Anybody smoked Crappie ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody smoked Crappie ?

We caught our fair share of Crappie last night and are going again this weekend . My thought process is to try and smoke them but what about the process ... I'm thinking out loud to split them and smoke them skin down and apply light coating of rub on the white of the fish .... would you use lemon pepper and butter with a dash of smoked paprika ? Anybody got a clue ? Work in progress and I promise pictures ..

Not really enough fat I would think...they'll be dry...but maybe some butter and go at 'em hot and fast...

But..they are SOOO GOOD with a light beer batter and fried...
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I would agree with Rich on the fry route also. Are you wanting to hot smoke them for immediate consumption? Or looking for a room temp or cold snack (as in brined and smoked like salmon,etc)?
      sigpic

Comment

What they said^^^^^^^.
        Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
          Or looking for a room temp or cold snack (as in brined and smoked like salmon,etc)?
          I think this would be a mistake. Again, no fat/collegen content. Well... the "blind robin" thing might be an option?
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I don't think It'll work well. It's a real light textured fish, delicate. Maybe a quick trip across the grill with some EVOO and some relevant spices. It's not an oily enough fish fer smokin.
            Mark
            sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
            Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

K ... back to frying ... I know how good they are fried .. we caught 120 of em last night in a creek down the road from my country home. Yes we did limit out but counting my grandson we had five people fishing ... Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                Not really enough fat I would think...they'll be dry...but maybe some butter and go at 'em hot and fast...

But..they are SOOO GOOD with a light beer batter and fried...
                I'm with the Hunkster on this... done a lot of crappie in me day, and this is the best way of serving it up. Tender and moist done the fryway, smokin' it you gonna end up on the dryway... just sayin...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Originally posted by tripleBQ View Post
                  K ... back to frying ... I know how good they are fried .. we caught 120 of em last night in a creek down the road from my country home. Yes we did limit out but counting my grandson we had five people fishing ... Thanks
                  Crap...ie, that's a bunch of fish!! You might try a quick pass across the grill or campfire, quick - should be gooood!
                  Mark
                  sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?

Comment

Go catch more and invite us all for the fish fry.........Fry 'em.
                    Don..

2 of me best buds ever! R.I.P guys

Comment

I love smoked crappie But these guys are right in the fact that it is a light oil free fillet.But that is why I like it .I dont like the heavy oily fish.Heck I'll be shot for saying it but smoked crappy and walley ore the only good smoked fish
                      2-22.5'' weber
                      1-18'' weber
                      1 smokey joe
                      22.5'' wsm
                      24'' smoke vault
                      1-outhouse
                      Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
                      Smoked meathead #135

Comment

Originally posted by minnbill View Post
                        I love smoked crappie But these guys are right in the fact that it is a light oil free fillet.But that is why I like it .I dont like the heavy oily fish.Heck I'll be shot for saying it but smoked crappy and walley ore the only good smoked fish
                        Soooo hot and fast? Talk to us.

Comment

Originally posted by minnbill View Post
                          Ok you got the podium, how you do dat?
                          Mark
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tripleBQ View Post
                            We caught our fair share of Crappie last night and are going again this weekend . My thought process is to try and smoke them but what about the process ... I'm thinking out loud to split them and smoke them skin down and apply light coating of rub on the white of the fish .... would you use lemon pepper and butter with a dash of smoked paprika ? Anybody got a clue ? Work in progress and I promise pictures ..

I did it one time, and I didn't do it hot & fast enough---Got a little dry. (Still OK, but a little dry)

If you're gonna smoke them, do it like your plan (above), but do it pretty hot & fast.

However Crappie is one of my absolute favorite Pan-frying fish (filleted).

Bear
                            Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                            Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Me Pop in law smokes em all fresh & salt...He's got me Big Chief...Temp's & lil oil he says...I prefer salt water fish...Mullet...If Louies Dad smokes it..she can tear it up!
                              Sunset Eagle Aviation
                              https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Working...
                              X