No announcement yet.

Weber starter cubes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone ever use fatwood to start things up? My brother gave me some & I find it works pretty well to start up the briquettes with no discernible bad taste.

Not to mention the occasional campfire

My --->
    Paul

Comment

Another source of this stuff (It's known as hexamine) is military surplus stores (It's used to heat those delicious MRE's) and camping stores.

The military stuff seems to be a little better bound together and about twice the amount of the Weber cubes.

Hmm apprently it's not EXACTLY the same..slighlty different chemical makeup..

"The US military uses trioxane fuel bars which are cheap (you can buy cases of 750 from many surplus dealers) and are said to have "an almost infinite shelf life." Because of this, they are great for survivalists who want to store large amounts of supplies that are easily procurable and economical (GI surplus is a also a plus with many of these folks). Trioxane has about half the potential heat value per ounce than hexamine but burns a light blue which is more tactically sound than the bright yellow of hexamine"
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Yup, just about anything you want to burn, light it from the bottom. Always works better.

Bear
        Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
        Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
          Another source of this stuff (It's known as hexamine) is military surplus stores (It's used to heat those delicious MRE's) and camping stores.

The military stuff seems to be a little better bound together and about twice the amount of the Weber cubes.

Hmm apprently it's not EXACTLY the same..slighlty different chemical makeup..

"The US military uses trioxane fuel bars which are cheap (you can buy cases of 750 from many surplus dealers) and are said to have "an almost infinite shelf life." Because of this, they are great for survivalists who want to store large amounts of supplies that are easily procurable and economical (GI surplus is a also a plus with many of these folks). Trioxane has about half the potential heat value per ounce than hexamine but burns a light blue which is more tactically sound than the bright yellow of hexamine"

C4 would work great too---Burns nice & blue!!----Gotta be careful though!!

Bear
          Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Comment

I've been using these cubes for a couple years now and always under the coals. I really like the ease of use and how fast they get the coals going. And if I'm heating up a Dutch oven or cast iron skillet, I can set it over the fire as soon as I light the cubes...no need to wait. But if I'm grilling or smoking I do make sure the cubes are completely burned before adding food to the grill. I do not smell them but the old man says they do give off an odor that he doesn't like. Also, make sure you keep them in their package until ready to use. I was going to give a few away one time to a friend and put about 3 in a Ziploc bag. Never gave them to my friend but a few weeks later I did try to use them and they would not light. It was like they had dried out and were more like Styrofoam.

We also use them to start our fires in the fire pit! Much safer than throwing gas on it. Not more fun but SAFER!
            Last edited by sweet_magnolia; 03-23-2015, 09:53 AM.
            Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
            Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
            1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
            Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
            Weber Smokey Joe
            Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
            Pink Thermapen
            Purple Thermapen

Comment

i love these lil' buggers.........anything to make life a little easier.

Originally posted by THE ICEMAN View Post
              Anyone ever use fatwood to start things up? My brother gave me some & I find it works pretty well to start up the briquettes with no discernible bad taste.
              ice, i've heard of it but have not used it before.....source?
              sigpic
              it's all good my friend..........

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcarver View Post
                C4 would work great too---Burns nice & blue!!----Gotta be careful though!!
                Another reason I am somewhat familiar with the stuff. It's the base of RDX :{)

Originally posted by sweet_magnolia View Post

We also use them to start our fires in the fire pit! Much safer than throwing gas on it. Not more fun but SAFER!
                I love you for soo many reasons

Yes..they are somewhat "volatile" wrap unused cubes in alum foil tight.
                Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Another reason I am somewhat familiar with the stuff. It's the base of RDX :{)

I figured they might be related in some way.

We used C4 all the time to heat C-Rations!!

Awesome Stuff!!

Bear

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                    Do you store your charcoal inside? I grilled some filets on a relatives Weber last summer. Took aboot 2x the amount of time to start in a chimney with newspaper. The briquettes were stored outside for aboot 3 months,under cover, unopened, and apparently absorbed some of the moisture. The family said WHERE'S THE BEEF?
                    Yes, kept in the house the whole time. It was a 20lb. twin pack from Sam's. I think it was just a bad batch.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Andy View Post
                      . I think it was just a bad batch.
                      I've yet to find a really good one

Comment

Im not positive but I think fatwood is strips of pine, rich in the resins and pitch that make pine burn so hot and fast...Sure its burned away and has no effect on the cook...I have thought of using it but...The cost plus the shipping...You know...
                        Craig
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
                          Im not positive but I think fatwood is strips of pine, rich in the resins and pitch that make pine burn so hot and fast.
                          I thought it was what Oprah and Rosie grow for their entertainment?

Comment

I thought it was what Oprah and Rosie grow for their entertainment?
                            Stick to your day job, Rich.

Not to mention the occasional campfire

My --->
                            Paul

Comment

Stick to your day job, Rich.
                              yer all in trouble. I don't really have one.

Comment

I've used the Weber cubes in the past but recently began using Tumbleweeds instead

I place one underneath my chimney or my Vortex and it take no time to have the coals ready

Comment

Working...
                                X