help cooking brisket and spare ribs at same time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by newsmoker View Post
    ok awesome. you guys are right. the package says flat cut. so this will cook way different then a full brisket?
    Not really "different", just you have a smaller cut of beef as compared to a packer, that from my experience, is for me at least, the most difficult cut of meat to get "right"...... Are you planning on foiling it? Personally, I would, which will help protect it from overcooking & drying out...... Remember also, that if it does not turn out perfect, it may also be the beef not cooperating so to speak...... Each piece is different & you will realize this after cooking more...... If you have questions on foiling, or how you should approach the cook as far as times/temps/stall, etc. please let us know. We are here to help & no question will go unanswered...... We may not all agree on the answer, but the discussion of the hows & whys of the process may help you from having a piece of shoe leather in the end

this cost 26$ how much does a full brisket cost?
    Around my area, paying about $2.60 lb for a full packer, which is typically aboot 12-15 lb's
    sigpic

Comment

[QUOTE=Fishawn;398968]Not really "different", just you have a smaller cut of beef as compared to a packer, that from my experience, is for me at least, the most difficult cut of meat to get "right"...... Are you planning on foiling it? Personally, I would, which will help protect it from overcooking & drying out...... Remember also, that if it does not turn out perfect, it may also be the beef not cooperating so to speak...... Each piece is different & you will realize this after cooking more...... If you have questions on foiling, or how you should approach the cook as far as times/temps/stall, etc. please let us know. We are here to help & no question will go unanswered...... We may not all agree on the answer, but the discussion of the hows & whys of the process may help you from having a piece of shoe leather in the end

Yes i would really appreciate some help on all of that. haha

Comment

ok awesome. you guys are right. the package says flat cut. so this will cook way different then a full brisket?
        Time will vary, but I did a flat a short time ago and took about 5 hours at 275. Good luck can't wait to see some pics.
        sigpic

Comment

Yes i would really appreciate some help on all of that. haha
          ...... ....... It can be kinda overwhelming at first eh? ......

OK..... This is what I/Me/Scott would do.... There are lots of ways to get to the finish line & others will disagree with this, or that & that's great if it works for them, then do it .... I respect all methods & if someone wants to post on this thread a different method, I & I think most of us all would welcome it.... It's not right, or wrong, just different than the way someone else does it.... Enough PC talk?.... Let's get to work ..... I will be running this through me brain, so please fill in if I miss a step or observation

1- Rub (season) the brisket flat....... Some like to season it (rub), wrap & rest overnight in the fridge..... Personally, I pull the meat out of the fridge & let it rest at room temp for 20-30 minutes while getting the cooker to temp, then rub (season it)...... Use a good amount of your favorite rub & let it sit on the meat for 20-30 minutes. If you don't have a "Go To" rub, then let us know & we can suggest some options. Salt & pepper is basic, but will work fine if that's what you choose. There are a million options as far as rub ingredients go, so basically, there are not really any rules.

2- Brisket is rubbed & ready for a preheated smoker..... Place that baby on the cooker & let it smoke for a couple of hours, untouched & no peeking or taking off the lid for pics .... After a couple of hours, insert a temperature probe into the flat. I would aim for the middle of the flat, but slightly towards the squared off end a bit....

3- After 2-3 hours, you should be noticing some light crusting (bark) being built up on the exterior of the flat.... That's good..... Monitor the temperature & when it gets in the 165* range, take a look..... If the bark looks good, you are doing well..... (NOTE: You may see a plateau of even a slight decline in the brisket temp somewhere around 150-160*, which is common.... this is called the "stall" and it will start rising again. Don't freak out, be patient )

4- Somewhere around 165*, you should be ready for the foiling process..... Some like 160* & some 170* & some just wait until the bark looks "right" to them..... It's kinda an experience & preference thing.... I would say for your first, shoot for 165* & call it good ...... So, you have this hunk of brisket @ 165*...... You want to place this beast into heavy duty aluminum foil & seal it up tight with some liquid (about 1/4 cup+-)..... This can be juice, beer, Worcestershire, Parkay/Butter, broth, water or whatever you like, or a combination of all or anything .... Beef broth is pretty basic & works...... Seal it up tight with the liquid inside the foil & place it back on the smoker & try to insert the probe near or in the original hole area from your first probe insert.... Then place it back on the smoker with the "fold" sides of the foil directed up, so the juices will not leak out.

5- Cook the brisket until it reaches an internal temp of about 190* & check for tenderness..... You can pick up your probe & place it in another nearby area through the foil & see if it slides in & out easily..... If it does not, give it another 5* and check it again (repeat until it probes easy)..... When it is tender & probes easily like butter it is ready to take off.

6- Take it off & let it rest for at least 1 hour, still covered in foil...... When ready to serve, remove the brisket & slice, making sure to cut ~across the grain~ in widths about as wide as a pencil..... After slicing, take the juices that are left over & drizzle them over the slices, then serve..... Lightly tent the sliced brisket with foil until you dig in for seconds
          Last edited by Fishawn; 01-20-2013, 10:04 PM.
          sigpic

Comment

wow thank you for taking the time to write all of that. i will follow that. so sense im cooking ribs to i should start the ribs when the brisket is about 2 hours from being done.

Comment

so sense im cooking ribs to i should start the ribs when the brisket is about 2 hours from being done.
              Not quite sure I follow you on that
              sigpic

Comment

Personally, I would shoot for having the brisket (sounds like you have a flat) done aboot 1.5 -2 hours before the ribs

I read this part wrong lol sorry.

Comment

and you said 275 for the temp

Comment

Personally, I would shoot for having the brisket (sounds like you have a flat) done aboot 1.5 -2 hours before the ribs

I read this part wrong lol sorry.
                    No problem, yes, I would shoot for that time frame

and you said 275 for the temp
                    Temp is up to you (or anyone)...... I would try to keep 250ish on a flat & same for ribs, butt that's just me.... If it gets 275ish, no problem though, might just take a little less time

Good Luck
                    sigpic

Comment

fishawn thanks for all your help. i will take some pics and keep you guys up dated

Comment

fishawn thanks for all your help. i will take some pics and keep you guys up dated
                        You will Rock It!
                        sigpic

Comment

Guess all i can say is if i had to give oot i would be sending some to Fishawn for the great in depth instructions...

newsmoker, I dunno but if you plan on hangin with this bunch i would seriously rethink your screen name because it wont be appropriate for very long around here... The folks here will have you smoking like a seasoned vet in a short time if you stick with the forum...

PS: and lets not forget pics!
                          Charbroil SFB
                          GOSM
                          MES
                          Dutch Ovens and other CI
                          Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
                          Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Newsmoker enjoy your smoke today you will do fine

Fishawn great walk through on the brisky cook. I think i'll print it off and hang it on me wall.
                            Steve

Comment

Originally posted by erain View Post
                              Guess all i can say is if i had to give oot i would be sending some to Fishawn for the great in depth instructions...

newsmoker, I dunno but if you plan on hangin with this bunch i would seriously rethink your screen name because it wont be appropriate for very long around here... The folks here will have you smoking like a seasoned vet in a short time if you stick with the forum...

PS: and lets not forget pics!
                              Totally agree - Nice Job, Scotty!!
                              Hang in there, Newsmoker! Awesome thing about this place is that you will get an almost immediate response, with all sorts of ideas. Most will keep you between the rails and then you decided how YOU like it.

Oh Good Gawd...let's not do this again...or if we do, let's make it quick!!

Comment

Should be aboot thyme for an update or even maybe a MEGA update
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X