Smoked Tullibee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoked Tullibee

A guy at work wants me to smoke some Tullibee. He caught them last weekend. Can someone help me on how to do this. The fish are whole. I have no idea where to start and I told him I would researh it before I told him to bring them over
    KCBS Competition team Bill-B-Que-Minnesota
    KCBS-CBJ
    Cookshack FEC120
    Yoder Kingman/Comp Cart
    Weber Performer
    Weber Smokey Mountain
    Rocks Stoker WIFI
    ThermoWorks Pro BBQ Kit
    ThermoWorks Thermapen Orange

http://www.yodersmokers.com/

www.amazenproducts.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bill-...8578881?ref=hl

I have a FaceBook page for our BBQ team Bill-B-Que
    Please like the page if you would like so you may keep up with what we are doing

Sorry, not sure what a Tullibee is. Can you fill us/me in on what it is? Similar to?
    sigpic

Comment

It is similar to whitefish but alot smaller. They average about 2lbs/each
      KCBS Competition team Bill-B-Que-Minnesota
      KCBS-CBJ
      Cookshack FEC120
      Yoder Kingman/Comp Cart
      Weber Performer
      Weber Smokey Mountain
      Rocks Stoker WIFI
      ThermoWorks Pro BBQ Kit
      ThermoWorks Thermapen Orange

http://www.yodersmokers.com/

www.amazenproducts.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bill-...8578881?ref=hl

I have a FaceBook page for our BBQ team Bill-B-Que
      Please like the page if you would like so you may keep up with what we are doing

Comment

I know the old Finlanders around here will clean them and pour course salt in the cavity let them sit for 24 hrs rinse them very well and smoke them for 24 hrs..I have never try this way of curing but I have eaten lots of smoked tullibee and it is excellent
        sigpicbrinkman pitmaster deluxe
        members mark upright propane smoker
        kingsford bbq
        23"weber kettle

Comment

Hmmmm...... I really only have on hands experience with Salmon-Steelhead-Trout-Halibut & a few Perch/Sea Bass..... I would like to refer your question to some of the guys/gals that have experience with that type of fish..... If I were to take a guess, I would brine overnight in a salt/sugar/water mix as a base & add whatever else you felt fit it...... At the 2 lb+- range, I would not go heavy on the salt, as I think an overnight brine with a solution I would use for Salmon, etc. may be too salty in the end. Maybe 1/2 the amount of salt?..... Rinse lightly under cold water after brining, pat dry with paper towels & let dry a couple of hours (or about 1 hour with a fan running on it if available)..... before smoking.

I do not use any cure when I smoke/process fish in this way, but you may want to..... Some do & some don't..... I don't really have any clue about Tullibees & if they should require a cure? So that's up to you....

Smoke @ 160-180 degrees until done..... I don't test temps, just "doneness" by look & feel..... Hope this helps somewhat, if you don't get any better (other ) info
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
            Hmmmm...... I really only have on hands experience with Salmon-Steelhead-Trout-Halibut & a few Perch/Sea Bass..... I would like to refer your question to some of the guys/gals that have experience with that type of fish..... If I were to take a guess, I would brine overnight in a salt/sugar/water mix as a base & add whatever else you felt fit it...... At the 2 lb+- range, I would not go heavy on the salt, as I think an overnight brine with a solution I would use for Salmon, etc. may be too salty in the end. Maybe 1/2 the amount of salt?..... Rinse lightly under cold water after brining, pat dry with paper towels & let dry a couple of hours (or about 1 hour with a fan running on it if available)..... before smoking.

I do not use any cure when I smoke/process fish in this way, but you may want to..... Some do & some don't..... I don't really have any clue about Tullibees & if they should require a cure? So that's up to you....

Smoke @ 160-180 degrees until done..... I don't test temps, just "doneness" by look & feel..... Hope this helps somewhat, if you don't get any better (other ) info

You are dead on Scott. Brine them, and actually use the brine Scott mentioned with Salt/Sugar/Water/other spices. Google works great for your kind of fish. I found 15 brine recipes for Tullibee when I looked. Then I have always smoked fish around 180 until they looked done enough for me. I like fish on the medium rare to medium side, so it's never been hard to just pull them when I think they're there. Good Luck~
            Don

Humphrey's Pint
            Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5"
            Weber Performer (Black Top, Stainless Steel Table Edition circa 2005)
            Blackstone Professional Series 36" Griddle
            Weber Spirit SP-310 Gas Grill
            Anova One Sous Vide
            AMPS
            Purple Thermapen
            Maverick ET-733
            DigIQ DX2
            Misfit #1674

sigpic

Comment

I pretty much am with Fish on this one... Give this brine a shot. Is my Gramps' recipe which he used for tulibees and whitefish...

Smoked fish brine

2 3/4 cups pickling salt
              10 qts cold water-use good water
              1 cup brown sugar
              2 tbls garlic salt

Soak avg sized pieces 24 hrs, soak in fresh water 1 hour

Big thick pieces of fish, may require more time and smaller less. Once out of brine set on a rack with a fan blowing across fish til outside of fish dry, a coating will form on it called the "pellicle", is now ready for smoker. I also like to rub some brown sugar on the meat...

I smoke a bit on the hot side as well and when i got the color i want i get the temp up about 180 and smoke til meat starts to flake at the med thickness point. The residual heat will be enough to finish cooking the fish in the thickest parts.
              Charbroil SFB
              GOSM
              MES
              Dutch Ovens and other CI
              Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
              Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X