• Time
  • Show
Clear All

brined an smoked...
    MMMMMMmmmmmm...
    ~All that is gold does not glitter ~ Not all those that wander are lost~
    ~20" Yoder "Swiss Army Knife" Stick Burner~

Comment

Fry em up. The are delicious and not overly fishy tasting at all. We used to have one helluva smelt run here in Mn up in Duluth. The Lester river would literally be overflowing with em in 70's and early 80's, but them days are sadly no more. Be lucky to catch a 5 gallon bucket of em in 2 days. They are actually considered an invasive species and over the years, the trout/salmon population has been eating good, thus driving the numbers down. Used to be one helluva a party up there at nights netting them

I know they can be smoked as well and have heard they are quite tasty that way too, but have never done it myself or had em smoked.
      https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

Pick up a couple boxes of Don's Chuckwagon onion ring mix. Use one for a dredge, and one to make beer batter. Batter and deepfry whole. The bones break down from the heat, and won't be an issue. Bonus, you can make some awesome O-rings and beer battered veggies while you are at it
        Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

Jeanie,
          I used to go Ice Fishing with my Dad, when I was a kid, and we caught Smelts one after another at Fairview Lake, in Pike County, PA. I don't know about smoking, but they are Awesome fried. Some people eat the whole fish, head, guts & all, but we cut the heads off, gutted them, and fried them like that, with the bones, like Sardines.

Note: We didn't have a smoker 50 years ago, but since they are very bony, and when you fry them you can eat the bones, I would think it wouldn't be a good thing to smoke them, unless you end up frying them hard enough so you can eat the bones.

Bear
          Last edited by Bearcarver; 07-13-2014, 04:54 PM.
          Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
          Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

put them in the trash...lol.. I am NOT a fan.. wife loves them... me I pass.. I think they have an acquired taste...wife got them Christmas eve for the 7 fish dinner....hope you enjoy!!
            Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
            Yoder YS640
            Weber Genesis
            Weber 18.5" Kettle
            Weber Performer
            Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for all of the help and ideas!!
              I fried some up last night.
              first.... dredged in seasoned flour, egg washed, panko then fried
              second batch... just seasoned flour and fried
              third batch....dipped in lemon juice, seasoned flour, panko and fried
              fourth batch... dredged in seasoned flour and fried in bacon drippings

I like the addition of a lemon juice dip. Also the bacon dripping batch was pretty good. I went too heavy on the panko, should have used a lighter bread crumb.
              Overall I liked the little buggers!!

Wish I would have seen some of your ideas before I cooked them. I do have more in the freezer so will make more in the future.

Thanks again for the input everyone!!
              jeanie

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/

Comment

Yum... been a few years since I had them. The old man used to go dipping and bring home a garbage bag of them. Hours with a pair of scissors.... snip, clip... slide thumb thru the inside... toss in the colander
                In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I actually tried to make a mock sardine with them once. Smoked and packed in oil. Didn't turn out like I hoped. But yeah, fried....

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                    Yum... been a few years since I had them. The old man used to go dipping and bring home a garbage bag of them. Hours with a pair of scissors.... snip, clip... slide thumb thru the inside... toss in the colander
                    I think I'd like the dipping part. The snipping and clipping sounds like a lot of work.

Originally posted by SmokinLee View Post
                    I actually tried to make a mock sardine with them once. Smoked and packed in oil. Didn't turn out like I hoped. But yeah, fried....
                    Lee those sound interesting. If they didn't turn out for you, I know I better not try. lol Thanks!
                    jeanie

Comment

Yours looks really good Jeanie!
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by cowgirl View Post
                        Thanks for all of the help and ideas!!
                        I fried some up last night.
                        first.... dredged in seasoned flour, egg washed, panko then fried
                        second batch... just seasoned flour and fried
                        third batch....dipped in lemon juice, seasoned flour, panko and fried
                        fourth batch... dredged in seasoned flour and fried in bacon drippings

I like the addition of a lemon juice dip. Also the bacon dripping batch was pretty good. I went too heavy on the panko, should have used a lighter bread crumb.
                        Overall I liked the little buggers!!

Wish I would have seen some of your ideas before I cooked them. I do have more in the freezer so will make more in the future.

Thanks again for the input everyone!!
                        Jeanie, I like your version, butt I'm gonna have to sample them in person... They look like I'd be hitting them hard!!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Thanks Fishawn! They came out pretty tasty. I didn't know what to expect.

Thanks Phil, I'll make some for ya when the adoption papers come through.
                          jeanie

Comment

Sorry I can't help, but they aren't native to my area. I have however, eaten Chain Pickeral, which are cousins of the Pike. They are delicious if you can get the Y bones removed.

Comment

Originally posted by feeshrman View Post
                              Sorry I can't help, but they aren't native to my area. I have however, eaten Chain Pickeral, which are cousins of the Pike. They are delicious if you can get the Y bones removed.
                              Thank you feeshrman! I've not heard of Chain Pickeral, thanks for the info!
                              jeanie

Comment

I had little fried fish in the Philippines when I was young. Kinda like that they was good.

We got a Philippine fish store nearby, I need to do that, you amaze me with your food, I gotta try them.

Comment

Working...
                                X