Brining beef?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BBQ Bob View Post
    I always inject my brisket and take the left over marinade and pour it over the meat.
    See..now here is where confusion also comes in. A marinade is NOT a brine. A marinade is a typically acidic mix used to break down tougher cuts of meat before cooking. I would not inject a marinade.
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
      See..now here is where confusion also comes in. A marinade is NOT a brine. A marinade is a typically acidic mix used to break down tougher cuts of meat before cooking. I would not inject a marinade.
      And this is where I go. I marinate beef, not brine. I do use phosphate in the marinade, but not much salt, so not a brine. I use some vinegar and beef stock, but I make my own stock and reduce it. With very little salt, just not necessary. I generally don't inject it...butt sometimes. Butt mostly it just gets a soak. I do put it in a vac bag to soak, I think that helps the "penetration" a bit.
      Last edited by Mark R; 09-14-2013, 06:01 AM.
      Mark
      sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
      Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Originally posted by Charcuteryan View Post
        If you brine beef it becomes corned beef. If you smoke it then it becomes pastrami. I got a killer pastrami recipe if you want it
        I am interested in looking at your pastrami recipe. Can you send it to me in a PM? Thanx.
        MES 30"
        A-Maze-N pellet smoker
        Weber 22" kettle
        E-Z-Que rotisserie
        Weber Smokey Joe
        Big Weber Gasser
        Cracker Smoker
        UDS

Comment

Ok, I gotta own up and fess up and apologize to Charcuteryan. I do have a credible recipe for Pastrami that does not have "cure" in it. It is from a world renowned chef. I have used it with no ill effects. Butt, I do not recommend it and will not post it. It is "old school" butt the more modern recipes using cure that I have produce a far superior product.
          Still, my bad and I'm sorry Charcuteryan.
          Mark
          sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
          Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

No need. Its cool. We are all here to learn from each other
            sigpicSmoke meat, not crack
            Sullys bangin' ass jerkey-
            Pepperoni-Pernil-Spicy snack stix-Ryans crab cakes-Dip for smoked fish-Lox-Beer brittle-Pizza crust-Spinach and artichoke dip-Garlic link-Pizza Links-

Comment

Originally posted by Charcuteryan View Post
              No need. Its cool. We are all here to learn from each other
              Craig
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X