Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IT guys and computer nerds I have a question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dave from what ive read its the isp that gives you a static and usually charge extra? So your saying my router will assign this static ip? just want to make sure
    On edit ok I see yes the router does it free

Comment

Originally posted by Pandemonium View Post
      Dave from what ive read its the isp that gives you a static and usually charge extra? So your saying my router will assign this static ip? just want to make sure
      On edit ok I see yes the router does it free
      The ISP can give you static IPs but you don't need them to. You can assign private static IPs yourself to your devices if you have a router between your ISP modem and your network. Your router can't assign a static. It can only assign a dynamic (which might change over time) address.

I have AT&T DSL. The DSL modem plugs into the WAN (Wide Area Network or Internet) port on my router. All of the devices on my network connect to the LAN (Local Area Network) ports of my router. (This can be done wirelessly or by wired connection.) I can assign addresses on the LAN side myself or I can let my router assign them. If I assign them myself, I need to make sure they are in the right range and I have to supply all of the other settings that a DHCP server would in order for the device to be able to communicate I can't control the addresses on the WAN side though, nor would I want to. That is the AT&T network engineer's job.

Hope this helps.

Dave
      CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
      UDS 1.0
      Afterburner
      Weber Performer
      Blue Thermapen
      Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
      Thermoworks Chef Alarm
      Auber Smoker Controller
      Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
      -
      "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

My Netgear has a tab that says static routes, I think thats where I need to be?

Comment

I tried the static IP route but kept getting shocked every time I touched my mouse so I set it back. I might try grounding my mouse next time. If that does'nt work Maybe I'll use a Cling Free laundry sheet for a mouse pad.

Thanks Dave!
          Smoke it.. and they will come!

Rob
          Recipes & Smokes in HD Video
          SmokingPit.com

Yoder YS640
          Yoder Wichita
          Arizona BBQ Outfitters Scottsdale
          Camp Chef FTG600 Flat Top Griddle
          Blackstone 22" Flat Top Griddle

Comment

Im pretty sure on what to do other than picking the ip to give it, I understand that the dvr is currently 192.168.1.5 so I know all will be the same except the 5 right? that I have to change?

Comment

My Netgear has a tab that says static routes, I think thats where I need to be?
              No. Routes are totally different. You assign static IP addresses on the device themselves -- DVR, computer, etc. On your router look for something that says DHCP server setup.

Im pretty sure on what to do other than picking the ip to give it, I understand that the dvr is currently 192.168.1.5 so I know all will be the same except the 5 right? that I have to change?
              That is correct but you also need to know that you are not assigning an IP address that is in the DHCP pool. If you statically assign it 192.168.1.5 and your router gives that address to another device (laptop or something that connects later) then neither device will be able to communicate.

I would guess that the Netgear is using 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.100 for the DHCP pool so if you assigned addresses starting at 192.168.1.101 you should be fine. But it would be better to look at the router config pages and find out for sure.

You also need to enter the subnet mask (most likely 255.255.255.0) the gateway address (most likely 192.168.1.1) and the DNS server addresses. You can find these by using ipconfig /all. There are some publicly available DNS server IPs that you can use if need be.

If you can post the results of the ipconfig /all command and the model number of your router, I think we can pretty much nail it down from there.

Dave
              UDS 1.0
              Afterburner
              Weber Performer
              Blue Thermapen
              Thermoworks Chef Alarm
              Auber Smoker Controller
              -

Comment

I will post that info soon, thanks for the major help Dave

Sent from a cell phone that is way cooler than yours!! Eat It!! $

Comment

here
                  Attached Files

Comment

I need a beer

Comment

here
                      Address Reservations is probably the easiest way to go from here.

When you click the Add button underneath the Address Reservation section, do you see a list of connected devices on your network?

Dave
                      UDS 1.0
                      Afterburner
                      Weber Performer
                      Blue Thermapen
                      Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                      Auber Smoker Controller
                      -

Comment

So Dave my numbers are 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.254 so tell me what last three digits to use?

Comment

Originally posted by DDave View Post
                          Address Reservations is probably the easiest way to go from here.

When you click the Add button underneath the Address Reservation section, do you see a list of connected devices on your network?

Dave
                          yes i do it shows the dvr and other crap

Comment

See next post.

Dave
                            UDS 1.0
                            Afterburner
                            Weber Performer
                            Blue Thermapen
                            Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                            Auber Smoker Controller
                            -

Comment

yes i do it shows the dvr and other crap
                              Perfect!!

Then just follow the instructions that you pasted into the PM which were.

To reserve an IP address:

Click the Add button.
                              Select the radio button of the computer you wish to add from the Address Reservation Table.
                              Click the Add button when finished.
                              Then click the Apply button after you have all the ones added that you want to add.

Dave
                              UDS 1.0
                              Afterburner
                              Weber Performer
                              Blue Thermapen
                              Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                              Auber Smoker Controller
                              -

Comment

Originally posted by DDave View Post
                                Perfect!!

Then just follow the instructions that you pasted into the PM which were.

Then click the Apply button after you have all the ones added that you want to add.

Dave
                                That was too easy heres the final shot, does it look right?
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X