No announcement yet.

help cooking brisket and spare ribs at same time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copied and paste into a word doc ! Thanks Scott. This will come in handy for my first brisket. I can get flats pretty easy. I figure oto start with that then move up to a whole packer for burnt ends. ....so finish the post and add your burnt end method so I can add it to my doc.
    Weber Smoky Joe
    18" Weber Silver
    22.5" Weber Gold
    22.5" Weber Silver
    UDS X 2
    Masterbuilt 30" MES digital
    Masterbuilt MES 40" digital
    Masterbuilt cold smoke attachment
    Char-Broil Big Easy 3 in 1
    Char-Broil COS with Ron Fischer mods.
    Dual Char-Broil BBQ Bistros
    Blackstone three burner flat top
    5" AMZNPS
    Vortex x 2
    Maverick ET 73
    Maverick ET 732
    Maverick Pro Temp instant read thermometer
    Thermo Works Smoke Dual Channel Thermometer
    Pitmaster iQue 110
    sigpic

Comment

i put the mean on about 11 this morning west coast. the ribs are wrapped and the brisket is 160 is some spots and 120 in others. should i wrap it or let it keep cooking? how do i post pics?
      Last edited by newsmoker; 01-21-2013, 04:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
        ...... ....... It can be kinda overwhelming at first eh? ......

OK..... This is what I/Me/Scott would do.... There are lots of ways to get to the finish line & others will disagree with this, or that & that's great if it works for them, then do it .... I respect all methods & if someone wants to post on this thread a different method, I & I think most of us all would welcome it.... It's not right, or wrong, just different than the way someone else does it.... Enough PC talk?.... Let's get to work ..... I will be running this through me brain, so please fill in if I miss a step or observation

1- Rub (season) the brisket flat....... Some like to season it (rub), wrap & rest overnight in the fridge..... Personally, I pull the meat out of the fridge & let it rest at room temp for 20-30 minutes while getting the cooker to temp, then rub (season it)...... Use a good amount of your favorite rub & let it sit on the meat for 20-30 minutes. If you don't have a "Go To" rub, then let us know & we can suggest some options. Salt & pepper is basic, but will work fine if that's what you choose. There are a million options as far as rub ingredients go, so basically, there are not really any rules.

2- Brisket is rubbed & ready for a preheated smoker..... Place that baby on the cooker & let it smoke for a couple of hours, untouched & no peeking or taking off the lid for pics .... After a couple of hours, insert a temperature probe into the flat. I would aim for the middle of the flat, but slightly towards the squared off end a bit....

3- After 2-3 hours, you should be noticing some light crusting (bark) being built up on the exterior of the flat.... That's good..... Monitor the temperature & when it gets in the 165* range, take a look..... If the bark looks good, you are doing well..... (NOTE: You may see a plateau of even a slight decline in the brisket temp somewhere around 150-160*, which is common.... this is called the "stall" and it will start rising again. Don't freak out, be patient )

4- Somewhere around 165*, you should be ready for the foiling process..... Some like 160* & some 170* & some just wait until the bark looks "right" to them..... It's kinda an experience & preference thing.... I would say for your first, shoot for 165* & call it good ...... So, you have this hunk of brisket @ 165*...... You want to place this beast into heavy duty aluminum foil & seal it up tight with some liquid (about 1/4 cup+-)..... This can be juice, beer, Worcestershire, Parkay/Butter, broth, water or whatever you like, or a combination of all or anything .... Beef broth is pretty basic & works...... Seal it up tight with the liquid inside the foil & place it back on the smoker & try to insert the probe near or in the original hole area from your first probe insert.... Then place it back on the smoker with the "fold" sides of the foil directed up, so the juices will not leak out.

5- Cook the brisket until it reaches an internal temp of about 190* & check for tenderness..... You can pick up your probe & place it in another nearby area through the foil & see if it slides in & out easily..... If it does not, give it another 5* and check it again (repeat until it probes easy)..... When it is tender & probes easily like butter it is ready to take off.

6- Take it off & let it rest for at least 1 hour, still covered in foil...... When ready to serve, remove the brisket & slice, making sure to cut ~across the grain~ in widths about as wide as a pencil..... After slicing, take the juices that are left over & drizzle them over the slices, then serve..... Lightly tent the sliced brisket with foil until you dig in for seconds

for that. Printed and filed. I know what I'm smoking this weekend!
        New Braunfels Black Diamond
        18.5" WSM
        Weber Performer Deluxe Black
        18.5 Weber Kettle
        22.5 Weber Kettle
        Maverick ET732
        6, 8, 10 and 12' Lodge DO

Smoked Meat Misfits: "the change it had to come. We knew it all along. We were liberated from the fold, that's all" - The Who.

sigpic

Comment

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

ribs are amazing!!. just waiting on the brisket. sorry the pics are small i dont know how to make them bigger

Comment

Hows that brisket temp? Should be getting close I would think?
              sigpic

Comment

im just about to pull it off the smoker.

Comment

Finally got to me PC to view the pics.... Yes, the pics are small, butt the ribs look like they turned oot really nice

Rockstar

Everything seem to go OK on the Brisket Is it tender to probe?
                  sigpic

Comment

yes i think it went great. very easy to probe its almost time to cut it. thats going to be interesting

Comment

Originally posted by newsmoker View Post
                      yes i think it went great. very easy to probe its almost time to cut it. thats going to be interesting
                      ..... Remember, slice against the grain The grain on them typically runs at a slight angle to the "squared" end, so take your time & try to figure it out
                      sigpic

Comment

i think it turned out pretty good. i hope i cut it right.

Comment

i think it turned out pretty good. i hope i cut it right.
                          Kinda hard to tell how it was sliced with the small pics..... I tried to copy & resize them larger on Photobucket for you, but they lost all the pixels & were worse..... Maybe try adjusting the settings on your camera for larger pics?

Anyhow, glad it turned out good for you ...... Did it turn out good enough that you would do it again That's the true question
                          sigpic

Comment

yes i would love to. maybe try mopping it next time. bc i didn't put any fluid on it until the 3 hr mark. its not dry at all. also i need to get a full brisket. lol

Comment

yes i would love to. maybe try mopping it next time. bc i didn't put any fluid on it until the 3 hr mark. its not dry at all. also i need to get a full brisket. lol
                              That's all I needed to hear
                              sigpic

Comment

That's all I needed to hear

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X