadow. -- Seacat
                      Attached Files

Comment

Looks good, just like it's supposed to
                        sigpic

Comment

Looking great! Do you have another pork shoulder on a rack below that one?
                          www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

Note for the future; the thermo you are using for the cooker temp, they are notoriously inaccurate. Better'n nothin though! Lookin good so far! About that shoulder you're hidin below the butt???
                            Mark
                            sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                            Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Yep you found it!!! Was waiting for a mention. Like I said, I'm feeding about 25. Both are looking great and are wrapped as we speak. I'll post the final product pictures in a bit.

Do I need to unwrap to measure temperature or can I poke through the foil? Thoughts?

-Seacat

Comment

Do I need to unwrap to measure temperature or can I poke through the foil? Thoughts?
                                I've poked through the foil before. I don't see any problem doing that, but just remember that hole is there so you don't lose any of the juices (liquid gold). Those juices are great to mix in your pulled pork for both taste and moisture.
                                www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

Working...
                                X