Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Howdy smokin folks, new guy here from Ky.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

I skipped the propane burner part for right now but I may add it later.

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
      Welcome to the forum, if you're following that build I'm impressed - that's some serious construction that bloke did on his bbq.

And the pipe burner build was pretty interesting as well.
      This is definitely a 'don't try this at home pic'
      Smokin' in the valley! God bless the USA!!

Comment

Hello from Lexington! Where bouts in Kentucky are you? Good luck on the build!
        Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
        Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
        1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
        Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
        Weber Smokey Joe
        Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
        Pink Thermapen
        Purple Thermapen

Comment

I am a big boy so please be honest as I can take criticism/advice. As you can see from the pic, I still like door handles, door seals and smoker racks (tonight on the racks) Also as you can see, I am a jack of all trades but a master of NONE! I will be wet polishing all the top concrete and stuccoing the sides. I just hope this thing holds heat!
          Last edited by rikerz; 08-17-2012, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Looks cool!!
            Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
            Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
            1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
            Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
            Weber Smokey Joe
            Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
            Pink Thermapen
            Purple Thermapen

Comment

Originally posted by SmokinOutBack View Post
              Very impressive! Can't wait to see yours in action. from New Jersey.
              Originally posted by sweet_magnolia View Post
              Looks cool!!
              Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Edster View Post
                Hey, that's where I got the plans to build mine. I changed a few things, but same basics. Smoked on mine 4 times now and it works great..
                Hey Edster, how much charcoal (if you use charcoal) do you start with to get yours up to temp and on a 6 hr smoke, how much do you typically use. I have lots of questions folks, hope you keep me around long enough to answer a few.. Thanks and God bless, Jeff

Comment

I use a chimley full to start. Last week I just used wood, took a little longer to get temp. up but not much.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Edster View Post
                    I use a chimley full to start. Last week I just used wood, took a little longer to get temp. up but not much.
                    You use briquettes or lump? Also, what amount would you guess that you used for a 6 hr smoke?

Comment

I just use lump to start then all wood. Once I get a bed of coals it don't take much wood to keep it at temp. When all that fire brick and concrete gets hot it stays hot a long time after fire dies down..
                      sigpic

Comment

Re:

Welcome from the Ohio, Ky, WV end of Kentucky tri-state.

Glad to see someone on here building an old fashioned Pit. I've been wondering if there would ever be a revival of interest in these.

Back in the early 50's the first Weber Kettle was thought up when welding marine buoy halves together and making a charcoal grill from those parts came to mind. The legs were straps and hoops and the first one looked like this.

From then on the masonry & stone pits lost out to the new metal BBQ grills that began to flood the market. Perhaps the old masonry pits just didn't get built to perform well by builders who didn't understood the principles of a smoking pit well enough in the day. But the utility of the new "must have" portable grill won people over and here we are today.

Building your own equipment does have one great thing going for it.
                        Your smoker didn't come from China.

Instructables is a fine place for ideas. I lurk there a lot.

I wish you luck with your build and getting all the tweeks refined in your
                        Pit so it performs well for you. You'll learn how to smoke the meat here for sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc1URQgQWNo

Comment

to the forum. That is impressive. Love to see some pics of what that baby produces once you're done.
                          New Braunfels Black Diamond
                          18.5" WSM
                          Weber Performer Deluxe Black
                          18.5 Weber Kettle
                          22.5 Weber Kettle
                          Maverick ET732
                          6, 8, 10 and 12' Lodge DO

Smoked Meat Misfits: "the change it had to come. We knew it all along. We were liberated from the fold, that's all" - The Who.

sigpic

Comment

Thanks again folks for the fine welcome! Growing up, our neighbor had this covered car port and had a built in bbq pit in it and I always thought that was really cool and after some careful thought (yeah right, me being an average dude who does everything on a whim) jumped right into the build. Again, its not perfect and I just hope it holds heat! Thanks again and God bless.. Have a great weekend all!

Comment

Cool build. If you cook half as good at that looks that is going to be some eating.
                              Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, Rage against the dying of the light.

www.wedlinydomowe.com/

http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/sausage...ure-calculator

ExhaustedSpark
                              Disabled
                              Member American Legion
                              Life Member NRA
                              Life Member ARRL

Comment

Updated 8-21-12: Installed air vent into firepit door and 2 out of the 3 racks finished.

Comment

Working...
                                X