No announcement yet.

Anybody smoked Crappie ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I throw some smoke to catfish from time to time, turns oot great.

Not to mention the occasional campfire

My --->
    Paul

Comment

I'll have to side with the fry brigade here as well. Down here in Looziana we call 'em "sacalait" (sock-uh-lay) - meaning sack of milk. Like HH, we've prepared crappie a ton of different ways...the only way, for us, is hot-n-fast. A quick, light egg wash....a light dredge in some seasoned cornmeal and into some deep oil.

Just my nickel's worth....
      Rudy

sigpic
      GOSM Big Block
      SnPP - Rehab'd after 16 years
      22.5" Weber Kettle
      Smokey Joe for the RV
      Assorted Digital Thermos
      and a ugly BROWN thermapen cuz it was on sale!

Comment

No not hot nfast just regular smoked fish. open faced skin on back 250 deg for a few hrs till flakey and dry.like I said I dont like the oil in most fish walley and crappie smoke just nice and dry.Turns out nice and flakey
        2-22.5'' weber
        1-18'' weber
        1 smokey joe
        22.5'' wsm
        24'' smoke vault
        1-outhouse
        Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
        Smoked meathead #135

Comment

Interesting! Nice catch BTW. I think the most crappie I have ever managed in one outing was less than 20. Did do some nights where we managed well over 50 striped bass a piece though. That was fun!!
          I rub it every chance I get!

QUOTE = Meat Hunter

Granted, all this is just in my head. Until I win the lotto, or my career as a stripper pays off, I'm forced to use the kitchen counter....

Comment

here is what the doctor ordered butter smoked walleye is what erain used crappie will be a good substitute

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/sho...ht=smoked+fish

lookin forward to seein what you gots

good luck
            Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Never tried crappie, but if I had a 120 I may try:

a little MH brine,
              a little garlic
              a little paprika,

a light smoke of apple wood
              2 bud lights...or more depending on the amount of smoke desired and temp of smoker.

And if it does not turn out you have enough to pan fry,,,,,

Comment

Have not smoked Crappie but we have caught allot of them out of Ohop Lake here in WA and cooked them with some butter, garlic & pepper over an Alder wood fire next to the lake with some Jack on the rocks! Fish should know about that lake. It's in his old stomping ground.
                Smoke it.. and they will come!

Rob
                Recipes & Smokes in HD Video
                SmokingPit.com

Yoder YS640
                Yoder Wichita
                Arizona BBQ Outfitters Scottsdale
                Camp Chef FTG600 Flat Top Griddle
                Blackstone 22" Flat Top Griddle

Comment

Originally posted by minnbill View Post
                  I love smoked crappie But these guys are right in the fact that it is a light oil free fillet.But that is why I like it .I dont like the heavy oily fish.Heck I'll be shot for saying it but smoked crappy and walley ore the only good smoked fish
                  I miss a good walley and crappie fry.
                  Andy
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Wingman View Post
                    Have not smoked Crappie but we have caught allot of them out of Ohop Lake here in WA and cooked them with some butter, garlic & pepper over an Alder wood fire next to the lake with some Jack on the rocks! Fish should know about that lake. It's in his old stomping ground.
                    You know it! ...... Some pretty nice trout in Ohop also.... Me best pal in Jr. High lived on it.... Spent many a summer day/night their
                    sigpic

Comment

well many moons ago we used to smoke crappies quite regular... but was not that well aquainted with the fishes yet. well cept for tullibees which were seasonal(simalar to whitefish but smaller) but we would run into some pretty nice bunches of crappies and we smoked a quite a few. i am in the camp of they need a lil more oil in them but heh, if Minn Bill says there good then heck you should try them too. (cant quite get that smoked walleye into play though)...

but seriously it been a long time and what i remember they were good, course set them side by side to lake trout or white fish and i think i know what the results would be. but heck, like the saying goes... smoke em if ya got em! just report back on results, right...
                      Charbroil SFB
                      GOSM
                      MES
                      Dutch Ovens and other CI
                      Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
                      Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

My Father in law used to smoke bullheads. Once cleaned, he would soak them in saltwater for an hour or so.(Brining) and smoke them.
                        Man were they good with a cold brew.
                        Steve

Comment

I thought some more about this and could have swore I would have posted one of my crappie or walley smokes .Ive done it afew times but this is the only one I found .was wallys up in canada .Kinda make shift but youll get the Idea.cause they were awsome.

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3821
                          2-22.5'' weber
                          1-18'' weber
                          1 smokey joe
                          22.5'' wsm
                          24'' smoke vault
                          1-outhouse
                          Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
                          Smoked meathead #135

Comment

Originally posted by erain View Post
                            well many moons ago we used to smoke crappies quite regular... but was not that well aquainted with the fishes yet. well cept for tullibees which were seasonal(simalar to whitefish but smaller) but we would run into some pretty nice bunches of crappies and we smoked a quite a few. i am in the camp of they need a lil more oil in them but heh, if Minn Bill says there good then heck you should try them too. (cant quite get that smoked walleye into play though)...

but seriously it been a long time and what i remember they were good, course set them side by side to lake trout or white fish and i think i know what the results would be. but heck, like the saying goes... smoke em if ya got em! just report back on results, right...
                            i am still thinking crappie using your smoked walleye thread from a while back. i did that using yellow perch, darn good eats
                            Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by crusty ol salt View Post
                              i am still thinking crappie using your smoked walleye thread from a while back. i did that using yellow perch, darn good eats
                              Charbroil SFB
                              GOSM
                              MES
                              Dutch Ovens and other CI
                              Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
                              Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by crusty ol salt View Post
                                Can't go wrong!
                                If someone asks about smoke-cooking fish---The first place I send them is to----->>>>> ERAIN !!!

Bear
                                Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                                Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Working...
                                X