Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ljw70 View Post
    Has anyone used mineral wool?
    tracey (WALLE) made an insulated smoker with it.............pretty sure it is the same stuff.

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7134
    sigpic
    it's all good my friend..........

Comment

Have you checked for air leakage? That (1659watt) burner should be plenty to get you there. My wattburner only has a 600watt element and it'll get to 300°. You may just have draft or leakage issues. Turn that smoke daddy on and watch for leaks.
      Mark
      sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
      Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Any fat drips down on a full-on electric heating element will instantly flame up.

dcarch

Comment

Originally posted by dcarch View Post
          Any fat drips down on a full-on electric heating element will instantly flame up.

dcarch
          It would have to be full on. But I'm sure it could happen.

Nobody has even mentioned this. Steal the guts from an electric oven. The element and mounting hardware, thermostat and cord. Most turn on about 170. The smoker is big enough for it and in that big of chamber you'd probably have to turn it up. I would line the bottom area with something fire proof though. And maybe a perforated plate over the element.
          S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
          CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
          New Braunfels Bandera
          UniFlame Gas Grill
          Lil Chief

Comment

I run 875 to 925 watt elements have no problem running 225°
            Here is how I do it also I run a water pan for stable temps.
            just add a couple of coal briquetts and wood chips.

Terry here
            Still have Christene

Comment

Originally posted by dcarch View Post

dcarch
              Cast iron drip pan will be present

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRay View Post
                It would have to be full on. But I'm sure it could happen.

Nobody has even mentioned this. Steal the guts from an electric oven. The element and mounting hardware, thermostat and cord. Most turn on about 170. The smoker is big enough for it and in that big of chamber you'd probably have to turn it up. I would line the bottom area with something fire proof though. And maybe a perforated plate over the element.
                Oven elements are 240 volt

Comment

Oven elements are 240 volt
                  The ones in RV's are generally 120v. But you can get the parts to build what you want from Johnstone Supply or Graingers.
                  Mark
                  sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                  Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

In my fridge build, I used rockwool to replace some of the fiberglass insulation. I am using a 1500w Brinkman type replacement burner from Bass Pro for about $35.00. I can go well over 300 degrees. Insulation and minimal air leakage is the key.
                    Don..

2 of me best buds ever! R.I.P guys

Comment

picture somewhere of someone using the base from a kettle to heat a wooden smokehouse.

That seemed pretty efficient, safe and cheap :-)
                      Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                      Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
                        The ones in RV's are generally 120v. But you can get the parts to build what you want from Johnstone Supply or Graingers.
                        That's right -- 30 AMP breaker required with the funnly looking plug.... I may go that route if I can't get heat up after insulation

Thanks

Comment

Is any brand silicone safe to seal up the cracks?

Comment

If I am using an electric heat source (200F) with a cast iron pans to cover the burners (avoiding flareups) and my smoke source is from an external Smoke Daddy, where is the biggest source of concern for a fire?
                            From one of the elements malfunctioning. Or something dripping on one and catching fire.

Basically line the floor with firebricks, and I'm cheap and cheerful so I'd line the walls with rockwool and then seal it with heavy duty aluminium foil or really really thin metal sheet. The kind you can drive a standard staple through. Tack that and the rockwool to the wooden sides (run it under the bricks as well) and you'd then have a totally fireproof, insulated unit you could run with just about any heat source.

A mini- weber base works really well.

You've obviosuly not got the electric price rises we've got over here or you'd never go anywhere near an electric smoker :-)

I'll try the question again :-) Is there a material I could line the inside with that would help retain the internal temperature?
                            Thanks
                            Yeah - rockwool and thin metal sheet - you don't want the insulation to get near the food. None of it's good stuff to ingest :-)
                            Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                            Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Is any brand silicone safe to seal up the cracks?

not in my opinion. aall silicones are not equal.

there are some he brands that are good for use in food plants and where there is no direct contact with food. burn point is around 500 degrees.

there are fireproof silicones that are good to 1200 degrees .
                              I never found a food safe one with high temp. I even called a mfg rep for one of the
                              companies.

I chose never to run my smoker over 500 degrees.....

what kind of gasket for you have for the door?

I think I used a ge silicone just read the back of the tube. I can get you the number but it will be a week or so till I'm not sitting in a tree.

keep us updated
                              I love home builds

Comment

Originally posted by nickelmore View Post
                                not in my opinion. aall silicones are not equal.

there are some he brands that are good for use in food plants and where there is no direct contact with food. burn point is around 500 degrees.

there are fireproof silicones that are good to 1200 degrees .
                                I never found a food safe one with high temp. I even called a mfg rep for one of the
                                companies.

I chose never to run my smoker over 500 degrees.....

what kind of gasket for you have for the door?

I think I used a ge silicone just read the back of the tube. I can get you the number but it will be a week or so till I'm not sitting in a tree.

keep us updated
                                I love home builds
                                Link to high heat silicone I purchased: (good success with smokers in the review section):
                                http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000DZBLNC/..._26725410_item

Also, as an update, I have ordered 12 batts of 1" Owens Corning Thermafiber (rockwool). I will be lining the inside of the smoker with it and covering it with 1/4" plywood. It is rated for 2000F. The bottom 1/3 of the smoker will be lined with aluminum sheet metal except for the bottom, which will be 1/2" cement board. The door gasket will be a high temperature gasket from Allied Kenko supplies in Houston. I am anxious to get the insulation installed to see what temperature I can get up to with the single burner. With the combination of insulation and reduction of cubic feet, I am optimistic.

Comment

Working...
                                X