Question about injecting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about injecting

I am going to do a brisket for Monday and would like to inject it with beef broth. I haven't injected a brisket before and am wondering about where and how many times to inject it. Also, how long before the cook should I do it?

I injected a pork butt last week and I think I may have done it too many times because after letting it sit for a day in the fridge there was a ton of liquid in the pan.
    I rub it every chance I get!

QUOTE = Meat Hunter

Granted, all this is just in my head. Until I win the lotto, or my career as a stripper pays off, I'm forced to use the kitchen counter....

Well, you should not inject so long before cooking. Couple hours is the norm. I inject on about a 2 " grid. Also, do not remove the needle all the way, but "'re-angle" it. Less total holes for the amount of injection.
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Thanks for the tip on re-angling! So I am going to do this from the side right? Not through the top. Or is it ok to come from the top/bottom?

QUOTE = Meat Hunter

Granted, all this is just in my head. Until I win the lotto, or my career as a stripper pays off, I'm forced to use the kitchen counter....

Comment

Top/Bottom is better actually...side (with the grain) leaves an easier path for the injection to drain...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Cool, thanks Rich. I was also going to crutch it this time which I haven't done before. I typically separate the point from the flat and just do them at the same time. If I wrap them in foil this time do I wrap them separately or together? I am asking because I am only going to have a temp probe in one of them. Oh, also on the probe thing. Am I supposed to wait to put the probe into the beef like with pork or is it ok to stick it in right away?
          I really appreciate the help. I keep trying new things and there are a lot of variables to consider. Your experience is invaluable to me :D

QUOTE = Meat Hunter

Comment

A really nice n easy way to "foil" is use a aluminum pan as the bottom and foil cover the top. I would suggest waiting 4-5 hours before inserting probe. And remember to back off the pressure on your plunger trigger before pulling needle out to avoid squirt gun like shots fired throughout kitchen. Yeah, I've done that a few times.lol
            sigpic

Comment

Also, make sure that your beef broth doesn't have too much salt in it. I used some stock once that I reduced in a pan to concentrate it & then it was very salty. Some briskets already have been injected with a somewhat salty solution before packaging it.
              MES 30"
              A-Maze-N pellet smoker
              Weber 22" kettle
              E-Z-Que rotisserie
              Weber Smokey Joe
              Big Weber Gasser
              Cracker Smoker
              UDS

Comment

Thanks for the tip on the plunger. I think I already do it instinctively since I haven't had much shoot back at me lately LOL but it is good to be reminded. I will look for some pans today. Sounds like a good idea.

Speaking of.... If I separate the point and flat from the get go and cook them separately at the same time, how do I go about making the burnt ends? Never done it and was thinking about trying it this time. When I pull the flat to let it rest, do I just cut the point up then and throw it back in the smoker, in the same pan, and crank the heat? How long should I do this for?

QUOTE = Meat Hunter

Comment

Beef Brisket Tutorial

Check that out... the fat layer you see running thru the hunk is the division between point and flat.

Comment

Cool, don't know how I missed that great tutorial with awesome pictures. Thanks!

QUOTE = Meat Hunter

Comment

Originally posted by someAZdude View Post
                      Cool, don't know how I missed that great tutorial with awesome pictures. Thanks!
                      No prob..it's what I do. Well, one of the things anyway

Comment

LOL, so I have more questions if you don't mind. I separated the meat and have a flat that is 5lbs and a point that is 3lbs after trimming. There was a huge chunk of fat on this baby so I think I lost close to 3 lbs of fat. I did trim it similar to the tutorial though. My question is this; how long should I cook it for? If I am going to pull it and crutch it at 150 then it should take less time right? I need to know when to get started so my dinner guests tomorrow aren't twiddling their thumbs and thinking up ways to roast the host.

QUOTE = Meat Hunter

Comment

Originally posted by someAZdude View Post
                          LOL, so I have more questions if you don't mind. I separated the meat and have a flat that is 5lbs and a point that is 3lbs after trimming. There was a huge chunk of fat on this baby so I think I lost close to 3 lbs of fat. I did trim it similar to the tutorial though. My question is this; how long should I cook it for? If I am going to pull it and crutch it at 150 then it should take less time right? I need to know when to get started so my dinner guests tomorrow aren't twiddling their thumbs and thinking up ways to roast the host.

My advice is always cook to temp..... OR, if you like, the tenderness test with a fork, butter knife, or whatever method you like to use.

Are you planning on slicing or pulling? ....... This would make a difference in when you would want to pull it from the smoker also.

I would also suggest planning on having it ready a couple hours before you are planning on serving it & try to pull it about 8-10 degrees shy of your goal temp & double wrap it in foil & place it in a cooler with old towels or newspaper. It will (or should) continue to cook another 5-10 degres as an estimate & will remain VERY HOT for several hours. Pull it out & open foil about 1/2 hour before you plan on pulling or slicing & it still may be too hot.
                          sigpic

Comment

Well, of course it's hard to say, depends on temps too, but that's not a huge brisky. Honestly I don't cook a ton of them, but I'd say allow 8 hours, and the cooler is your friend :{)

What say all you brisky machines?

Comment

I was intending to cook it to temp of 190 and pull it off. I purchased some foil pans and was going to wrap it in that and then cut the point and put it back on when I put the flat in the cooler lined with towels. I am wanting to slice it BTW. I was planning on leaving it right in the foil pan and going straight to the cooler. Does this sound right? Also, what I am asking about is the approximate time it will take to get the beast to temp so that I know what time I have to get started. 190 is when I want to pull it right? I have done a couple of briskets now and they turned out good but I am trying to improve my cooks and also to try new things which adds a bunch of variables to now consider. I am open to trying whatever you guys suggest in order to learn and enjoy :D

QUOTE = Meat Hunter

Comment

Working...
                              X