Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on buying my first smoker

Hi all

As the title says would like some advice on buying my first smoker. I live in the U.K. So there doesn't seem to be loads of choice but am looking at the below link

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00...jKL&ref=plSrch

Would really appreciate some advice from some more experienced cooks than me. I want to try my hand at cooking pork shoulders and ribs. Do you think the above will be good enough to get tasty results. Will it hold its temperature well etc

Any advice appreciated

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's not a bad smoker, but in order to make it efficient it requires modifications. I don't know what they cost but as a beginner I highly suggest a weber 22" kettle grill. You can smoke on it, and it it's very easy to use and forgiving for newbie smokers/grillers. Besides if you find that smoking isn't for you and you prefer just grilling you don't have to swap out to a new tool. Somewhere on this site is a post about modifying your original link. I'll see if I can find it.

Comment

First off, Welcome Aboard from Florida!!

I find those vertical charcoal units kinda tricky to maintain even temps. I guess it depends on what your lookin to smoke. They kinda leak a lot.
      A Weber is more versatile and an offset is easier to keep even temps. JMHO.
      Mark
      sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
      Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

These might also help....
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoixEjx3HyA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qYYf7j4LEg

except you also might want to get some high temp food safe3 silicone seal and make gaskets for the door(S).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LRLELK0...a-315893651741
        Last edited by gmotoman; 06-19-2017, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Hi great videos thanks. Think it looks quite doable looking forward to having a go at building it!

Comment

I'm a Weber guy. If you want JUST a smoker, take a look at the 18.5 or 22.5 inch WSM (Weber Smokey Mountain). Affordable, versatile, very good tools the both of them. And, the Weber kettle will do anything you want. Plus you can grill on it. I'd go Weber if I were you...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
              I'm a Weber guy. If you want JUST a smoker, take a look at the 18.5 or 22.5 inch WSM (Weber Smokey Mountain). Affordable, versatile, very good tools the both of them. And, the Weber kettle will do anything you want. Plus you can grill on it. I'd go Weber if I were you...
              This! /\
              Craig
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
                Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
                This! /\
                X3. They will cook anything. Everybody should have at least one IMO
                sigpic

Comment

Ok thanks have found a place selling the smokey mountain model in the U.K. What is the biggest difference between a vertical smoker like this compared to an offset smoker like I was looking at. If it's vertical is it harder to keep the temperature as low as you want it for a long cook?

Comment

Originally posted by newbie View Post
                    Ok thanks have found a place selling the smokey mountain model in the U.K. What is the biggest difference between a vertical smoker like this compared to an offset smoker like I was looking at. If it's vertical is it harder to keep the temperature as low as you want it for a long cook?

No, it's much easier to control the temps in a vertical. Also less fuel usage and longer cooks without having to tend the fire every 45 minutes like an offset smoker.
                    JMHO-YMMV
                    Jim

Comment

Originally posted by BYBBQ View Post
                      No, it's much easier to control the temps in a vertical. Also less fuel usage and longer cooks without having to tend the fire every 45 minutes like an offset smoker.
                      JMHO-YMMV
                      Exactly. My stick burner is a fuel hog and needs tending to very often. You cannot go wrong with the WSM.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

With both a WSM and a Weber kettle, there's pretty not much you can't do.
                        Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
                        My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
                        @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Working...
                        X