Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foodsaver for curing?

Aloha,

I recently purchased a vacuum sealer that was manufactured by Tilia. I owe a big thank you (Mahalo) to Rowdy Ray who cleared up a few questons/concerns I had. The unit is working great!!!

I was planning to use the vacuum sealer to cure my bacon and pastrami prior to the Smoke. Would the flavors be more intensified by placing the meat in the vacuum sealed bags? Would that affect the cure time on the meats?

Mahalo to All

I had done a pretty unscientific trial a while back. Seems my conclusion was you can expect around a 20% or so faster cure time. That was on some bacon as I recall. But that's not much. I hear with agitation in vac drums (A common curing method for commercial production) times can be cut like in half.
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I'd say Rich is correct. Injecting would not be as efficient as vacuum and injecting cuts about the same time.
      That said, I think a liquid brine and a vacuum container would be a better option than a bag.

Tom

Comment

I use my vac sealer and not for speeding up just because I dont want any outside influences on the bacon - I dont complete the vac before the seal. I like the fact that a little air in the bag allows me to massage the cure when it liquifys - when I have done a complete vac the liquification never happens

Just my observation after 5 trys at bacon
        Scarbelly

Comment

Not really sure if it speeds it up, I do it more for convenience. I don't have a big enough fridge to do a liquid brine. Especially when doing 3 or 4 large loins for a batch canadian bacon. Can even fit them in a crisper if need be. Massage and flip them over each day. Smoke 6 or 7 days later. No mess. No spilling. Works for me.

Glad to hear the sealer is working.
          S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
          CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
          New Braunfels Bandera
          UniFlame Gas Grill
          Lil Chief

Comment

Aloha All
            Thanks for the tips. I think I will use the vac sealer and leave some air in there to allow some room to massage the product/juices.

Comment

On purely technical terms - yes it should speed up the curing process.

Experiments show that meat marinaded under vacumn absorbs 20% more liquid than meat marinaded under normal atmospheric pressure.

The meat when cooked still loses the same amount of moisture - but because it contained more to start with is moister than non-vacumn marinaded meat.

Applied to curing, the meat should take up the cure quicker.
              20% would seem about right.

I just use ziplock bags, squeeze most of the air out and turn every day in the fridge.
              Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
              Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Working...
              X