Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brining beef?

Just wondering what the masses think...
    I mean we brine chicken and pork to ensure moist outcomes but we always/sometimes/rarely inject beef...Soooo....Just wonderin about the hunky phosphate hunky brines and how that might translate to awesome beef...

Whatcha thinkin...
    Craig
    sigpic

I do brine or marinate with my beef but not with the MH line soo far. It's mostly a marinade with phosphate more than a brine, very little salt. For exact proportions click here []. Damn that din work, I just don know anymore....maybe never did.
    Mark
    sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
    Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

If you brine beef it becomes corned beef. If you smoke it then it becomes pastrami. I got a killer pastrami recipe if you want it
      sigpicSmoke meat, not crack
      Sullys bangin' ass jerkey-
      Pepperoni-Pernil-Spicy snack stix-Ryans crab cakes-Dip for smoked fish-Lox-Beer brittle-Pizza crust-Spinach and artichoke dip-Garlic link-Pizza Links-

Comment

Originally posted by Charcuteryan View Post
        If you brine beef it becomes corned beef. If you smoke it then it becomes pastrami
        If you cure beef with the correct spices it becomes "corned beef". If you smoke it with the correct spices, for the necessary time it becomes Pastrami.
        Mark
        sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?

Comment

Do marinade sometimes

Have injected some briskets and chucks. Not really sure if I could tell a difference or not?

Italian dressing is actually a pretty good, quick, easy marinade for beef. Typically go with something like EVOO, worshy or and soy, onions, garlic, brown sugar or honey on cuts that need something extra.

Local place (Stewart's Meats) where Wingman buys a lot of the jerky and pepperoni for the troops sells a great marinated Tri Tip
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Charcuteryan View Post
            If you brine beef it becomes corned beef. If you smoke it then it becomes pastrami. I got a killer pastrami recipe if you want it
            Here's something you might want to peruse:

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27
            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Almost all the beef injections out there commercially use phosphates. You can inject them as well. I feel they are better applied as a 'soak", but it's a helluva lot faster with an injection. You do run the risk of "pockets" of flavor if not enough time is left for the inj to disperse evenly, and of course.."tracks" in the meat...depending on the brine's composition.
              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

OK to clarify...Not considering a cure...Thinking if the osmosis thing that makes chicken juicier would also work for beef... Cant see why not...But using it as an injection would not be so good...Maybe...Doin a lot of mumbling in my head right now...
                Craig
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                  and of course.."tracks" in the meat
                  Tracks could = DQ. Gota be carefull. I injected a brisket recently with Shitaki mushrooms ground, not poached. Not a comp thank goodness, left a track everywhere it was injected. Taste real good butt would have been a DQ, me thinks.
                  Mark
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
                    OK to clarify...Not considering a cure...Thinking if the osmosis thing that makes chicken juicier would also work for beef... Cant see why not...But using it as an injection would not be so good...Maybe...Doin a lot of mumbling in my head right now...
                    Ain't many comp cookers out there NOT injecting with the Fab B, Butcher's... etc. All phosphate "injections". I should send ya a sample of the inj I been screwing with. Go ahead and brine a hunk :{) Matter of fact...I might just do a properly brined chuckie with that brisky (injected) this weekend

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                      Ain't many comp cookers out there NOT injecting with the Fab B, Butcher's... etc. All phosphate "injections". I should send ya a sample of the inj I been screwing with. Go ahead and brine a hunk :{) Matter of fact...I might just do a properly brined chuckie with that brisky (injected) this weekend
                      I still got half of that injection you sent Rich...... Might try a bath in a brisky or chuck?

Craiger, better get back to canning salsa.....
                      sigpic

Comment

Ok. I see. This was all the info i had:
                        Pepperoni-Pernil-Spicy snack stix-Ryans crab cakes-Dip for smoked fish-Lox-Beer brittle-Pizza crust-Spinach and artichoke dip-Garlic link-Pizza Links-

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
                          If you cure beef with the correct spices it becomes "corned beef". If you smoke it with the correct spices, for the necessary time it becomes Pastrami.
                          exactly Mark... specifically the use of the word "CORRECT"... cause different seasonings in your brine / cure, can make it Roast beef or Montreal smoked for lunch meat, pastrami ETC....
                          here is the link to my Montreal smoked meat (beef) there is a link in the beginning of the post for the brining / curing process also
                          http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26747
                          www.facebook.com/butchcolquhoun _____________________________________________

sigpic

Comment

Heres sumthin:

Comment

Charc, I don't know where that page came from but I have some issues with it. The salt in a brine extracts the water from the "meat'. The brine in and of it self does not reduce harmful bacteria. You need cure for that! In reducing the water content of the "meat" the environment in the meat becomes less favorable to bacterial development, yes a safer product. But not a "cured" product. It needs to be heated to 165°(pork) or properly cured to be a usable product!
                              I was referring to post 12.
                              Mark
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X