• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harry....FYI, I posted this here when you sent it out

http://smoked-meat.com/forum/showthr...=Umami+Brisket

Comment

Originally posted by dales133 View Post
      Where would you get the beef paste and could you substitute with marmite, Vegemite?
      You can buy beef base in most grocery stores in America. Even if you get beef cubes or bullion, you can crush and mix it with some water. This will make a beef paste also.

I've not tried Marmite or Vegemite but my UK friends gave me a bottle of Marmite and a bottle of Brown Sauce to take home to California.

http://www.slapyodaddybbq.com/2012/0...urrey-england/

http://www.slapyodaddybbq.com/2012/0...rtmel-england/

Comment

Love my brown sause used as pre rub on my pulled lamb the other night
        sigpic

Mary had a little lamb her father shot it dead, now it goes to school with her between two lumps of bread

Comment

Originally posted by chefrob View Post
          can't remember the last time i used a thermo at home..........
          same here. I may use it once a year for prime rib. we didn't have all this digital stuff growing up.
          brink vertical charcoal(the carp)
          18" old smokey charcoal grill/smoker
          cast iron Hibachi
          22" Kettle w/ "Smoke-EZ" styled riser extension
          & rotisserator
          12x7 wells cargo vending trailer(mods in progress)
          stuffer,slicer & more carp than i can fit in it...
          Marshall amps & various awesome guitars,drums,P.A.,etc.recording studio.....

Blues-N-Cues Concessions & Catering
          http://blues-n-cuesbbq.com/
          my music recordings-
          http://www.reverbnation.com/rlcltd

Comment

Great post thanks for sharing will try this on my next brisket.

Comment

Went by an Asian market this afternoon to rustle up some ingredients, And found they had Maggi seasoning in 2 different versions, one from China, the other marked "Imported from Europe" & "Product of Germany". I point this out because the listed ingredients are different. The one from Germany cost about a buck more, looks like the bottle/lable in the pic in Harry's how-to.

Comment

Originally posted by billebouy View Post
                Went by an Asian market this afternoon to rustle up some ingredients, And found they had Maggi seasoning in 2 different versions, one from China, the other marked "Imported from Europe" & "Product of Germany". I point this out because the listed ingredients are different. The one from Germany cost about a buck more, looks like the bottle/lable in the pic in Harry's how-to.
                Same recipie as far as I'm. Aware maggi make a load of Asian sauces and stuff too, I got a big bottle of the Asian one and it tastes no different to the European one
                sigpic

Mary had a little lamb her father shot it dead, now it goes to school with her between two lumps of bread

Comment

Originally posted by harsoo View Post
                  Many cultures around the world reach for Maggi as their go-to secret condiment. It's concentrated flavor in a bottle. Next time, just rub one drop on your grilled rib eye steak and you can taste the difference. Powerful stuff.
                  Been looking - so far no dice. Curious to try it now anyway :-)

Originally posted by harsoo View Post
                  You can buy beef base in most grocery stores in America. Even if you get beef cubes or bullion, you can crush and mix it with some water. This will make a beef paste also.

I've not tried Marmite or Vegemite but my UK friends gave me a bottle of Marmite and a bottle of Brown Sauce to take home to California.

http://www.slapyodaddybbq.com/2012/0...urrey-england/

http://www.slapyodaddybbq.com/2012/0...rtmel-england/
                  For beef you'd be better off using bovril - which is seriously concentrated beef extract. the others are yeast based and while high in umami, bovril will be better with beef. Plus it's also made in burton, like marmite :-)
                  You know we could well be one of the umami capitals of the world

Originally posted by dales133 View Post
                  Same recipie as far as I'm. Aware maggi make a load of Asian sauces and stuff too, I got a big bottle of the Asian one and it tastes no different to the European one
                  Don't be so sure.
                  I've seen lea and perrins original worcestershire sauce ingredients on the english bottles. And on the american bottles.
                  We don't have any corn syrup in ours.
                  Plus I've seen lots of knock off worcestershire sauce that has neither anchovies or tamarind in them - two of the main flavour ingredients of original worcestershire sauce.

Yep I know all about garum. Actually even though the original worcestershire sauce recipe was brought back from india, it's got obvious connections to the original roman fermented fish sauce. As the anchovies are fermented for a long time before use. Given how far the roman empire spread - it's not surprising that there are legacy sauces made from fermented/rotted fish around the globe.

So I've been thinking about this brisket recipe. I can see the point of using a lot of expensive hard to get ingredients - it raises the prestige of the finished product and impresses people.

But you could just as easily use similiar - but easier to source ingredients instead.

Any dried, wild mushroom would susbstitute for the shitake
                  bovril or a small amount of marmite/vegemite instead of the beef paste
                  soy superior dark soy sauce instead of the maggi
                  Anchovie fillets or paste instead of the bonito flakes
                  It has to be l&p worcestershire sauce. Or at least make sure it has both anchovy and tamarind in it.

I guess bovril would be just as difficult for you to get as the bonito flakes (this is the first time I've even heard of them) and maggi are for me :-)

Oh and throwing in some star anise is always good if you want to add extra umami to beef.

But I do like the overall concept

As far as cooking to texture rather than temp - got to say I haven't cooked much brisket. difficult to get anything of decent size over here and bloody expensive when you can, so it's not something that's likely to be a regular visitor to my bbq. But I notice pretty much all the bbq joints I see on triple D on the telly - don't check temps, or if they do it's when nobody's looking

Read the blog entry for the bbq classes. Looks like fun. But I suspect they are way way out of my price range. If they're giving away thermopens (£50 a go) I'd hate to think what the whole weekend cost.

One comment you made is definitely incorrect:
                  US style barbecue is a growing phenomenon and more and more BBQ restaurants are opening up in Britain.
                  Substitute london for britain and you might have a point. I don't - personally - know of any proper low and slow bbq restaurants in the midlands.
                  But proper bbq is defintiely getting more popular, the wider availabulity and dropping cost of smokers on amazon is testament to that.

Keep up the good work
                  Last edited by curious aardvark; 09-23-2012, 11:52 AM.
                  Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                  Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

US style barbecue is a growing phenomenon and more and more BBQ restaurants are opening up in Britain.
                    Been a few years, but my son went to the UK on a People to People trip. Spent 27 days in England, Irleand, Scotland and Wales. Got to meet with a MOP. It was a wonderful experience. Got to spend a few nights in a couple of folks homes. One couple that put him up for a weekend owned a "barbecue" restaurant in London. They treated the kids to a dinner at their restaurant. Sean (my son) was horrified. Being a Texas boy he knows good bubba-que. He said it was basically pot roast with sauce on it. Worry not... being a good southern boy he also knew to be gracious and thank them and say it was a delightful meal. Just sayin'. I'm hoping really good proper barbecue is spreading about.

As far as the other stuff, I made a trip to the local Asian Supermarket and came home with the following :

Attached Files
                    A few of my favorite things:
                    Good Whiskey
                    Good Food
                    Bad Girls
                    sigpic

NRA Endowment Member
                    Certified Glock Armorer

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                      Originally posted by dale133
                      Don't be so sure.
                      I've seen lea and perrins original worcestershire sauce ingredients on the english bottles. And on the american bottles.
                      We don't have any corn syrup in ours.
                      Plus I've seen lots of knock off worcestershire sauce that has neither anchovies or tamarind in them - two of the main flavour ingredients of original worcestershire sauce.
                      I'm inclined to agree with CA on this one. The Maggi I get in european import shops is not the same as I can get in the mexican isle at the grocery store. Same brand, different mixtures.
                      Mike
                      Life In Pit Row

Comment

Working...
                      X