No announcement yet.

Wood Chips in the A-MAZE-N Tube Smoker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood Chips in the A-MAZE-N Tube Smoker?

Anyone ever try wood chips in their A-MAZE-N smoker?
    I have the tube smoker and need to get more pellets but have some peppers I'd really like to get some cold smoke action onto tonight.
    I know you can use sawdust and I do have a few tubes worth of wild cherry sawdust but it's only been sitting for about a Month and not sure how long something like that should sit before it's ready to use.
    If you folks think the dust would be ready after only 1 Month I'll go ahead an use that but if not then would chips work?
    I don't see why not but figured I would ask first and see if anyone has tried chips.

Thanks anyone and everyone
    There is a cure...http://phoenixtears.ca/

sigpic

Originally posted by Fire it up View Post
    Anyone ever try wood chips in their A-MAZE-N smoker?
    I have the tube smoker and need to get more pellets but have some peppers I'd really like to get some cold smoke action onto tonight.
    I know you can use sawdust and I do have a few tubes worth of wild cherry sawdust but it's only been sitting for about a Month and not sure how long something like that should sit before it's ready to use.
    If you folks think the dust would be ready after only 1 Month I'll go ahead an use that but if not then would chips work?
    I don't see why not but figured I would ask first and see if anyone has tried chips.

Thanks anyone and everyone

Won't work in an AMNS----Doesn't mean you can't try.

I was one of the first testers, over two years ago, and I tried it.
    Some guys throw a chip or two in with their pellets in the AMNPS, and they say it works, but I can't think of a good reason to do that.
    The AMNS works Awesome with Dust, and the AMNPS works Awesome with Pellets.

The AMNTS (tube smoker) is new, and I didn't know it worked with dust, but I know it puts out too much smoke with pellets for my MES 40.
    Maybe you can use dust & chips in it---It's pretty new to me---Check with Todd.

Bear
    Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
    Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcarver View Post

Bear
      Hmmm...dust with chips, good idea!

Really do need to get on ordering some more rabbit food (that's what those pellets look like to me, what rabbits and guinea pigs eat )

Definitely would go with the dust just wasn't sure if sitting only one month was long enough for the smoke to not be bitter.
      It's not dust actually it's what shoots off the blade of a chainsaw so not sure exactly what you would call that

sigpic

Comment

Really do need to get on ordering some more rabbit food (that's what those pellets look like to me, what rabbits and guinea pigs eat )

Definitely would go with the dust just wasn't sure if sitting only one month was long enough for the smoke to not be bitter.
        It's not dust actually it's what shoots off the blade of a chainsaw so not sure exactly what you would call that

I would use sawdust from electric saws, like Radial saw, Miter "Chop" saws, etc, but I would not use sawdust from a chainsaw, unless you use cooking oil instead of bar & chain oil. Bar & Chain is too toxic to be in your smoke.

Bear
        Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Comment

I had thought about using saw dust from the chain saw but got to worrying about there being oil from the chain oiler mixed in. Have you used it before if so how did it go.
          Steve

Comment

but I would not use sawdust from a chainsaw, unless you use cooking oil instead of bar & chain oil. Bar & Chain is too toxic to be in your smoke.

Bear
            That's a really good point and I didn't even think of that.
            Guess I'll be throwing out the sawdust and giving chips a try.

Thanks for saving my smoke John

sigpic

Comment

That's a really good point and I didn't even think of that.
              Guess I'll be throwing out the sawdust and giving chips a try.

Thanks for saving my smoke John
              Thanks Jim!!
              I learned about the cooking oil in chainsaws when some of my chainsaw carving buddies cut some logs on park land. They weren't allowed to use regular bar & chain oil on the land, so they used cooking oil (LOL----used & strained).

Bear

Comment

So I would up stuffing the tube with wood chips and it worked out alright.
                Not quite the proper and smooth smoke that pellets use but in a pinch it did what I needed it to but still no replacement for pellets.

No pics but did a chunk of cheese for my Sister (she came running out with it when she saw I had some cold smoke flowing ) so I gladly added it and gave it a few hours of some good alder wood mixed with tobasco barrel oak wood.
                Also did some jalapenos and some no-heat jalapenos that are in the dehydrator now and will be making some jalapeno salt (Fishawn inspired) and no heat jap salt for the Sister.

sigpic

Comment

I would use sawdust from electric saws, like Radial saw, Miter "Chop" saws, etc, but I would not use sawdust from a chainsaw, unless you use cooking oil instead of bar & chain oil. Bar & Chain is too toxic to be in your smoke.

Bear
                  In the 60s i used a Bradley chain saw exclusively for making chips for smoking. Used just regular chain saw oil and i never tasted any oil in the smoke. Also never saw any oil on the chips. However i agree with bearcarver. Not a good idea. I am sure i got more oil products from siphoning gas from my dads car but why take the chance. I guess that would give new meaning to internal combustion.
                  That Bradley was one heavy sucka.
                  Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, Rage against the dying of the light.

www.wedlinydomowe.com/

http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/sausage...ure-calculator

ExhaustedSpark
                  Disabled
                  Member American Legion
                  Life Member NRA
                  Life Member ARRL

Comment

How would wood chips ONLY (garden mulch size) work out in one of the Amazen "tray" smokers?
                    No sawdust or pellets added.
                    The chips I'm referring to are totally safe. Thoroughly checked that first up.

Comment

Originally posted by gasbag View Post
                      How would wood chips ONLY (garden mulch size) work out in one of the Amazen "tray" smokers?
                      No idea... try it

You might bust up a few charcoal bricks/chunks and mix that in to help the burn.
                      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by gasbag View Post

Tried it back when Todd was developing them---Didn't work.
                        Some people have trouble burning pellets in the AMNPS, and pellets burn a whole lot easier than wood chips.

Bear

Comment

Hmm, try rich's suggestion with crumbled up briquettes, maybe 1/3 - 2/3 charcoal to wood chips might do the job. You wouldn't want then crushed to dust, but pea sized pieces would probably do the job. They'd fill the gaps between the larger woodchips and should allow a decent smoulder to develop.
                          Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                          Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

I would think wood chips just don't have enough surface area to really smolder well.

Comment

Won't work in an AMNS----Doesn't mean you can't try.

I was one of the first testers, over two years ago, and I tried it.
                              Some guys throw a chip or two in with their pellets in the AMNPS, and they say it works, but I can't think of a good reason to do that.
                              The AMNS works Awesome with Dust, and the AMNPS works Awesome with Pellets.

The AMNTS (tube smoker) is new, and I didn't know it worked with dust, but I know it puts out too much smoke with pellets for my MES 40.

Bear
                              I checked with Todd on that. He said that the dust will work but burn up very quick.

Comment

Working...
                              X