american signal crayfish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• american signal crayfish

so these things have been infesting uk rivers for some years now.
    They've been here long enough to get right up to the middle of the country. If they're here then they're everywhere.
    The fisheries guys don't let you fish for them.
    Although i haven't checked for a while, might be able to do this legally - which for a johnson would be a novelty
    I remember going carp poaching in germany with my dad when i was about 8.
    Good times

But dave was walking his dog along the trent last week and one of the fishermen pulled one out the size of a small lobster !
    Must have been 8 inches long with claws like you wouldn't believe - have to get him to send me the pictures.

So now I'm thinking, well you can guess what I'm thinking.

So assuming I 'somehow' manage to acquire some of these beasties - what's the best way to cook them ?
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 09-19-2016, 04:43 PM.
    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
    Just call me 'One Grind'

Here you go.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/91lTFLTv0Vc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    A few of my favorite things:
    Good Whiskey
    Good Food
    Bad Girls
    sigpic

NRA Endowment Member
    Certified Glock Armorer

Comment

Boil and eat.
      Chop up and mix with cheese for a pepper stuffing.
      Sauté for a nice Asian flair.
      Slice and scampi

Or use for bait and bring in a nice fillet...
      sigpic

Some days I think Bravo Zulu, other days it's more like Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...

Comment

You can treat them like the crawfish we have here which is above

However, if they are that big, you can also treat them like a lobster. So, do one of two things but try and purge them in clean water for 24 hours before you cook them. Change the water at the 12 hour mark.

So,

1) Steam them in a double boiler, alive. Just like you would treat a regular lobster. Since yours have claws, more like a Maine lobster so there is some good claw meat if you're willing to work for it.

2) Just kill them and harvest the tail meat. You can use the other parts for a stock which I would suggest. Cut the tail down the middle underneath (use scissors or be careful with a knife) and split like opening a book with out breaking it in half. Drizzle with butter and grill them over wood/charcoal if possible.

Either way, they are like shrimp, it does not take long to cook them whatever way you decide.

You may have found an exceptional food source and nobody cares. I am jealous.

Good luck!

Here are two threads I did back when along these lines:

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11822

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12990
        Pete
        Large BGE
        Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Comment

you can get a basket dragger gig & pull/drag ditches where i'm at...nope ain't gonna happen...run off in ditches...(road stuff)...run off...
          Sunset Eagle Aviation
          https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

okay here's the bugger:

and with a scale to show the size:

As you can see compared to the tiny little things in a crayfish boil - this thing is a monster.
            And as far as I can tell not untypical for these things.
            They have no natural predators and huge amounts of available food.

So i'd be more inclined to treat it as a very large shrimp or small lobster.

I have read that they're not supppsed to taste that great and that's why the crawfish boils use so many seasonings and spices in the water.

Thoughts, why i try and work out a secluded stretch of the trent that nobody is likely to spot a pot in :-)

Given the size of those claws, I think a spike through the head as soon as would be my approach and then probably straight into the freezer either in bits of whole.

wiki says:
            Members of this species are typically 6–9 centimetres (2.4–3.5 in) long, although sizes up to 16–18 cm (6.3–7.1 in) are possible.
            They average the top end and bigger in the uk.

What i need is someone with some land the river runs through, have to ask around :-)

Also bear in mind I live as far from the sea as it's possible to get in the uk - so this kind of thing is the closest I'll probably ever get to fresh lobster lol
            We do get river mussels, but nobody in their right mind eats them.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by curious aardvark; 09-20-2016, 05:36 AM.
            Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Again... try the cleanse thing... 2 changes of clear cold fresh water to purge them of possible nasties
              In God I trust- All others pay cash...
              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Abelman View Post
                You can treat them like the crawfish we have here which is above

However, if they are that big, you can also treat them like a lobster. So, do one of two things but try and purge them in clean water for 24 hours before you cook them. Change the water at the 12 hour mark.

So,

1) Steam them in a double boiler, alive. Just like you would treat a regular lobster. Since yours have claws, more like a Maine lobster so there is some good claw meat if you're willing to work for it.

2) Just kill them and harvest the tail meat. You can use the other parts for a stock which I would suggest. Cut the tail down the middle underneath (use scissors or be careful with a knife) and split like opening a book with out breaking it in half. Drizzle with butter and grill them over wood/charcoal if possible.

Either way, they are like shrimp, it does not take long to cook them whatever way you decide.

You may have found an exceptional food source and nobody cares. I am jealous.

Good luck!

Here are two threads I did back when along these lines:

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11822

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12990

I'd have to go with what Pete Says on this one!!!

Bear

Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

I would never cook a crab or lobster alive.
                  It does not harm the taste to kill it quickly before cooking.
                  Over here they recommend freezing them alive. Again I don't see the necessity to do it while they are alive.

A lot of the chefs have some weird electrocution thing these days, me a reckon a spike or knife through the brain is the quickest and most humane way to do it.

Reading up on the regs, it looks like you only need permission if you're using pots.
                  To just sit on the riverbank with a crabline, looks like the only legislation for that is that you don't put them back in the water.
                  You wouldn't even need a rod licence, 'cause you wouldn't be using a fishing rod.

The trent is actually a pretty clean river these days, so shouldn't be an issue with eating them.
                  Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                    I would never cook a crab or lobster alive.
                    It does not harm the taste to kill it quickly before cooking.
                    Over here they recommend freezing them alive. Again I don't see the necessity to do it while they are alive.

A lot of the chefs have some weird electrocution thing these days, me a reckon a spike or knife through the brain is the quickest and most humane way to do it.

Reading up on the regs, it looks like you only need permission if you're using pots.
                    To just sit on the riverbank with a crabline, looks like the only legislation for that is that you don't put them back in the water.
                    You wouldn't even need a rod licence, 'cause you wouldn't be using a fishing rod.

The trent is actually a pretty clean river these days, so shouldn't be an issue with eating them.
                    well...never watch me or Louie clean blue crabs...sorry...snap the claws off...grab the back paddlers...rip the shell off...wash & go...Lobsters...hot steam...
                    Sunset Eagle Aviation
                    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Originally posted by Slanted88 View Post
                      well...never watch me or Louie clean blue crabs...sorry...snap the claws off...grab the back paddlers...rip the shell off...wash & go...Lobsters...hot steam...
                      no touchy feely crap here.........love it!
                      sigpic
                      it's all good my friend..........

Comment

lol - you can do what you like, my philosophy applies only to myself :-)

I see no reason to torture something just because I'm going to eat it, what you believe is your own thing.
                        Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Given the size of those claws, I think a spike through the head as soon as would be my approach and then probably straight into the freezer either in bits of whole.
                          Probably applies to crawdads as well...

Not to mention the occasional campfire

My --->
                          Paul

Comment

was always told that the freezer method was the best since the muscles never tense up....but i've always seen the knife to the head method used in the kitchen.
                            sigpic
                            it's all good my friend..........

Comment

lol - you can do what you like, my philosophy applies only to myself :-)

I see no reason to torture something just because I'm going to eat it, what you believe is your own thing.
                              so you do kill & have posted it...it's a crustacean...
                              Sunset Eagle Aviation

Comment

Working...
                              X