Calibrating a measuring cup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dsgarner06 View Post
    My tablespoon holds a pound of rub... is that too much?
    That's gonna make for some HOT Whangs!
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
      That's gonna make for some HOT Whangs!
      Rich, hush - think of the sales.........
      Mark
      sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
      Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
        Rich, hush - think of the sales.........
        oops. Crap. I really suck at this, don't I?
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

oops. Crap. I really suck at this, don't I?

Smokem if you got em

Yoder YS640
          Weber EP-310 Gasser Grill
          A-Maz-N-Pellet-Smoker (AMZNPS)
          A-Maz-N-Tube-Smoker (AMZNTS)
          Frogmats
          Maverick ET 732
          Super Fast Purple Thermopen

Deano

"May the thin blue smoke be with you"

sigpic

Comment

Using weight vs volume - there's an app for that. I use convert-me.com to convert ingredients to weight. Plus it's 10x faster than using measuring cups and spoons.

And that's without even saying something like use a "heaping teaspoon." How accurate is that!?!?!
            ~ May your glass be ever full. May the roof over your head be always strong. And may you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you're dead. ~ Dwain

Comment

Originally posted by Bama BBQ View Post
              Using weight vs volume - there's an app for that. I use convert-me.com to convert ingredients to weight. Plus it's 10x faster than using measuring cups and spoons.

And that's without even saying something like use a "heaping teaspoon." How accurate is that!?!?!
              That is a cool app! Butt in the South a "heaping teaspoon." is a precise measurement, butter be!
              Mark
              sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?

Comment

I saw a demo on chef steps that had several people measure a cup of flour. Every one of them weighed differently. The accuracy was +/- 10%.

But when they used a scale to weigh a specific portion of flour, accuracy was +/- 1%.

And people wonder why a recipe fails -- there's inaccuracy built-in to the way we measure.
                ~ May your glass be ever full. May the roof over your head be always strong. And may you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you're dead. ~ Dwain

Comment

And people wonder why a recipe fails -- there's inaccuracy built-in to the way we measure.
                  I don't wonder. But then again I ain't "people" ;{)

Comment

That's a keeper!
                    I guess I'm not either, silly me I convert everything to grams.
                    Mark
                    sigpic

Comment

Try this also with your oven, or smoker:

Get a few cups and fill them with cooking oil. Place the cups in various places in your oven, top rack, middle rack, bottom rack, center, front, back, etc.

Set your oven temperature and in 30 minutes use your probe thermometer to measure each cup.

You will be surprised.

dcarch

Comment

Hunkies are People Too.

Bear
                        Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                        Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

And the best cooks I know do not use measuring cups and spoons. Go figger...

I use measuring devices to try and nail down some of my moms old recipes, but i go to her house and she is dumping ingredients in straight from the container and never fails. hers is always better...
                          Charbroil SFB
                          GOSM
                          MES
                          Dutch Ovens and other CI
                          Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
                          Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

I saw a demo on chef steps that had several people measure a cup of flour. Every one of them weighed differently. The accuracy was +/- 10%.

But when they used a scale to weigh a specific portion of flour, accuracy was +/- 1%.

That was another part of the lab, repeatability. I didn't want to bore you with the details.
                            I should say the weighing has it place, and places it isn't practical. Like a commercial restaurant, sometime you don't have time to find the measuring cup much less have a scale for EVERYONE to work with.
                            But I have time and I try to be as precise as I can.
                            Mark
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by erain View Post

I use measuring devices to try and nail down some of my moms old recipes, but i go to her house and she is dumping ingredients in straight from the container and never fails. hers is always better...
                              I agree! And I'm starting to do the same as my Mom. I suppose if my job depended on it, I would want to be exact but for just me and family I just eyeball it.
                              Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
                              Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
                              1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
                              Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
                              Weber Smokey Joe
                              Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
                              Pink Thermapen
                              Purple Thermapen

Comment

Originally posted by erain View Post

Yup, some stuff just works better that way. Depends on the kinda cookin your doin. As I said before, most of the time it's just not that critical. But with some things it is.
                                Mark
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X