Hey--

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scarbelly View Post
    Welcome man happy to have you here. These guys are some of the best in the business.
    Thx Scarbelly. Glad to be here. Can't wait to learn from the best, and share what lil bit I know-
    Keen like the coyote, and sly like the fox, will sit and make smoke, in my drawers and my sox--

Comment

Originally posted by BBQ Engineer View Post
      Heck yeah...you can make a decent smoker out of a friggin cardboard box (alton brown)...aluminum will be way more durable and not even close to as heavy as some of the steel ones...if you are worried about heat loss, you could always insulate it! Are you doing something special for the firebox? will it be a propane unit, a watt burner, or charcoal basket? Can't wait to see it
      Yeah buddy, ole Alton Brown. Smart man that acts like a couyon making them big buck$. Some say heat loss will be a problem because it dissipates the heat quickly. I understand that, thats why the radiator on ya ride is aluminum. I really think that the folks that say heat loss will be a problem envision a horizontal type smoker with a side mount fire box. A vertical type smoker is a different set-up however. Also some people refer to a bbq pit as a smoker. As we all know bbq'ing and smoking is two separate techniques. Two different ball games. Like you said insulating is an option also. We do live "down south" tho, don't think heat loss will be much of a problem. Heat will be provided with a propane burner (turkey fryer/crawfish boiler style) and smoke with a charcoal/hickory pan. A water pan/drip basin (aluminum pan 4 inches deep) will rest above the hickory pan. When sausage is put into the smoker it is heated with the burner only until the casing starts to dry somewhat. Smoke is not added until the casing is dry because if the casing is wet to the touch it will not take on the smoke color. Proper adjustment of the air dampers is important also. The unit will be manually controlled as far as temperature etc. Thats how I did it 25 years ago. Nothing fancy, but tended to constantly, the old time way, just like those Thanksgiving day "la boucheries" of long ago. I like this forum, it let's me go back to those good ole days. Oh, I'll be back.
      Last edited by pokechop; 12-04-2011, 09:24 PM.
      Keen like the coyote, and sly like the fox, will sit and make smoke, in my drawers and my sox--

Comment

Originally posted by pokechop View Post
        I like this forum, it let's me go back to those good ole days. Oh, I'll be back.

Now this is a testament to why this forum was built and why it is great....

You are very kind..

Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Originally posted by pokechop View Post
          Thx Santa, I mean minnball. At last, I am loved by sumbody that does not know me. BTW. That is you in that open front Santa suit, correct? Biggest part of any sale of a product is "presentation", nothing like showing ya sausage--
          uhmm don't wanna know.

Glad ya stepped in... Now get busy..

Chit missed many posts... Sorry on dumb phone

Comment

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
            Now this is a testament to why this forum was built and why it is great....

You are very kind..

And you are very kind as well Sir. You made my day. It is a struggle, but I try very hard to tell how it was in years past. Some listen, while others only hear what is being said, only to forget a few minutes after. I feel at home here. Thx for creating this forum. Nuff said.

Comment

Originally posted by Checkered Past View Post
              uhmm don't wanna know.

Glad ya stepped in... Now get busy..

Chit missed many posts... Sorry on dumb phone
              Well hello there Checkered Past. Don't wanna know huh? Oh I'm busy all the time. Put the phone down and catch up, K--

Comment

Masterbuilt Stainless Steel 40"
                Weber 22.5" WSM
                Weber Performer W/rotisserie X2
                Weber 22.5" Kettle Silver
                Weber 22.5" Kettle Gold
                Weber 1990 22.5" 3 Wheeler
                Weber 18.5" Kettle
                Weber 18.5" Bud Light Kettle
                Weber Smokey Joe
                GMG Daniel Boone
                Pit Barrel Cooker
                Maverick ET 73 and ET 732
                6X8 A Maze N Smoker and Tube Smoker
                Fastest Themapen on the market BLACK
                The Vortex

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by ALX View Post
                    X2
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Doug S. View Post
                      Thx Doug. Looking forward to "chewing da fat" (befo its cooked of course)--

Comment

Originally posted by ALX View Post
                        Thx ALX. Purty lil piggy ya got there.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                          X2
                          Thx Fishawn-X2 also X2--(:-)-

Comment

Welcome to the Island Pokechop! Looking forward to your posts... rock on!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Little late on the welcome, Haven't been around much lately. But it's great to have ya here
                              JT

Comment

so you going to insulate this cabinet of yours ?

Hell to make it completely coonarse, insulate the metal cabinet and give it a thin plywood skin. And just tell people it's a plywood smoker :-)
                                (we do have a member who actually uses one lol)
                                Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                                Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Working...
                                X