Cooking Different Types of Meats Vertically

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooking Different Types of Meats Vertically

I was at a birthday party last weekend and my BIL noticed that the cooks had chicken in a barrel cooker above the tri tip. He mentioned how he had heard that that was a bad idea. I told him from everything I have read and heard, he was correct -- it was a bad idea. He asked why and the only explanation I could give him was . . . salmonella?

So I was wondering if someone could explain the correct way to place different types of meat when cooking in a vertical chamber, the dangers involved in arranging them incorrectly, and how to answer the statement that "Well, they will all be cooked to above 140 so it won't matter.", which is I am sure what we would have heard if we had mentioned this to the cooks.

Thanks.

Dave
    Last edited by DDave; 03-20-2009, 08:02 AM.
    CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
    UDS 1.0
    Afterburner
    Weber Performer
    Blue Thermapen
    Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
    Thermoworks Chef Alarm
    Auber Smoker Controller
    Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
    -
    "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

:bump:
    UDS 1.0
    Afterburner
    Weber Performer
    Blue Thermapen
    Thermoworks Chef Alarm
    Auber Smoker Controller
    -

Comment

my understanding, based on the different 'baddies' found in our foods would be:

------------- beef

------------- pork

-------------- chicken

from top to bottom.
      with the assumption that (pending on room) try not to have them 'drip' on one another.

Comment

They should go as listed above. Beef top, Pork, then fowl or chicken.

However in Bar B Q it is ok to stack in any order due to the high temperatures all the meat is taken to and held at for so long. But since prime rib is many times pulled a much lower temperature it is never advisable to get out of the correct stack method habit.
        Tour the New Rig Here!

Sgt. USMC '79-'85

S-M inmate number 12

RIP ronP

Comment

Where is this stack method mentioned in any food safety manual? I would love to read up on it more.
          "I'm the 82nd Airborne, and this is as far as the bastards are going."
          PFC Martin, 325th Glider Infantry Regiment, Battle of the Buldge

Comment

Originally posted by Vlap View Post
            Where is this stack method mentioned in any food safety manual? I would love to read up on it more.
            Hmm it might not be, as it mainly pertains to vertical smokers. But inferences can be drawn from food storage techniques... raw poultry on the bottom.

Besides, as mentioned, a hunk of rare beef with 140° chicken juice all over it IS a problem, agreed?
            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

There is a world of difference between cooking and storage. This is correct for storage. I have just never seen nor heard anything about stacking while cooking.

Obviously you do not want to put a raw chicken over some meat you are about to pull out. That would be common sense. So yes agreed. If they go in at the same time and the chicken cooks fully and the meat below cooks to temp I see no problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlap View Post
                Obviously you do not want to put a raw chicken over some meat you are about to pull out. That would be common sense. So yes agreed. If they go in at the same time and the chicken cooks fully and the meat below cooks to temp I see no problem.
                If they go in at the same time and you pull that beef at 135°, that's where the chicken above will be, roughly...
                In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Check the surface temp of the meat. Bacteria does not burrow. It will rest on the top.

Ever wonder why a rare steak is fine and a rare hamburger is not?

That is a good point though. You do have to consider when things are being pulled. Like I said in my other thread I am not perfect nor am I an expert. I just never heard any mention of a true reference that says this is dangerous. I like resources. If asked for a resource on things I say I can provide. The book I posted in my other thread would be one very good resource to check.

Comment

Originally posted by bbally View Post
                    However in Bar B Q it is ok to stack in any order due to the high temperatures all the meat is taken to and held at for so long. But since prime rib is many times pulled a much lower temperature it is never advisable to get out of the correct stack method habit.
                    Thanks, guys. I guess we didn't have anything to worry about at that particular party. The tri tip looked fully cooked -- at least it looked that way when they pulled it off and immediately cut into the middle of it to check for doneness.

Dave
                    UDS 1.0
                    Afterburner
                    Weber Performer
                    Blue Thermapen
                    Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                    Auber Smoker Controller
                    -

Comment

Thanks Rich for a good conversation on this subject. Bottom line, I guess even if the stack method is not a real guidline, it is still being safe. Better to err on the side of caution.

I'd still like to see an official resource

Comment

Originally posted by DDave View Post
                        Thanks, guys. I guess we didn't have anything to worry about at that particular party. The tri tip looked fully cooked -- at least it looked that way when they pulled it off and immediately cut into the middle of it to check for doneness.

Dave

you mean they didn't let it rest at all?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jbchoice1 View Post
                          you mean they didn't let it rest at all?
                          Nope -- they wouldn't have taken time for that. Nor did they use a thermometer. Cutting into it was the method of choice for checking doneness. (Sigh)

Dave
                          Last edited by DDave; 06-30-2009, 10:28 PM.
                          UDS 1.0
                          Afterburner
                          Weber Performer
                          Blue Thermapen
                          Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                          Auber Smoker Controller
                          -

Comment

Ever wonder why a rare steak is fine and a rare hamburger is not?
                            Yes.

So what you're saying is that the surface of the meat is mixed in with the interior in a burger and obviously not in a solid chunk of meat.
                            You learn something new every day :-)
                            Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                            Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Working...
                            X