Bullheads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bullheads

Got 15 Bullheads to smoke on my BGE, looking for all ideas. Trust me these guys are good, but never tried it on the BGE--just asking for advice/Ideas. THX

Dry brine? Wet brine? ........ What kinda flavor you looking for in a brine?
    sigpic

Comment

Wet brine

Comment

Sorry, I got a wet brine, but never smoked em on the bge-looking for advice-temp etc?

Comment

I have never smoked a bullhead, but have done a lot of Salmon-Steelhead-Sturgeon-Halibut-Perch, etc.... Personally, I like to dry brine with food grade rock salt or Kosher salt. But have done wet brine also.... I start with a gallon of water & a Cup of Kosher or food grade rock salt.... From there, it really is a blank slate.... brown sugar, regular sugar, soy sauce, worstecheshire, Terriyaki marinade, honey, garlic, onion, red or white wine, etc.

How big are these guys?

Are you going to filet them out or do them whole? ..... Which would help determine how long you should brine them for.
          sigpic

Comment

my great uncle always dry brined...Kosher and spices. Kept 'em cold and drained for several days as I recall. 30+ years back tho.
            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Never smoked em. used to just fry them up whole in cracker crumbs and dowse them in hot sauce. most lakes around here don't have them anymore, they became an infestation problem at so many places.

Show us how you do!!

Dave

Comment

They are about 8" on average, brine 12 hrs, head and skin on and I think one of the best smoked up here. Great oily flav. fish for smokin,

Comment

Temp suggestions on everything I have seen & read range from about 140* to 225*..... I like to go about 170*..... Time is a big question mark, due to not knowing the size of them..... could be a couple hours to overnight, and depending on how you like them texture wise when finished..... I would suggest a lighter wood, such as Alder or Apple, but have used Hickory on Sockeye & I love that.... Keep us posted on what you come up with
                  sigpic

Comment

Yeah, lot guys fry em up, BUT, best smoked!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

We talkin catfish?
                      Mark
                      sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                      Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Yep-I use mostly apple, but I just picked up a bundle of plum wood??

Comment

Just a thought, when I used to do whole trout in the 10"-16" range, I would cut slits in the sides of the skin for the brine & smoke to penetrate a little better, every inch or so..... Looking forward to seeing your process
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by smoken cheesehead View Post
                            Yep-I use mostly apple, but I just picked up a bundle of plum wood??
                            Just got some Plum wood off me neighbors tree last week..... Still wet.... Grill-smoked some chicken with it.... I liked it
                            sigpic

Comment

Mark,I love catfish, but them Bullheads can't be beat smoked!

Comment

Working...
                              X