Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A-MAZ-N Smoker's Users. Make your own dust.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been watching this thread, and it's all good info!!!
    Don't Kill It!!!

SavannahSmoker
    I applaud anyone who makes life a little easier for other S-M Members!!!

At $.52/lb., you're getting a "Blended Pellet" from BBQr's Delight. These pellets are 70%-80% Oak or Alder and 20%-30% Flavor Wood. Your Cherry Pellets are Mostly Oak with some Cherry added. In other words, your mostly smoking with Oak.

I buy "Tons" of Pellets and Sawdust from different sources. Currently, I have over 10-Tons of Pellets & Sawdust on hand. The Pellets & Sawdust I stock are 100% Flavor Wood, so if you buy Cherry, you get 100% Cherry Wood in your Cherry Pellets.

There are lots of ways to collect sawdust. I tell customers all the time, that sawdust from a miter saw or table sawdust is absolutely perfect to burn in the AMNS. You may be able to collect some sawdust from a local cabinet shop, but you have to make sure there's nothing else in the sawdust, like MDF, plywood, laminate or other icky stuff that can make you sick. They will most likely have Oak, Cherry, Maple and Hickory. Some guys who do trim work save their sawdust and use it in their AMNS. I even have a few customers who use their miter saw to cut up limbs. They save the sawdust and dry it in the oven, just like SavannahSmoker did.

I won't bore you guys with my process for collecting, grinding and bagging sawdust, but it a ROYAL PITA! Dirty, Dusty and not all that much fun! I can't rely on sawdust from cabinet shops, because they will not separate the good from the bad, and goes into the same dust collector.

You can burn just about any pellets in the AMNPS, some pellets perform better than others. I just found out that the variety pack at Cabelas do not burn very well. I sell pellets, but you can get them locally too. The AMNPS was created because I needed a Smoke Generator that would perform well during "Cold Smoking", but also perform at temps over 200°. Sawdust is combustible at around 180°-200° inside your smoker, and the sawdust wants to jump rows. The other reason I created the AMNPS, was because some guys did not want to be "Stuck" buying sawdust, when they already owned pellets. Sounded reasonable to me!!!

It's All Good My Friends!!

Todd
    Last edited by TJohnson; 01-08-2012, 06:48 AM.
    - http://www.AMAZENPRODUCTS.COM
    - 40" MES
    - Char-Broil The Big Easy Infrared Turkey Fryer
    - Stainless Steel BBQ Grill
    - Gander #12 Grinder
    - Cabelas 20# Stuffer
    - Gander Meat Mixer

Comment

Originally posted by PitRow View Post
      I've heard about doing this before, but I've yet to try it. Mostly because I don't have a pellet smoker, so no pellets, plus I still have about 5 pounds of dust sitting around.

However if there ever comes a day that I need some dust and don't have any, I will be trying this.

My question is though... has anybody tried the AMNS with the Luhr Jensen style smoking chips? They're not quite as fine as the dust, but seem pretty similar pellets I'd think. Seems like every store around here carries them for cheap, so I wonder if you could use those instead.
      Originally posted by TJohnson View Post
      I've been watching this thread, and it's all good info!!!
      Don't Kill It!!!

SavannahSmoker
      I applaud anyone who makes life a little easier for other S-M Members!!!

At $.52/lb., you're getting a "Blended Pellet" from BBQr's Delight. These pellets are 70%-80% Oak or Alder and 20%-30% Flavor Wood. Your Cherry Pellets are Mostly Oak with some Cherry added. In other words, your mostly smoking with Oak.

I buy "Tons" of Pellets and Sawdust from different sources. Currently, I have over 10-Tons of Pellets & Sawdust on hand. The Pellets & Sawdust I stock are 100% Flavor Wood, so if you buy Cherry, you get 100% Cherry Wood in your Cherry Pellets.

There are lots of ways to collect sawdust. I tell customers all the time, that sawdust from a miter saw or table sawdust is absolutely perfect to burn in the AMNS. You may be able to collect some sawdust from a local cabinet shop, but you have to make sure there's nothing else in the sawdust, like MDF, plywood, laminate or other icky stuff that can make you sick. They will most likely have Oak, Cherry, Maple and Hickory. Some guys who do trim work save their sawdust and use it in their AMNS. I even have a few customers who use their miter saw to cut up limbs. They save the sawdust and dry it in the oven, just like SavannahSmoker did.

I won't bore you guys with my process for collecting, grinding and bagging sawdust, but it a ROYAL PITA! Dirty, Dusty and not all that much fun! I can't rely on sawdust from cabinet shops, because they will not separate the good from the bad, and goes into the same dust collector.

You can burn just about any pellets in the AMNPS, some pellets perform better than others. I just found out that the variety pack at Cabelas do not burn very well. I sell pellets, but you can get them locally too. The AMNPS was created because I needed a Smoke Generator that would perform well during "Cold Smoking", but also perform at temps over 200°. Sawdust is combustible at around 180°-200° inside your smoker, and the sawdust wants to jump rows. The other reason I created the AMNPS, was because some guys did not want to be "Stuck" buying sawdust, when they already owned pellets. Sounded reasonable to me!!!

It's All Good My Friends!!

Todd
      As Mentioned by Todd some brands of Pellets aren't 100% Flavor wood.Pit Row brought up Luhr-Jensen Chips and Chunks.The Luhr-Jensen Brand is cut with Alder on all the different flavors,Other than Alder ObviouslyAnd would Traeger Pellets work for Savannah Smokers method?Being flavored with oil
      sigpic

Certified Sausage Head

Comment

Originally posted by Critterhunter View Post
        As Mentioned by Todd some brands of Pellets aren't 100% Flavor wood.Pit Row brought up Luhr-Jensen Chips and Chunks.The Luhr-Jensen Brand is cut with Alder on all the different flavors,Other than Alder ObviouslyAnd would Traeger Pellets work for Savannah Smokers method?Being flavored with oil
        I'm not 100% sure if any flavored oils are added to Traeger Pellets
        Oil is used in the manufacturing process to lubricate the dies

Traeger Pellets are a "Blended Pellet", and mostly Oak or Alder, depending on which plant they came from

TJ
        - http://www.AMAZENPRODUCTS.COM
        - 40" MES
        - Char-Broil The Big Easy Infrared Turkey Fryer
        - Stainless Steel BBQ Grill
        - Gander #12 Grinder
        - Cabelas 20# Stuffer
        - Gander Meat Mixer

Comment

I'd like to add to the discussion here. I have 2 cold smoke generators and use both sawdust and pellets. I also make my own charcoal, both for cooking and for homemade cannon powder. I use a hand grinder to grind charcoal then it goes into the ball mill for final milling. Anyway, the same hand grinder works great for grinding pellets into dust. I don't do this as a rule, but I have done it in a pinch. Usually I harvest the dust from my radial arm saw when I cut wood chunks for my GOSM.

BTW, I also think this is a great and informative thread. Yes it has morphed into other semi-off-topic comments, but that is how a normal discussion takes shape. Great thread Sav.

Tom

Comment

Working...
          X