Vacuum Sealer Tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scarbelly View Post
    I dont prefreeze anything - sausage gets frozen in bulk or if I stuff I wait unitl it is right at the point where it is going to start shrinking the sausage then hit the manual button and seal it
    The one we got is not automatic it has a vac/seal button and a seal button so im not sure if you can stop the sealing by hitting the button again or not? I need to try it i guess before putting juicy meat stuff in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Pandemonium View Post
      The one we got is not automatic it has a vac/seal button and a seal button so im not sure if you can stop the sealing by hitting the button again or not? I need to try it i guess before putting juicy meat stuff in it.
      I think you should be able to hit the seal button and and it should stop at that point, well with a slight lag time. When I vac pack items that have juices ie pp soups etc. I get them as cold as possible in the fridge to let the juices set up if they will. I also lay them flat to freeze so they fit nicely in the RV freezer for camping.

Comment

Ok so you can just put them in the bag that your gonna seal them in to put in the fridge, thats not too bad i was thinking putting it on another plate or something and that wont fly lol too many steps for me

Comment

Originally posted by Pandemonium View Post
          Ok so you can just put them in the bag that your gonna seal them in to put in the fridge, thats not too bad i was thinking putting it on another plate or something and that wont fly lol too many steps for me
          I'm sorry I got lost somewhere between the bag and the plate
          I prechill usually in the container that was used to cook with etc. then bag it and refridge/freeze. I typically don't freeze then bag because I had issues with the bag leaking air and as prev. pointed out wrapping first may help just anther step.

And always write the contents on the bag with a perm. marker because things sometimes look the same but taste different ie chili and spaghetti sauce

Comment

Originally posted by Checkered Past View Post
            I'm sorry I got lost somewhere between the bag and the plate
            I prechill usually in the container that was used to cook with etc. then bag it and refridge/freeze. I typically don't freeze then bag because I had issues with the bag leaking air and as prev. pointed out wrapping first may help just anther step.

And always write the contents on the bag with a perm. marker because things sometimes look the same but taste different ie chili and spaghetti sauce
            Good info thanks

Comment

Originally posted by DDave View Post
              So . . . do you guys freeze pulled pork or brisket slices before vac packing? Or just let the bag hang down and watch for the juice to get close?

Seems like it would be a pain to have to freeze everything first.

Dave
              Nope, I slice the brisket, put it in the bag, add a little au jus, and seal. Just before it starts sucking juice, hit the seal button. And yes, I double seal. As for the pulled pork... same thing.

Great thread BTW...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Originally posted by mulepackin View Post
                The paper towel gasket for moist items that I've referred to in other posts
                What exactly was the paper towel gasket? I think I remember someone else mentioning it in passing but I'm not sure what it was.

Dave
                CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                UDS 1.0
                Afterburner
                Weber Performer
                Blue Thermapen
                Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                Auber Smoker Controller
                Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                -
                "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

What exactly was the paper towel gasket? I think I remember someone else mentioning it in passing but I'm not sure what it was.

Dave
                  After your contents are in the bag, just shape a couple of paper towels the width of the bag and place inside on top of the items. It acts as a barrier to prevent the juices from getting sucked up into the vac machine.
                  sigpic
                  New Braunfels Bandera
                  New Braunfels Hondo
                  4-22.5" Weber Kettles
                  1-26" Weber Kettle
                  24"X72" Reverse Flow-Made in the U.S.A. by me
                  Navy Corpsman-'69-'73 Semper Fi

https://www.facebook.com/highrollersbbq/

Comment

You fold a piece of paper towel and insert it in the bag after you put the meat in near the sealing edge then when the vac. takes place it soaks up the juice. Tried it .. don't do it anymore .. also I quit recycling the bags found it to be a pita and had problems with sealing some of the bags.
                    Again only my .02 cents

Comment

Sorry Mickey,
                      Timing is everything

Comment

Originally posted by Mikey View Post
                        After your contents are in the bag, just shape a couple of paper towels the width of the bag and place inside on top of the items. It acts as a barrier to prevent the juices from getting sucked up into the vac machine.
                        So you just seal the paper towel in with the food??

I thought that's the way someone else described it but I wanted to double check.

Dave
                        CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                        UDS 1.0
                        Afterburner
                        Weber Performer
                        Blue Thermapen
                        Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                        Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                        Auber Smoker Controller
                        Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                        -
                        "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

You fold a piece of paper towel and insert it in the bag after you put the meat in near the sealing edge then when the vac. takes place it soaks up the juice. Tried it .. don't do it anymore .. also I quit recycling the bags found it to be a pita and had problems with sealing some of the bags.
                          Again only my .02 cents
                          I don't mess with the paper towels, or saving the bags either. I just freeze the stuff for a couple of hours and it's good to go in the vac sealer

Sorry Mickey,

Timing is everything
                          Who's Mickey?

That's what she said
                          sigpic
                          New Braunfels Bandera
                          New Braunfels Hondo
                          4-22.5" Weber Kettles
                          1-26" Weber Kettle

Comment

So you just seal the paper towel in with the food??

I thought that's the way someone else described it but I wanted to double check.

Dave
                            That's pretty much it.
                            sigpic
                            New Braunfels Bandera
                            New Braunfels Hondo
                            4-22.5" Weber Kettles
                            1-26" Weber Kettle

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
                              Nope, I slice the brisket, put it in the bag, add a little au jus, and seal. Just before it starts sucking juice, hit the seal button. And yes, I double seal. As for the pulled pork... same thing.

Great thread BTW...
                              I dont understand double seal? two seals at same end? and why? or do you double seal both ends?

Comment

We have been sealing for nearly 20 years and have never used paper towels or double sealing. If we have liquid we do a seal by hanging the bag over the side of the counter so the liquid stays down in the bag via gravity.
                                Scarbelly

Comment

Working...
                                X