Lang, Yoder, or Horizon??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sixx-Tenn View Post
    Thanks for the info on the kettles. Did a quite a bit of research and I've found that these kettles have some 3rd party accessories that you can use (Smokenator, HoverGrill, Rib-O-Lator, and some kinda pizza accessory) and along with an automatic temperature controller (pitmaster IQ110) they can turn your kettle into an AMAZING MACHINE

The only question is do you have the same type of ability on expansion with the 26" kettle as you do with the 22"? My research is showing that a few of the 3rd party accessories aren't available for the 26" kettles, while alot of them fit both.

Do you have any info that can be useful for my research to help me in making an informed, educated decision????

THANKS
    What kind of "expansion" are you talking aboot, or interested in? .... As far as the "Smokenator" is concerned, IMO, you get will get excellent results by just using chunks of wood on your fuel source (briquettes of lump).... They both do the same thing, provide smoke to your cook..... The 26.75" definitely offers more cooking area, which if you need it, it may be a good choice.... An option is 2 (OR MORE) 22.5" kettles if you have the room & they will not only give you more grill space, but will give you the option of running a rotisserie on one (Think 2 chickens, etc) and have something else going on the other 1..... Just a thought..... I think they are really versatile cookers for almost anything..... Most of the folks on here have (at least) one in their arsenal.

As for "true" smokers, like you asked aboot, I have to let the experts comment on that..........
    Last edited by Fishawn; 01-15-2013, 12:18 AM.
    sigpic

Comment

Since your inquiries have been all over the spectrum from kettle to Lang, I would suggest that you slow down a little bit. Get a smaller and less expensive unit and cut your teeth on it. Some of the best damn bbq around comes from guys using small inexpensive cookers (I used the word cooker because it doesn't even have to be a dedicated smoker). The only thing is they have the principles down and know how to use their equipment. A lang in the wrong hands will give you expensive crap bbq.

Get something small until you figure out what you are after and what road you are going to take...compete? Cater? Backyard Chef? Hell, this wasn't for me after all? After you have an idea where you want to go, plotting the road to get there is way easier to do.
      BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
      Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
      I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Originally posted by BBQ Engineer View Post
        Since your inquiries have been all over the spectrum from kettle to Lang, I would suggest that you slow down a little bit. Get a smaller and less expensive unit and cut your teeth on it. Some of the best damn bbq around comes from guys using small inexpensive cookers (I used the word cooker because it doesn't even have to be a dedicated smoker). The only thing is they have the principles down and know how to use their equipment. A lang in the wrong hands will give you expensive crap bbq.

Get something small until you figure out what you are after and what road you are going to take...compete? Cater? Backyard Chef? Hell, this wasn't for me after all? After you have an idea where you want to go, plotting the road to get there is way easier to do.
        Good advice. And I shoulda said out of the gate... a WSM will teach you all you need to know about fire and smoke, and turn out some great Q. Admittedly, the kettle is cheaper, but the WSM will do some things that the kettle has a hard time with.
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
          What kind of "expansion" are you talking aboot, or interested in? .... As far as the "Smokenator" is concerned, IMO, you get will get excellent results by just using chunks of wood on your fuel source (briquettes of lump).... They both do the same thing, provide smoke to your cook..... The 26.75" definitely offers more cooking area, which if you need it, it may be a good choice.... An option is 2 (OR MORE) 22.5" kettles if you have the room & they will not only give you more grill space, but will give you the option of running a rotisserie on one (Think 2 chickens, etc) and have something else going on the other 1..... Just a thought..... I think they are really versatile cookers for almost anything..... Most of the folks on here have (at least) one in their arsenal.

As for "true" smokers, like you asked aboot, I have to let the experts comment on that..........
          I guess the correct word should've been "versatility" and not "expansion"... Thanks for the info though...
          Last edited by Sixx-Tenn; 01-15-2013, 07:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BBQ Engineer View Post

Yeah I was starting to realize exactly what u just told me. I guess I got excited when the Mrs told me she'd buy me a "real deal" cooker that I got a tad bit crazy. With u being a "BBQ Engineer" and all (lol) I knew u'd have some pretty good insight. I'mma go with the kettle and just expand from there. At least I'll still have a better quality grill than this "wack ass" UNIFLAME I have. THANKS...

Comment

Trust me, the Kettle werks!
              Mark
              sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
              Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Originally posted by Sixx-Tenn View Post
                I'mma go with the kettle and just expand from there. At least I'll still have a better quality grill than this "wack ass" UNIFLAME I have. THANKS...
                Good call... smoking on a kettle...

Notice the ceramic tiles t'wixt the heat and the meat...
                In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I have two 22.75 weber kettles . I can make enough ribs and chicken to feed a dozen people with them. I learned a lot from using them and am now ready to go with something bigger. Not to replace them however. They will still do the lion's share of my cooking. Reason I want bigger is that I would like to have my kettles freed up for wings, ABT's ,fatties etc while the larger cuts are cooking. I also decided to get a well made heavy gauge permanent piece that works right out the box. I also like the reverse flow thing. So I am about to order myself a lang patio original. Right after I redo the bathroom or Mrs.Bee will kick my butt lol!
                  Weber Smoky Joe
                  18" Weber Silver
                  22.5" Weber Gold
                  22.5" Weber Silver
                  UDS X 2
                  Masterbuilt 30" MES digital
                  Masterbuilt MES 40" digital
                  Masterbuilt cold smoke attachment
                  Char-Broil Big Easy 3 in 1
                  Char-Broil COS with Ron Fischer mods.
                  Dual Char-Broil BBQ Bistros
                  Blackstone three burner flat top
                  5" AMZNPS
                  Vortex x 2
                  Maverick ET 73
                  Maverick ET 732
                  Maverick Pro Temp instant read thermometer
                  Thermo Works Smoke Dual Channel Thermometer
                  Pitmaster iQue 110
                  sigpic

Comment

Think of it like this: for a benji, you can get a weber 22.5. You can then "pimp that ride", and get a better idea as to what it/you can/cant do. If after a year, you want to change horses, you probably can sell it for 80% of what you paid, easily. Once upon a time, in a galaxy far far away, I did a steamship round for a wedding I catered in a 22.5 modded with a 55 gal drum. Wish I still had the pics. Its all what you make it.....
                    Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

Working...
                    X