No announcement yet.

Just Built a Smoker - Need Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use a brinkmann electric element in my freezer conversion. It maintains perfect temps for sausage (165 range). I can and have hit 300 with it, but don't need that temp so I don't do that often.

http://www.brinkmann.net/products/de...tem=450-0224-C
    sigpic

Beef. It's whats for dinner.

Comment

I looked at the Brinkmann, but it is only 1500watts. The burner I am using is 1650watts.

Comment

Pics

Here are pics. I have a 4 inch galvanized chimney that has not yet been installed because of my concern for heat loss.
        Attached Files

Comment

I had a wooden smoker that I made for years. It was 2' X 2' X 6' and made with 1/2" plywood & 2 X 4s. It had shelf/trays & I used fire bricks on the bottom and burned a small fire in it by getting about 15 briquettes going & putting them in the middle of the floor on the bricks. I had an old street sign on the floor under the bricks so embers could not burn the floor. I would put some wood pieces right on the coals for smoke & more heat. I could run it at 250* for 3 - 4 hours on the coals & wood and if iI needed more time I would drop a few unlit coals & some more wood on the fire. It would smolder nicely. I had no built in vent or intake for air. The cracks around the door would allow just the right air flow to keep it from flaming up. I have made 4 of these smokers over about 30 years. some rotted away & one burned up. At the end of the last one's life I used a Weber Smokey Joe (small kettle) and kept the fire in it which made for an easier clean-up and fire control. I would get it going in the kettle & then just place it in the smoker. The only fire that I had was my fault as I fired it up before it was completed being built & too much air got in plus my drip pan overflowed pork juices onto the fire & flared up. 25' tall flames!! LOL.
          I think the smokey Joe grill would work best for your situation. JMHO. Good luck.

Here are pics of my old smoker near the bottom of this page.
          http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/sho...t=16416&page=3
          MES 30"
          A-Maze-N pellet smoker
          Weber 22" kettle
          E-Z-Que rotisserie
          Weber Smokey Joe
          Big Weber Gasser
          Cracker Smoker
          UDS

Comment

Wow! That has a wood floor? It looks like its right next to your house! Be careful! If i were you id sit beside that with a fire extinguisher the whole time. There are two kinds of wooden smokers: those that have burned down and those that will burn down
            sigpicSmoke meat, not crack
            Sullys bangin' ass jerkey-
            Pepperoni-Pernil-Spicy snack stix-Ryans crab cakes-Dip for smoked fish-Lox-Beer brittle-Pizza crust-Spinach and artichoke dip-Garlic link-Pizza Links-

Comment

Spoke with my electrician -- Adding a second burner is possible, but it would need to plugged into a separate circuit breaker due to more than 20amps being drawn with 2 @ 1650v burners. (13.5 each or 27 amps.) In fact a 30 amp breaker wouldn't be enough as they are only rated for 80% of total. (IE: 24 amps for a 30amp).

Comment

Originally posted by Charcuteryan View Post
                Wow! That has a wood floor? It looks like its right next to your house! Be careful! If i were you id sit beside that with a fire extinguisher the whole time. There are two kinds of wooden smokers: those that have burned down and those that will burn down
                Is that in reference to my pictures or L20A's link ? My smoker is inside the shop right now but will be used outside as it is on casters.

Comment

Ya the one in the pic. I think the butcher got a nice wooden rig. He can help ya. His stuffs on point! Happy smokin
                  Pepperoni-Pernil-Spicy snack stix-Ryans crab cakes-Dip for smoked fish-Lox-Beer brittle-Pizza crust-Spinach and artichoke dip-Garlic link-Pizza Links-

Comment

Originally posted by ljw70 View Post
                    Is that in reference to my pictures or L20A's link ? My smoker is inside the shop right now but will be used outside as it is on casters.
                    If I am using an electric heat source (200F) with a cast iron pans to cover the burners (avoiding flareups) and my smoke source is from an external Smoke Daddy, where is the biggest source of concern for a fire?

Comment

Originally posted by Charcuteryan View Post
                      If I am using an electric heat source (200F) with a cast iron pans to cover the burners (avoiding flareups) and my smoke source is from an external Smoke Daddy, where is the biggest source of concern for a fire?

Comment

If you control the available air intake there is no real risk of fire. I think the easiest and cheapest way to get your heat up is with charcoal & wood. Again, JMHO.
                        BTW, my initials are LJW and my handle on another BB is LJW50. LOL
                        MES 30"
                        A-Maze-N pellet smoker
                        Weber 22" kettle
                        E-Z-Que rotisserie
                        Weber Smokey Joe
                        Big Weber Gasser
                        Cracker Smoker
                        UDS

Comment

How bout this?

Its called a soup can stove

The risk of fire comes when the unexpected happens. Like a sausage falls on your element or the door blows open and sum leaves fly in. Or your smoke generator happens to spit out a tiny ember. There is always a risk of fire when electric or smoke is involved

Comment

Have another plug in burner at home I am going to try tonight by plugging it into a separate 20amp circuit to see what temperature I can get. The soup can stove is interesting. What about lava rocks?

Comment

Re:

Ask your electrician if it would be possible to "sequence" the two burners.
                              (one would be like an after burner) It would kick on and off to reach the higher temp you want and maintain it. The way heat strips in a Heat Pump
                              work. Often those rely on Klixon switches, which contain a bi-metalic disk that snaps in either direction to make or break contact. They are rated in terms of temp's that they will make or break at.

It would be one way of sequencing two burners so that one would be on all the time and the other kick on and off when the temp you want is reached.
                              This way it "should" maintain that temp you want.

It's just a thought you may want to discuss with him.
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc1URQgQWNo

Comment

That's a good thought, however it would require a 220V circuit due to the number of amps being pulled when both burners are on.

Comment

Working...
                                X