Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A-MAZ-N Smoker's Users. Make your own dust.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mulepackin View Post
    I've tried both the Luhr Jensen chips as well as the Frantz "sawdust" (which is actually more like planer or jointer chips). Neither one would stay lit for me. Todds mix seems to work as expected. I think Bear is dead on, in that Todds mix is mostly pretty fine "dust" and a little bit of chips as he described.
    Thanks for the info on that! Saves me some experimenting later. Guess I'll stick with Todd's for now then
    Mike
    Life In Pit Row

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
      I have had some success by using the small lump hunks mixed with chipped pecan. Needs to be about 50/50. I save the stuff that falls thru my charcoal chimney for this. lay the charcoal on the bottom and chips on top.
      That is a great idea too Rich...I seem to remember one of the cold smoke generator vids where they did something similar...smoke daddy I believe. At my place, the little pieces that fall through get lawn mower blown into the yard. Gonna save a few of em and dump into the chip tray of my gasser along with some pellets / dust.
      Last edited by BBQ Engineer; 01-06-2012, 12:12 PM.
      BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
      Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
      I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Originally posted by PitRow View Post
        Thanks for the info on that! Saves me some experimenting later. Guess I'll stick with Todd's for now then
        One thing I haven't tried with the Luhr Jensen chips that may work, would be to sift, or otherwise filter out the bigger "slivers" so it's mostly the fines. That might do the trick.
        sigpic

Beef. It's whats for dinner.

Comment

Originally posted by PitRow View Post
          I've heard about doing this before, but I've yet to try it. Mostly because I don't have a pellet smoker, so no pellets, plus I still have about 5 pounds of dust sitting around.

However if there ever comes a day that I need some dust and don't have any, I will be trying this.

My question is though... has anybody tried the AMNS with the Luhr Jensen style smoking chips? They're not quite as fine as the dust, but seem pretty similar pellets I'd think. Seems like every store around here carries them for cheap, so I wonder if you could use those instead.
          I've tried them and they would not stay lit. Sooo, I mixed in some of Todds dust to fill the voids and it worked......but to no advantage over just using dust.
          Mark
          sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
          Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

How do I delete this topic that turned to the ridiculous?
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcarver View Post
              I often disagree with Alton Brown too, but in this case I'm wondering if maybe he was talking about kiln dried wood flaring up too easily???
              Could be. Need more info on his reasoning. But most people would be smoking with it not cooking with it.

I imagine planking a salmon on a cedar or alder plank dried to 8% MC might be a bit challenging. Although I think you're supposed to soak them first. I don't know if the cooking planks are kiln dried or not.

Originally posted by Savannahsmoker View Post
              Well, you'd have to PM Richtee or Wingman or Texas-Hunter or bbally.

But why would you want to? It's a discussion. That's what a forum is for. We discuss things. Lots of different ways to do things. Not all things work for all people. Nothing wrong with that.

Throw something on the smoker. Sip a cool one. Relax.

Dave
              CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
              UDS 1.0
              Afterburner
              Weber Performer
              Blue Thermapen
              Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
              Thermoworks Chef Alarm
              Auber Smoker Controller
              Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
              -
              "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Savannah,

I think your thread has been a great success. It demonstrates a good way to do something that we all can use (if we choose to), and has initiated a discussion on other methods and techniques as well. In fact, I tried to give you , but it says I gotta spread em around first. I love this kind of thread and the discussion that it generated. Keep 'em coming!
                BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
                Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
                I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

i got my a maz n smoker from todd last year. i have used it all of once. this tread has enlightened me on many options for fueling this thing.

i am thinking this thread would be in my top 3 of read and reread threads of this week.... please dont kill it
                  Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

I agree. I've got a big old bag of pellets I got to try with my home built smoke daddy. I've got an AMZN smoker. I'm sure to be trying this out with my gear, as I obviously have with other chip and dust products. And you never know what someone might find at a garage sale that would fit into this context i.e. bags of pellets etc. I don't think this thread has been ridiculous at all. Rather a thought provoking discussion all around
                    sigpic

Beef. It's whats for dinner.

Comment

Savannah,
                      I rather enjoyed this thread, including your parts in it.
                      I found it very interesting, but what do I know---I was born with sawdust in my ears, and wood-chips up to my a-a-adams apple.

Bear
                      Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                      Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Natty Up!...Good idea!
                        Sunset Eagle Aviation
                        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Just got my A-MAZ-N smoker yesterday. It's the pellet one, so it's supposed to do both, pellets and dust. I think. Got some hickory pellets with it.

It's not ridiculous Savannahsmoker. Followed this whole thread. Soaking up all I can about this thing. Hoping to use pellets during the colder months and dust in the summer when it's too hard to keep the temps down in the GOSM.
                          Last edited by RowdyRay; 01-06-2012, 06:27 PM. Reason: spelling
                          S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
                          CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
                          New Braunfels Bandera
                          UniFlame Gas Grill
                          Lil Chief

Comment

I should have started this topic with if you have pellets available here is a way to make saw dust for the A-MAZ-Smoker.

I agree that some comments did include good information so I will attempt to consolidate it here. Now I might have missed something but these are the only three beside A-MAZ-Smoker dust I could find suggested in the comments. Help me out if I missed some.

1. Pellets made into saw dust if readily available like someone like me who uses a pellet smoker.
                            2. Sawdust from cabinet grade hardwood assuming it is not treated and one works with it to get it free.
                            3. Luhr Jensen style smoking chips but explain later by mulepackin that he tried it and it would not stay lit
                            ( BTW There are two types of A-MAZ-Smokers, one for pellets and sawdust and the original for sawdust.)
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                              Hmm, given that pellets would cost me about 10x what I buy sawdust for.

I'll pass.

And doesn't the amze-n smoker use pellets as well ?

So what's the advantage of changing pellets to dust given that you can use both anyway ?

I can see the fun fiddle factor involved. Just not sure if there's any practical advantage to be gained.
                              I would like, if you do not mind, to know your cost for pellets and saw dust.

The first A-MAZ-Smoker is for dust only and that is what I have so it is a big gain for me and fellow pellet smoker users.
                              sigpic

Comment

Here, you can see for yoself!
                                http://www.amazenproducts.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=21

BTW great thread!
                                Mark
                                sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                                Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Working...
                                X