Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cast iron frying pan

Hi Folks,

Can someone please tell me how to season a cast iron frying pan.

Herb
    Chargriller Pro w. sfb
    Ducane 4100 propane grill
    Brinkman Electric

Member # 200

Hope this helps. I do mine on the grill.

http://www.lodgemfg.com/use-care-seasoned-cast-iron.asp
    S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
    CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
    New Braunfels Bandera
    UniFlame Gas Grill
    Lil Chief

Comment

DON'T USE SOAP!

I'll put some stuff up in a minute.

Also note - Lard (Crisco) will smoke like a banshi so do it outdoors if possible or on a VERY nice day with all the windows and some fans going.
      Last edited by supervman; 05-25-2009, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Yeah, I was going to put up the lodge link too.
        They have real quality stuff.
        If it's new it might be "pre seasoned" it still has some nasty waxy stuff on it.
        I scrub it real well in hot water with a CLEAN new stiff nylon brush I get at the hardware store (cheaper that way).
        DRY real good.
        Put into a hot grill and close lid for a couple hours then shut it off and let it cool naturally to "room temp".
        Then I wipe it off good and get out the crisco.
        I then give it a very good coating and heat it up back up to about 450-500 and cook it for 3 hours. Then let cool again as before.
        You DO NOT want to cool it down with cold water as the iron will crack and it's toasted.

I also put em upside down on the grill.
        They get a real nice coating over time.
        NEVER use soap.
        Just wipe em out or use a nylon cast iron scraper or a nylon brush (that's never been in contact with soap) and recoat with oil of choice or food grade mineral oil. A LIGHT coating before storing.

NEVER store wet. It will rust.

Here is an article I just saw.
        Seasoning Cast Iron
        Seasoned Cast Iron can be considered the "grandfather" to today's "non-stick" cookware.

Cast Iron Cookware must be seasoned properly and it will last a life-time. ( I still use my Grandmother's cast iron skillets on a regular basis and they must be at least 60-70+ years old.)

New Pans
        Heat the oven to 250o - 300o
        Coat the pan with lard or bacon grease. Don't use a liquid vegetable oil because it will leave a sticky surface and the pan will not be properly seasoned.
        Put the pan in the oven. In 15 minutes, remove the pan & pour out any excess grease. Place the pan back in the oven and bake for 2 hours.
        Repeating this process several times is recommended as it will help create a stronger "seasoning" bond.

Also, when you put the pan into service, it is recommended to use it initially for foods high in fat, such as bacon or foods cooked with fat, because the grease from these foods will help strengthen the seasoning.

Pans needing Re-Seasoning
        If the pan was not seasoned properly or a portion of the seasoning wore off and food sticks to the surface or there is rust, then it should be properly cleaned and re-seasoned.

Remove any food residue by cleaning the pan thoroughly with hot water and a scouring pad. I understand that heating the pan first to a temperature that is still safe to touch helps open the pores of the metal and makes it easier to clean.
        Dry the pan immediately with dish towel or paper towel.
        Season the pan as outlined above.
        Caring for Cast Iron Cookware
        Seasoning a cast iron pan is a natural way of creating non-stick cookware. And, like you cook and clean the modern non-stick cookware with special care to avoid scratching the surface, your cast iron cookware wants some special attention too.

Clean the cookware while it is still hot by rinsing with hot water and scraping when necessary. Do not use a scouring pad or soap (detergent) as they will break down the pan's seasoning.
        Never store food in the cast iron pan as the acid in the food will breakdown the seasoning and the food will take on a metallic flavor.
        Store your cast iron cookware with the lids off, especially in humid weather, because if covered, moisture can build up and cause rust. Should rust appear, the pan should be re-seasoned.
        When you purchase cast iron cookware, they are medium gray in color, but after usage, they start turning darker. (My pans are very black in color.) This is normal and should be expected.

Comment

Originally posted by supervman View Post
          DON'T USE SOAP!

I'll put some stuff up in a minute.
          Heh...never again...Ok may be rarely... should soap ever touch your iron. I did a little reseason on my 14" skillet today. A shot of canola plus the bacon grease left from a fry- and alot of heat...till I seen smoke. Left it to cool. wiped it out and put away. You should see an egg dance in that pan...
          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Thanks guys, it's an old pan that my sister gave me and I want to use it soon.

Herb
            Chargriller Pro w. sfb
            Ducane 4100 propane grill
            Brinkman Electric

Member # 200

Comment

Thanks Vman. Being at the Bro's house I didn't have the resources I do at my PC. I think you covered it very well.

I've got another dutch oven to do for a brother. Maybe I'll post some pics. I season mine on the grill because of the smoke factor. Crisco or bacon grease works great.

I think it was Lee who has the info on restoring cast iron.
              S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
              CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
              New Braunfels Bandera
              UniFlame Gas Grill
              Lil Chief

Comment

Here's another way ... works well for me.

http://www.griswoldandwagner.com/cgi...num=1223902841

Comment

Working...
                X