Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BBQ Engineer View Post
    Scott,

My better half loves smoked salmon so I frequently smoke some up for her...I'm marking this so I can do some experimenting next time. Love Bassman's Jap salt, and I think this looked great. for some experimenting inspiration.

Don't have access to Alder...Up for a trade?

On Edit...The man says I gots to spread 'em round...I'll hit ya' back!
    Dana.... I PM'd you.....

Originally posted by RowdyRay View Post
    Scott, you did great on those. Sure looks delicious. Like the idea. I usually grill it or smoke it longer and dryer. May have to try that for dinner some night.
    The 2 hour smoke will result in a moist finished fish, which I like, but I like the "moist" from the fat/oil in the fish & not the water..... the paper towels will help this.... You can also leave the bag open as they cool as erain mentioned, or if you have a Cat like we do..... use alternative methods.

Originally posted by salmonclubber View Post
    Scott
    You sure know how to make a 9 pound minnow last a long time J/K LOL nice job on the fish it looks great I bet it tasted as good as it looks great job
    ....... Do I have you beat so far this year Huey? ...... Yeah, if I was up in Fork, we woulda "cut plugged" that King with some 12/0 Gamakatsu's and went after some "Real Fish" eh ..... Our boat did OK, but my buddies fishing in their Grady White got 4 over 20# and 1 over 30# this week. I was happy not to get sick.... .....

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
    Me too.
    Scott, if you sent me a taste of that, I'd eat it even if it went bad.
    Tom..... You are a true Gentleman...... One of these days, I gotta Flash Freeze & Dry Ice some & ship it out.....

NOTE: Bassman's buddies Jalapeno Salt has some staying power with the Heat.... ..... I do recommend it if you like that kinda thing.
    sigpic

Comment

Damn that looks good! Nicely done Scott!
      Smoke it.. and they will come!

Rob
      Recipes & Smokes in HD Video
      SmokingPit.com

Yoder YS640
      Yoder Wichita
      Arizona BBQ Outfitters Scottsdale
      Camp Chef FTG600 Flat Top Griddle
      Blackstone 22" Flat Top Griddle

Comment

Yum-diddily-um!
        Bet that was really, really tasty
        Another thing just made the never ending but eventually cooking to-do list
        There is a cure...http://phoenixtears.ca/

sigpic

Comment

Looks Great Scott!!!!------

When I have some that's extra moist after thawing, I just wrap it in a couple paper towels, and put it in fridge like that. You can always put it in another bag to keep it from getting too dry, if there's any left.
          I doubt any of that will be around very long!!!

Bear
          Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
          Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

I am supposed to be getting some salmon this weekend. I think I will give this a try, although I don't have the jap salt...maybe make my own with jalepeno powder and salt?
            Thanks!
            Mismoke

Charbroil CB940x (or equivelent-35 yrs old)
            Solaire infrared portable
            Yoder YS640
            Maverick ET 732
            A-Maze-N Tube smoker

View some of my photos at:
            https://picasaweb.google.com/111720899019925422024

Comment

Originally posted by mismoke View Post
              I am supposed to be getting some salmon this weekend. I think I will give this a try, although I don't have the jap salt...maybe make my own with jalepeno powder and salt?
              Thanks!
              I think you could go that route

Here's what I've been making & it's killer on wings too

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/sho...o+salt+fishawn
              sigpic

Comment

Interesting technique. Short brine, kinda hot smoke, and then the drying with the paper towels. So you are clearly not going for a "Lox" type of product. Sounds great. I got a slab of Salmon in my freezer that my boss just brought me from a fishing trip to the Northwest. Sounds like a good treatment, since I can't cold smoke here until about mid October.

Looks good!
                A few of my favorite things:
                Good Whiskey
                Good Food
                Bad Girls
                sigpic

NRA Endowment Member
                Certified Glock Armorer

Comment

Originally posted by Snarlingiron View Post
                  So you are clearly not going for a "Lox" type of product.
                  Correct. This type of brine is popular in my area, as well as the wet brine & I use both depending on mood

Lower temps for longer periods are also common, especially with the ever popular Little or Big Chief electric smokers.
                  sigpic

Comment

Nice looking Salmon!

I have been cooking cedar planked smoked salmon probably once a week for the last month on my kettle. I make a rub of white sugar, kosher salt, pepper, lime zest, and cayenne pepper and heavily coat it and let it set over night. I cook it for about 30 minutes indirect heat on the kettle with apple wood chips and then move it over direct heat for a couple minutes to firm it up. not a fancy process like yours, but I like the results! it is really tasty when my wife makes a homemade cucumber mango salsa to serve on top. i will have to post some photos next time i cook it. i need to get my some jap powder! where do you get that stuff?!
                    -Modified Brinkmann Gourmet Charcoal Smoker
                    -22.5" Blue Weber Gold w/ weber side table
                    -18.5" '69 daisy wheel Weber redhead restored
                    -Smokey Joe Silver x 2 --- one turned Mini WSM
                    -Coleman road trip grill
                    -Charbroil performance gasser
                    -Maveric ET-732
                    -CI: Le Creuset#23, Wagner#3, Wagner square skillet, lodge#8, wagner #9 griddle, griswold #9 slant griddle, griswold #10 block skillet, griswold #5 small, griswold #7 slant skillet w/ heat ring, griswold #8 block with self basting lid

Comment

Working...
                    X