1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
    Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
    Weber Smokey Joe
    Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
    Pink Thermapen
    Purple Thermapen

Comment

Originally posted by kendoll View Post
      Welcome from Sydney! Smokin Q in Sweden eh? Nice.

Where in Sweden are you?

Ken
      Didnt get Smokin Q in sweden eh?

But if you ask if smoking is big in sweden, i would say No. In swden we only grill (if thats the right word?) like this:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-DyBhp06xRI...klingspett.jpg

sry if im not allowed to link picture!

I live in Värmland (state) and there i live in a small town not so far away from Karlstad

any1 of you have grandparents that came from sewden? ;)

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much //Ronald Reagan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing // Edmund Burke

Comment

Hi, Marcus, and Välkommen till vår gemenskap!

I have never been to Sweden, but I do have ancestors from there. My German great-grandfather married a very fine Swedish girl, and they helped to build this great country, homesteadnig in North Dakota. I am not sure WHERE in Sweden her family was from, but the traditions remained strong in the family.

I have a great interest in international cuisine, and being of Scandinavian descent, I have enjoyed a few recipes from Sweden, as well as some from Norway, Finland and Denmark. So far, some that I have made are potatis korv (värmlandskorv?), gravlax, hovmästarsås/gravlaxsås, köttbullar, Bergensk fiskesuppe, Dansk flæskeæggekage, sima (lemon mead from Finland), äppelfläsk, and färsrullader, which is probably my favourite so far. Just recently, I also made and tried gravad älg for the first time, and was really impressed. I love it all, and made all of them, including the potatis korv, from scratch. I even cured my own bacon for the äppelfläsk. I enjoyed all of these Scandinavian projects, but these two dishes were probably my most significant successes. I am a big believer in the idea of husmanskost and firmly believe that you guys up north have all the good stuff!

I apologise for any spelling or grammar errors above ~

Again, welcome to the forum - we are very much looking forward to getting to know you and exchanging information with you.
        Last edited by TasunkaWitko; 04-22-2013, 03:33 PM.
        Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
        Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

Comment

It was good swedish! it cant be google translate seems to be to good for that :P

You should try to make sandwich cake, thats really swedish =)

I can try to get you a recipe tomorrow if you are intrest :D

i would <3 to start a husmanskost restaurant in the US, i think it would be a pretty good thing but so hard to get into US :P

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much //Ronald Reagan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing // Edmund Burke

Comment

They eat wierd stuff in sweden :-)... Kurv med rejesalat... Hotdog with shrimpsalat and mashed potatoes...

Or try "the taste of sweden" surstrommning... Rotten fish on can ;-).,.
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surströmming

But welcome fellow scandi
            Attached Files

Comment

Marcus, the sandwich cake sounds very interesting - I'd love to learn more about it!

The Swedish terms above were partially from Google Translate, but you know how it is; one must be careful and look to see if words are being used in the right context - if they are not, I try to find alternate translation. The names of most of the dishes came from my books on Scandinavian cookery, as well.

Your idea of a husmanskost restaurant in the US is something I have thought about. I believe that it would make a wonderful wintertime menu in most of the country ~

Pleased to meet you, and take care!
              Last edited by TasunkaWitko; 04-22-2013, 04:41 PM.
              Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

Originally posted by mackan110 View Post
                It was good swedish! it cant be google translate seems to be to good for that :P

You should try to make sandwich cake, thats really swedish =)

I can try to get you a recipe tomorrow if you are intrest :D

i would <3 to start a husmanskost restaurant in the US, i think it would be a pretty good thing but so hard to get into US :P
                Well I'd love to see the recipe!
                Last edited by Mark R; 04-22-2013, 03:47 PM.
                Mark
                sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Originally posted by Morras View Post
                  They eat wierd stuff in sweden :-)... Kurv med rejesalat... Hotdog with shrimpsalat and mashed potatoes...

Or try "the taste of sweden" surstrommning... Rotten fish on can ;-).,.
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surströmming

But welcome fellow scandi

Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

I will try to find it tomorrow =) its 11 pm here so its time for bed now xD

surströmming is gross! i tried it for my first time last summer but damn it taste bad. like salt chewing-gume. Now i has to wait some years before i will try it again :P

you dont have hotdog with shrimps and mashed potato? you guys who has everythig and the hotdogs ;)

if you wanna try something swedish just write here or send me a pm i will try to help you find a recipe and translate it into US =)

You have tried the liquid, absolut vodka? if not you should, it the best!

