Damn AMNPS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Panthur View Post
    Thanks guys. Lots of good tips I will be trying for sure. I suspect I will have better sucess with some of these ideas for sure. If not, I will e-mail Todd.
    Thanks to everyone.

I hope these tips will work out. We have the MES30 and MES40 - I will actually just pull my trip drawer completely out and the top vent all the way open when smoking with the AMNPS.

One thing is how are you storing your pellets? If they are open to the elements they may be taking in some moisture and that is why they are not staying lit. This is where the microwave tip comes into play - it will dry them out and hopefully you will be able to keep it burning.
    Where to Shop -
    www.OwensBBQ.com

Follow Tatonka Dust on Facebook -
    https://www.facebook.com/TatonkaDust

Comment

Bear, I have I believe the latest model of the MES 40. It is #20070512. The vent is on the upper left side looking at smoker from the front.

I store my pellets in the garage. Being summertime, it does get pretty hot in there I suppose, but the BBQ Delight brand I use have the resealable bag - like a ziplock type seal.

I e-mailed Todd and he said set water tray on bottom, put AMNPS on top of hole above where water tray normally slides in and pull chip loader out 2 inches. Tried this last night, including nuking pellets, in the darn thing still went out in 15 mins.

Comment

Originally posted by Panthur View Post
        Bear, I have I believe the latest model of the MES 40. It is #20070512. The vent is on the upper left side looking at smoker from the front.

I store my pellets in the garage. Being summertime, it does get pretty hot in there I suppose, but the BBQ Delight brand I use have the resealable bag - like a ziplock type seal.

I e-mailed Todd and he said set water tray on bottom, put AMNPS on top of hole above where water tray normally slides in and pull chip loader out 2 inches. Tried this last night, including nuking pellets, in the darn thing still went out in 15 mins.

That's why I asked you which one you have.

I would lose the water pan & put an 8 X 8 Foil pan under the square hole. Then put the AMNPS over the hole. Pretty much like Todd said, except you won't have to clean the water pan.
        Could be the pellets. I use Todd's Hickory pellets almost exclusively---Never goes out. I tried straight Cherry pellets, and it went out on me. I keep all of my pellets dry in empty juice jugs.
        The other thing is when you think it's lit good enough---It isn't---Blow it in & under the unburned pellets some more!!! Drive that fire in deeper!!

Bear
        Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
        Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

I will have to try to light it even better I guess. I think its possibly lack of air flow related issues myself tho.

Comment

I usually take the chip loader all the way out....maybe try a small fan pointed in that direction
            Masterbuilt Stainless Steel 40"
            Weber 22.5" WSM
            Weber Performer W/rotisserie X2
            Weber 22.5" Kettle Silver
            Weber 22.5" Kettle Gold
            Weber 1990 22.5" 3 Wheeler
            Weber 18.5" Kettle
            Weber 18.5" Bud Light Kettle
            Weber Smokey Joe
            GMG Daniel Boone
            Pit Barrel Cooker
            Maverick ET 73 and ET 732
            6X8 A Maze N Smoker and Tube Smoker
            Fastest Themapen on the market BLACK
            The Vortex

Comment

Storing your pellets in an air-tight container will make a huge difference. I ended up purchasing air-tight containers from Petco that are designed to store dry pet food. I got ones that fit into my shelving and hold 20lbs per container. I put labels on each container to mark the type/brand so I know what to grab based on what I want to cook.

That being said, using the microwave will help dry out any pellets that might have been exposed to some moisture.... but if they really get wet, you might as well throw them away as I have never been able to keep those lit.
              Smokem if you got em

Yoder YS640
              Weber EP-310 Gasser Grill
              A-Maz-N-Pellet-Smoker (AMZNPS)
              A-Maz-N-Tube-Smoker (AMZNTS)
              Frogmats
              Maverick ET 732
              Super Fast Purple Thermopen

Deano

"May the thin blue smoke be with you"

sigpic

Comment

I have the AMNTS and I use in mostly in my gas grill. I have never had any problem keeping it lit, but the gas grill is VERY well ventilated. I do light the crap out of mine though. I use a Bernzomatic TS8000 trigger start torch with MAPP gas. Gets hotter'n bloody hell. The metal is red within a couple of seconds. I apply the flame to the bottom and direct it upward. I follow that with a blast of air from an air gun on my compressor at about 20 psi until I have a roaring flame. I then let it burn for about 10 minutes. I used to use one of the little butane micro torches like the ones A-maze-n products sells on their website . They will do it, but it is a slow tedious process. You really need to get a good flame going to start. If you are just getting them to smoke, they won't stay lit.
                A few of my favorite things:
                Good Whiskey
                Good Food
                Bad Girls
                sigpic

NRA Endowment Member
                Certified Glock Armorer

Comment

Originally posted by Snarlingiron View Post
                  I have the AMNTS and I use in mostly in my gas grill. I have never had any problem keeping it lit, but the gas grill is VERY well ventilated. I do light the crap out of mine though. I use a Bernzomatic TS8000 trigger start torch with MAPP gas. Gets hotter'n bloody hell. The metal is red within a couple of seconds. I apply the flame to the bottom and direct it upward. I follow that with a blast of air from an air gun on my compressor at about 20 psi until I have a roaring flame. I then let it burn for about 10 minutes. I used to use one of the little butane micro torches like the ones A-maze-n products sells on their website . They will do it, but it is a slow tedious process. You really need to get a good flame going to start. If you are just getting them to smoke, they won't stay lit.

Yup---Exactly!!!

The little Butane torch is just right for Amazing Dust.

My Fat Boy Propane torch is hard to adjust low enough to keep from blowing the Dust out of my AMNS, but it's perfect for the Pellets in the AMNPS.

The Tube smoker isn't as touchy to keep lit, in most kinds of smokers.

Bear
                  Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                  Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Thanks guys. Lots of new things to try now..........Now I just need a day off to implement some of them....ha ha.

Comment

Working...
                    X