Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calibrating a measuring cup

I know that sounds stupid buttt.
    So I'm taking this course from Harvard and MIT on the science of food and cooking. Our first week lab was to 1, calibrate my oven, 2, calibrate a measuring cup. I know.
    The oven was fascinating. I thought the oven stayed at a fairly stable temp while baking, it cycled over 30°F twice in a ten minute period.
    But I didn't expect the measuring cup. One cup of water at sea level should weigh 237g. So I first try one of those plastic ones that fit inside each other, weighed 247g. That can't be right, so I tried another plastic one 228g. Huh?
    So then I tried and Anchor Glass cup and it was dead on 237g.
    I then had to do the same thing with GP flour, same results. I am now two sets of measuring cups lighter.
    Who knew?
    Yes I have weights to calibrate my scale.
    Mark
    sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
    Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

i used to work on ovens in the navy and i new about calibrating the temperature and the span or amount of cycle. It is also important to check the level occasionally on your stove and oven.

never thought about a measuring cup i guess in my little world i thought they was all one and the same
    Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Ok, I get the oven.. oven's are notorious for inaccuracy... but a measuring cup! Wow who would've thunk it! Learn something new every day....
      Smokem if you got em

Yoder YS640
      Weber EP-310 Gasser Grill
      A-Maz-N-Pellet-Smoker (AMZNPS)
      A-Maz-N-Tube-Smoker (AMZNTS)
      Frogmats
      Maverick ET 732
      Super Fast Purple Thermopen

Deano

"May the thin blue smoke be with you"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by crusty ol salt View Post
        i used to work on ovens in the navy and i new about calibrating the temperature and the span or amount of cycle. It is also important to check the level occasionally on your stove and oven.

never thought about a measuring cup i guess in my little world i thought they was all one and the same
        Me too!
        Mark
        sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?

Comment

So....

did i have to throw away all me measurin' spoons too....

argh, me pirate world is collapsing tonight
          Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

i knew about the ovens, but the measuring cups/spoons are very interesting - in fact, i think that it is cause to change a few opinions, or at the very least make a few adjustments! on one hand, even an inaccurate cup/spoon can be consistent - but on the other hand, if it's wrong, what's the point of having it?
            Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
            Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

Comment

good info here! thanks..ovens okay..measuring cups..who knew....I blame the Chinese who probably made the cups...
              Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
              Yoder YS640
              Weber Genesis
              Weber 18.5" Kettle
              Weber Performer
              Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by crusty ol salt View Post
                So....

did i have to throw away all me measurin' spoons too....

argh, me pirate world is collapsing tonight
                No padre, most of the time it doesn't make that much difference. Sometimes in baking and other "advanced" endeavors it does. The lesson, is to use weight not volume to measure if possible. It's much more accurate and that was to point they (school) were trying to make.
                Mark
                sigpic

Comment

Akin to that fabled 1 tablespoon of cure, no?
                  In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                  Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                  Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                    Akin to that fabled 1 tablespoon of cure, no?
                    One teaspoon of cure......not going there. Buttt very kin!

A=(E*D)/B
                    In PPM.
                    Mark
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
                      I know that sounds stupid buttt.

But I didn't expect the measuring cup. One cup of water at sea level should weigh 237g. So I first try one of those plastic ones that fit inside each other, weighed 247g. That can't be right, so I tried another plastic one 228g. Huh?
                      So then I tried and Anchor Glass cup and it was dead on 237g.

Hmmm---Well I know when I played Football, my cup held a lot more than 237 grams!!!

Just Sayin'

Bear
                      Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                      Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Yep, Rich I was just thinkin'...well this plays right into the cure discussion doesn't it?

The oven was fascinating. I thought the oven stayed at a fairly stable temp while baking, it cycled over 30°F twice in a ten minute period.
                        That is actually part of the design and is know as hysteresis. Oven elements (if electric) only have two states, on and off. The temperature is maintained by allowing the temperature to go slightly higher than target before turning it off, and slightly below target before turning it back on. If this weren't done, the thing would be constantly turning on and off at a high rate of speed. In my simple mind, you would need to monitor temps for several hours and calculate a mean for oven calibration to have any significance.

Gas ovens largely operate the same way, but there is some variability in the output.
                        A few of my favorite things:
                        Good Whiskey
                        Good Food
                        Bad Girls
                        sigpic

NRA Endowment Member
                        Certified Glock Armorer

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcarver View Post
                          Hmmm---Well I know when I played Football, my cup held a lot more than 237 grams!!!

Just Sayin'

Bear
                          Ah Bear how do you know how many grams your........no. don't wanna know!

Originally posted by Snarlingiron View Post
                          Yep, Rich I was just thinkin'...well this plays right into the cure discussion doesn't it?

That is actually part of the design and is know as hysteresis. Oven elements (if electric) only have two states, on and off. The temperature is maintained by allowing the temperature to go slightly higher than target before turning it off, and slightly below target before turning it back on. If this weren't done, the thing would be constantly turning on and off at a high rate of speed. In my simple mind, you would need to monitor temps for several hours and calculate a mean for oven calibration to have any significance.
                          I did for four different temp settings - 370°=365°setting on my oven, consistently 5° between 300 to 400°F.
                          Last edited by Mark R; 11-12-2013, 05:45 PM.
                          Mark
                          sigpic

Comment

My tablespoon holds a pound of rub... is that too much?
                            Smokem if you got em

Yoder YS640
                            Weber EP-310 Gasser Grill
                            A-Maz-N-Pellet-Smoker (AMZNPS)
                            A-Maz-N-Tube-Smoker (AMZNTS)
                            Frogmats
                            Maverick ET 732
                            Super Fast Purple Thermopen

Deano

"May the thin blue smoke be with you"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dsgarner06 View Post
                              My tablespoon holds a pound of rub... is that too much?
                              Depends on what you're rubbing with your tablespoon.
                              Mark
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X