Comment

Many thanks, Marcus!

If you don't mind, may I also post your recipe the the Scandinavian sections of my forum, http://foodsoftheworld.activeboards.net?

Thank you, and take care -

Ron
                      Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

Here is the recipe of the sandwich cake

I have translate it to USA amount but i will also post the swedish amount

12 long open sandwich
                        butter

Tuna filling:
                        2 cans tuna in water (2x0.4 Pound (lb))
                        Dropp off Lemon juice
                        10 table spoon mayonnaise
                        10 table spoon sour cream

Shrimp filling:

5 Ounce (oz) peeled shrimps
                        3,5 table spoon mayonnaise
                        3,5 table spoon sour cream
                        black pepper
                        snipp dill

Topping:

mayonnaise
                        Ham
                        hard-boiled egg
                        5 Ounce (oz) shrimp
                        lemon slice
                        dill

IN SWEDISH (if you wondering about the size )

12 landgångsbröd
                        bordsmargarin

Tornfiskfyllning:
                        2 burkar tonfisk i vatten (a 185g)
                        Citronsaft
                        1 1/2 DL lättmajonnäs
                        1 1/2 dl gräddfil

Räkfyllning:

100-150 g skalade räkor
                        1/2 dl lättmajonnäs
                        1/2 dl gräddfil
                        svartpeppar
                        klippt dill

Garnering:

Majonnäs
                        skinka
                        4 hårdkokta ägg
                        ca 150g räkor
                        citronskivor
                        dill

How to do:

Spread soaringly with butter on the nine slices of bread, nonthing in the three that will be placed on the top

Start with the tuna-filling

Drain the tuna, place the meat in a bowl and divide it into small pieces, add mayonnaise and sour cream. season the taste with lemon and black pepper. Chop the shrimps to the next filling and mix them with mayonnaise, sour cream and dill and some black pepper.

Now, three of the buttered bread slices close together on a beautiful plate. Spread half of the tuna filling over the bottom. Add three slices of bread, but put them on the other direction, so that the plates intersect. If you switch the breads direction in each layer, it will hold the cake together better and are easier to cut. Distribute the shrimp-filling over this ground of bread. As a new layer of bread covered with the remaining tuna filling. Finally, add the three breads (no butter on them). Broad mayonnaise over and around the cake. Garnish with ham (around the whole cake) then add the hard-boiled eggs that you have sliced and the shrimps. On the side you can garnish with lemon slices
                        Last edited by mackan110; 04-25-2013, 05:07 PM.

Comment

you dont have hotdog with shrimps and mashed potato? you guys who has everythig and the hotdogs ;)
                          lol, not in Chicago, places here wont even give a person a ketchup packet to put that nasty red stuff on a dog.

welcome to the site.
                          Just because you welded some shit together doesnt make it a WSM.

Twitter: @GrubSeeker

Comment

Marcus - I like it, and will see about giving it a try!

What is the Swedish name for this? Smörgåstårta?

Thanks again!

Ron
                            Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

you are welcome =)
                              yes the name is smörgåstårta =)

picture how it can look alike:
                              http://smorgasbaren.se/wp-content/th..._och_rakor.jpg

@chisoxjim

haha you should try it! you gonna like it ;)

i dont know if you have chocolate balls/nigroballs so i can post it as well :P

Negerbollar/Chockladbollar

0.4 pound (lb) butter
                              13.5 table spoon
                              2,5 cup porridge
                              2 tea spoon (tsp) vanilla sugar
                              1 table spoon cacao
                              3 table spoon chocolate powder
                              4 table spoon water

chrused sugar

1. mix all ingredients but not the water and chrused sugar in a bowl
                              2. Add water and mix it all to a mixture
                              3. shape the mixture into balls, about 3-4 inches in diameter and place them on a platter
                              4. roll the balls in chrused sugar and place them on a plattern

a picture of chocolate balls/negroballs

http://cdn1.cdnme.se/cdn/9-1/701517/..._130487263.jpg
                              Last edited by mackan110; 04-23-2013, 05:06 PM.

Comment

i dont know if you have chocolate balls/nigroballs so i can post it as well :P
                                I just gotta get me somma those post-haste...

Just funnin' ya Marcus. Sometimes the languages collide. This WOULD be one of those times...
                                In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                                Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                                Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Working...
                                X