What is better?:horizontal or Vertical smokers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is better?:horizontal or Vertical smokers

what is a better smoker? using sticks (wood chunks)
    seems smoke and heat coming from the bottom up and over meats ect. would be the best, providing that the heat and smoke maintain the same from top to bottom. but most seem to use the horizontals. don't know. any thoughts?
    sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
    nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

well from my limited experience: 1 now dead vertical and one horizontal offset.
    I'd have to go for a decent vertical.
    Just more efficient space wise. And best still would be a vertical with a sfb - like kelly's stained.

a small vertical will easily fit 4 shelves in for a pretty fair selection whereas to get the same amount of food in a horizontal it needs to be much larger and take up way more room.

My outlaw's an awesome grill but just a fair smoker.
    I'm now looking at a metal filing cabinet type smoker.

But yeah vert over horizontal for me :-)
    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
    Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

have built bout 8 vertical and have 1 horiz. so now ya know what i think
      Terry here
      Still have Christene

Comment

I like to drink vertical, sell the program, then get horizontal! ;)

Comment

Alway's been vertical. Done em all....gas, elec, charcoal. Got this SnP for free. Doin what mod's I want....pic's later. Man...what a tough decision. What is cool, is you learn from who own's/operate's that kinda gig. May just go with what get's the job done. Still gonna do a UDS Bubba!..
          Sunset Eagle Aviation
          https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Originally posted by supervman View Post
            I like to drink vertical, sell the program, then get horizontal! ;)
            You old enuff.....old music.....horizontal bop! urock.gif
            Sunset Eagle Aviation
            https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

We all have our favorites. Whats best? Depends on you. Some people can adjust verts better tan horizontals and vice-versa. Get one of each and work with them. Thats the best advice I can give.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Slanted88 View Post
                You old enuff.....old music.....horizontal bop! [ATTACH]1099[/ATTACH]
                Oh yeah, I'm old enough.
                I remember the Beatles first gig on Ed Sullivan. Michael Jackson doin ABC.
                Sonny and Cher. Lots of hippie music.

My favorite, of course, is New Wave from the early 80's.
                Nothin like a chick in a white mini skirt with different colored polka dots which are also different sized dots.

Comment

Another good thread gone astray...
                  Craig
                  sigpic

Comment

My sig pretty much sums it up. I haven't had any experience with a horizontal. Doesn't mean I wouldn't use one if I got the chance. Never even knew about some of them until I joined the forums. Always associated smoking with a vertical. It's what I grew up with.

Not a lot of folks big on smoking up here unless it's fish. Not until recently anyway. Never had big BBQs or funraiser chili cookoffs. It was Booya. Throw everything in but the kitchen sink and call it good.
                    S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
                    CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
                    New Braunfels Bandera
                    UniFlame Gas Grill
                    Lil Chief

Comment

they both have advantages & disadvantages.

horizontal- larger cooking area w/ distinct heat zones the way i have mine set up(375fb-250mid-200far end),but use a lot more fuel.

the vertical- even grate temps top & bottom & a lot less fuel but that water pan better not go dry or poof-greasefire.plus less room on the porch or in the trailer.

these are low end $ cookers but when ya get into langs,reverse flows, backwoods verticals,stumps,etc. ya can get all kinds of opinions & options.

personally, i'm waiting on my backwoods party or competitor w/ auto water & guru.then i can get that thing they call sleep while cooking overnight.
                      brink vertical charcoal(the carp)
                      18" old smokey charcoal grill/smoker
                      cast iron Hibachi
                      22" Kettle w/ "Smoke-EZ" styled riser extension
                      & rotisserator
                      12x7 wells cargo vending trailer(mods in progress)
                      stuffer,slicer & more carp than i can fit in it...
                      Marshall amps & various awesome guitars,drums,P.A.,etc.recording studio.....

Blues-N-Cues Concessions & Catering
                      http://blues-n-cuesbbq.com/
                      my music recordings-
                      http://www.reverbnation.com/rlcltd

Comment

I don't think there is a right answer. I have a custom built hog cooker that is reverse flow and two virticals (drum and 22.5 WSM). If I cook just for home use I use the drum or WSM. If I have to cook more I will use the hog cooker. I did twelve beer can chickens on Sunday for church on Sunday afternoon (I'll get pics later) and used the hog cooker. Turned out great! they would also have done well on the drum or WSM but of course I didn't use more fuel on the hog cooker. It just depends. My .02 worth.
                        www.nopigleftbehind.com
                        -----------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by davidmcg View Post
                          We all have our favorites. Whats best? Depends on you.
                          What he said.

Originally posted by blues_n_cues View Post
                          they both have advantages & disadvantages.

horizontal- larger cooking area w/ distinct heat zones the way i have mine set up(375fb-250mid-200far end),but use a lot more fuel.

the vertical- even grate temps top & bottom & a lot less fuel but that water pan better not go dry or poof-greasefire.plus less room on the porch or in the trailer.
                          Nicely summed up.

Originally posted by blues_n_cues View Post
                          personally, i'm waiting on my backwoods party or competitor w/ auto water & guru.then i can get that thing they call sleep while cooking overnight.
                          Or build a drum -- no water pan to worry about. I get lots of sleep when the drum is cooking at night.

Dave
                          CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                          UDS 1.0
                          Afterburner
                          Weber Performer
                          Blue Thermapen
                          Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                          Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                          Auber Smoker Controller
                          Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                          -
                          "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

thanks for all the replys.

I was thinking of a larger smoker. an off set that the heat and smoke came out to a vertical cooking / smoking chamber. I have looked at a couple and read about them from the makers and folks that put their cudo's up on the web site. Of course no one has said they are not any good.
                            But most times pictures do not do justice to the smoker or for the person interested.

I would like one that held as much meat as a lang 60. But I will not be doing whole hogs as I have other methods for doing large animals. But I would imagine that in a vertical. one could remove racks and hang, lets say a 100lb pig from his feet and smoke it. wrapped in mesh tight so the meat would stay on the animal.
                            I will be traveling many miles on I-10 soon. and have noticed in the past along the way several areas that have big and small smokers, yards full. and they all look very differnt from what I have seen on SM that some of you all use.

I plan on stopping at these smoker maker places and becoming educated with what they make and sell. and will be close to Ga. where the langs are made.
                            and plan on stopping in to check out the langs.
                            I want to make a decision on one.

thank you for your input. I know time is valuable.

Bill
                            sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
                            nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

if yer heading I-10 east from texas check out backwoods smokers. i believe they're in baton rouge. check out their used forum or a local dealer close to you.
                              http://www.backwoods-smoker.com/
                              brink vertical charcoal(the carp)
                              18" old smokey charcoal grill/smoker
                              cast iron Hibachi
                              22" Kettle w/ "Smoke-EZ" styled riser extension
                              & rotisserator
                              12x7 wells cargo vending trailer(mods in progress)
                              stuffer,slicer & more carp than i can fit in it...
                              Marshall amps & various awesome guitars,drums,P.A.,etc.recording studio.....

Blues-N-Cues Concessions & Catering
                              http://blues-n-cuesbbq.com/
                              my music recordings-
                              http://www.reverbnation.com/rlcltd

Comment

Working...
                              X