smoked me some suckers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• smoked me some suckers

The fish are running in the rivers again.youngest boy ,Joe brought me home a dozen suckers.Made up a brine .1 cup white&1 cup brown sugar &one cup sugar cure to 1 gallon water. Soaked fillets over night and then rinsed and soaked in fresh water for one hr.Set fillets out in the sun for about an hr.5

after a good pellical formed Into the vault they go.smoked at 250 with hickory and cherry wood for about 3.5 hrs.and they turned out awsome

thanks for looking
    2-22.5'' weber
    1-18'' weber
    1 smokey joe
    22.5'' wsm
    24'' smoke vault
    1-outhouse
    Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
    Smoked meathead #135

looks very good. nice and golden. I think I might be afraid to ask ....what the heck do they suck???
    sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
    nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

Im sorry Bill...round here when you say sucker, youre talkin about carp...Which i hear is a fine dish when fixed up right...

What kinda fish are you smokin?
      Craig
      sigpic

Comment

Thats why we skinney dip up noth here. I've had sucker smoked and then pickled. They are purty darned good. They are a bony fish and the pickling kinda dissolves the bones, or at least makes them edible.

Originally posted by Kyote View Post
        looks very good. nice and golden. I think I might be afraid to ask ....what the heck do they suck???

Comment

Originally posted by SmokinLee View Post
          Thats why we skinney dip up noth here. I've had sucker smoked and then pickled. They are purty darned good. They are a bony fish and the pickling kinda dissolves the bones, or at least makes them edible.
          Holly suckers I fell out of my chair. I have not laughed so hard in so long. thank you.
          sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
          nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

Actually here in Michigan we have a variety of suckers. Not to be mistaken with the carp. Suckers are a bottom feeder and actually look like they have lips. There a fun fish to catch and best times are in the spring when water temps are cold. There place here in Michigan that they smoke the fish right on the banks of the river. Most here in my area the best way is spearing them at night. Not an expert on this fish but as the water warms up the meat of the fish will seem to turn like mush when caught. So that is why they are most fished for in the spring usually right after a good a rain or high water.
            If You Can Not Stand Behind Our Troops,
            Please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them

Comment

Looks good Bill! That brings back memories of sucker snagging in Michigan years ago. We would snag them out of the pool below the power house in Elk Rapids (by Lake Michigan). We'd get a couple of gunny sacks full and just gut, remove the head and tail and scale them. Then cut into chunks and pressure can in pint jars using 1/2 teaspoon of salt and a tablespoon of vinegar. After a couple of weeks, the only bone left was the backbone which is easily removed. We would open a jar and mix with crushed saltine crackers, salt pepper, chopped onion and 1/4 cup of mayonnaise. Fried in a little butter until brown, they made some great fish patties.
              sigpic
              Smoke Vault 24

Comment

I've heard of them, but never have eaten them... they look and sound deelishus!!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Looks good Bill. Going to hit the trout stream here in Preston Mon or Tue. Get a few trout and a bunch of sucker.
                  https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

Heck,,a shoe would be tasty smoked that way....Not sure if we have them suckers around these parts..

Comment

Very nice fillets there
                      Jerod
                      GOT-Q-4-U bbq team
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ALX View Post
                        Heck,,a shoe would be tasty smoked that way....Not sure if we have them suckers around these parts..

LMAO.I/ve said the same thing about any meat in jerky and anything pickled
                        2-22.5'' weber
                        1-18'' weber
                        1 smokey joe
                        22.5'' wsm
                        24'' smoke vault
                        1-outhouse
                        Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
                        Smoked meathead #135

Comment

Originally posted by ALX View Post

Now that's funny.
                          BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
                          Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
                          I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Here's a few pics - apparently quit a large family of fish.

Look a little like a tench/roach cross to me (well the first pic does).

The smoked stuff sure looks good though :-)
                            Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                            Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

just bumped into this thread today.... smoked & pickled carp and suckers, crackers and beers. brings back fond memories
                              Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X