No announcement yet.

Adjusting air flow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If the burner is a venturi, then there should be a plate just behind the burner opening where the gas line goes in and that plate should rotate back and forward away and toward the opening to let more air in or to close it. If it is burning yellow, look under the smoker for this valve to adjust it to increase air flow into the burner.

I don't understand how the burner can be burning yellow and still running hot. Is the smoker running hot with just the flame or is it getting that hot after the wood catches on fire?

The wood will burn instead of smoking if it is getting too much air and heat combined. Covering that box so little air can get in and using larger chunks of wood as well as moving it's position, as others have said should help.

Comment

I made a mistake. The flame is blue out of the burner and then turns orange with a yellow tip. The smoker is going back to the store tomorrow. I have to start all over again. What kind/brand of smoker requires the least amount of tinkering and has consistent results? Any of you have a Big Green Egg? Very expensive but I wonder how they work.

Comment

Most people wanted you to get an electric smoker. I think you should get one too.
        Big Green smokers are very versatile but you don't need to spend that kind of money if you want just want to do some simple smoking. I think the Brinkman that many people recommended will work just fine.

Comment

Brinkman electric? The inexpensive one? I can't remember what was said. I guess I will have to re-read all my posts.

Comment

Originally posted by bugster2 View Post
            I made a mistake. The flame is blue out of the burner and then turns orange with a yellow tip. The smoker is going back to the store tomorrow. I have to start all over again. What kind/brand of smoker requires the least amount of tinkering and has consistent results?
            Sorry to hear that, bugs. I think you would have been fine with that one if it had been working correctly. Hitting 260° on low definitely sounds like something was out of whack.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Dave
            CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
            UDS 1.0
            Afterburner
            Weber Performer
            Blue Thermapen
            Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
            Thermoworks Chef Alarm
            Auber Smoker Controller
            Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
            -
            "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Originally posted by JustSmoke2 View Post
              Theres a mod people with gas burners use. They install a needle valve in the propane line. By setting you smoker on low and turning down your needle valve you can restrict the flow gas. If you ever seen a turkey deep fryer thats kinda of the needle valve you may want. I am sure someone will be able to elaborate on it better for you then I can.
              Is there someone who can tell me what/where I can get a needle valve? Does someone make a regulator that you can fine tune the gas flow with?

Comment

We swapped the Kenmore for a Brinkman vertical gas smoker and started to season it. The manual says to heat it on low for 45 minutes. Their low is 125 degrees. Well we put it on low and the lowest it would get is 260. Of course there was no meat so maybe it will drop. So what you get and what the book says you get are two different things. Looked at 8 Brinkman electric smokers and couldn't buy one cause they were packed so poorly that all of the water pans had major dents and paint loss. So what I would like is info on reducing the flame. Like a needle valve or an adjustable regulator. Or something I haven't thought of.

Comment

Well heres a thought way out side the box. Is your smoker setting directly out in front of the sun with no shade? Its was a few years back I think someone had this problem on long smokes because of the rise and fall of the sun. He moved his smoker to where it would be in the shade and help to maintain his temps. Are you using a water pan also? If not try it and see if that might help bring you temps down. As for a needle valve you should be able to go to any hardware store and get one to splice into you line. Also check to see what P.S.I. your regulator is and maybe look for one that is smaller.
                  If You Can Not Stand Behind Our Troops,
                  Please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them

Comment

Originally posted by bugster2 View Post
                    We swapped the Kenmore for a Brinkman vertical gas smoker and started to season it. The manual says to heat it on low for 45 minutes. Their low is 125 degrees. Well we put it on low and the lowest it would get is 260. Of course there was no meat so maybe it will drop. So what you get and what the book says you get are two different things. Looked at 8 Brinkman electric smokers and couldn't buy one cause they were packed so poorly that all of the water pans had major dents and paint loss. So what I would like is info on reducing the flame. Like a needle valve or an adjustable regulator. Or something I haven't thought of.

If you are wanting to reduce the flame more you will need to do the Needle Valve Mod. These valves work good... If you cant find one in your area.. you can get one from here...http://www.bayouclassicdepot.com/nv1...urner_part.htm
                    Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Yup! That's what we are going to do, get the needle valve. My DH ordered one from a different place that he gets his car parts from. It is a little bit more high tech than the one from bayou. Special seals or something. I really appreciate those photos that were provided. He mentioned the needle valve a week ago so those pictures just confirmed what he was thinking. I will provide pictures when it is up and running. I really like the new Brinkman set-up over the Kenmore. It has 2 doors and all of the shelves are adjustable. It also has a huge chip pan which the Kenmore did not. Too bad the electric units were packed by an idiot. I was looking forward to giving one a try and ultimately returning it because with my luck it would have been junk. With the new unit I have been able to get the thin blue smoke (I think) because the chip pan is adjustable. With the needle valve I will have to move the wood back to its original position to get the wood to smolder because of the reduced flame. Can't wait to get cooking! Been checking out those fatties and chubbies or was it chatties. I need to try one. It had me drooling.

Comment

Glad you're not giving up. I looked at the Brinkmann you're talking about. Thought that was nice with the two doors. Hopefully this needle valve will get you going. I've got my fingers crossed for ya.
                        S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
                        CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
                        New Braunfels Bandera
                        UniFlame Gas Grill
                        Lil Chief

Comment

Glad to hear you're making progress. Sounds like you're on the right track. Good luck with the needle valve mod and keep us posted.

You'll be cooking up some mouth-watering stuff in no time.

Dave
                          CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                          UDS 1.0
                          Afterburner
                          Weber Performer
                          Blue Thermapen
                          Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                          Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                          Auber Smoker Controller
                          Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                          -
                          "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Working...
                          X