Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S.I.P raised bed planters

Yo Y'all,
    At Christmas 2016, I agreed to do a project for Mrs Otis and build her 4 raised bed planters. The project had a number of setbacks and design changes, but I finally wrapped it up this weekend. I built the 4) 12' X 3' X 24" planter boxes after work and on weekends last spring. Then scorching summer and the health bug bit me and I had to hold off till after my back surgery. Finally got the last 2 done.

I got 2 of them filled and set up a drip irrigation system with drainage for them and Mrs. Otis has been growing vegies in them for about 8 months now. But I wanted to try something different for the other 2 boxes. I saw an article on the interweb about building Sub-Irrigated Planters (S.I.P.) and decided to try it on the other 2. I found this website which was about the best I found to explain it all, http://albopepper.com/SIP-raised-bed.php I'm not sure how well it will work out, but it was worth a try. If it works, the advantages are they will be essentially maintenance free and will water the plants from underneath. Should really be a benefit when it hots 115 degrees. If not, they can work just fine as top watered planters.

This is an old pic after the first 2 were done. THe 2 empty ones are the S.I.P. planters.

I started out by leveling off the dirt, removing any and all stones, big and small. Next step was to put an underlayment down to be a barrier to help prevent damage and leaks to the liner. I used Harbor freight tarps - Cheap and effective.

I used corregated drainage pipe for the reservoir. The idea is that you need a resevoir seperated from the dirt and also having an air pocket to get oxygen to the roots. I adopted this design from Albopepper's website. The ends are covered with shade cloth to prevent dirt from getting in and mixing with the water.

The internet sites suggest using pond liner, but thats pricey here in the desert. I chose to try using heavy duty construction grade 6 mil visqueen double lined as my reservoir. It seems to not be leaking anywhere so far.

Here's the pipes in the lined planter. I installed a drain tube that is positioned at about 3/4 of the diameter, which will allow for an air cavity underneath the soil and keep the water level constant.

Albopepper claims that no significant soil will get into the corrugated drainage pipes, but I chose to lay down a layer of nylon shade cloth to be sure. I used 4x4 blocks as spacers to keep the distance between pipes relatively equal. The layer of soil used around the pipes is as loamy as I could make it.

The bottom layer of soil covering the pipes. I mixed peat moss, vermiculite, perlite and garden mulch to wick up water to the plants roots, or so the theory goes. The top layer of soil is some local soil, Tim's Organic garden soil that I bought by the trailer load.

The finished beds. I made a drip system to hydrate the soil from the beginning. It was super dry and it took quite a while to get it hydrated on the other beds. Plus it will help to prevent everything from drying out when the summer heat hits here in the desert.

Final results.

Eventually, I plan to put a pergola over them. The heat gets brutal on gardens here in the desert, and some bird netting really helps the harvest too. Frigin birds! But for now, Mrs. Otis has her final 2 raisde beds operational and has already planted Spinach, Beets, red Romaine lettuce, radishes, cilantro, parsley & Thyme in them. She's stoked, and you know what they say, Happy wife, happy life!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Otis857; 01-15-2018, 03:49 PM.
    Mike
    Proud to be I.B.E.W.

PCa Sucks - But I WILL, No DID beat this!!

Yoder YS640
    POS ChinaMasterbuilt XL (demoted to cold smoking duty)
    Bull Big Bahanga gas grill

Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most!

The Picture Links all give me this:

Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

Bear
    Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
    Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Just got it fixed. Dont know what happened, they showed up during the preview. But no go on the final send off. Had to reload the attachments. Im sure it must have been operator error.
      Mike
      Proud to be I.B.E.W.

Yoder YS640

Comment

Looks nice! Hard to think about a garden when it's 5 degrees out and wind blowing 30 mph but I have been hoping to get an aquaponics system setup.
        sigpic

Comment

The Pics are working now & they look Great !!
          Too much work for me nowadays!!

My Buddy Hunky Jack put big tubes in the ground next to each of his tomato plants, so he could pour water in the tubes, taking water right to the Roots.
          I tried to talk him into pouring some of his Case of Bud a day in the one of the Tubes. It was a No-Go!!
          I really thought I could---Must just be too tight to part with a few Buds!!!

Bear
          Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
          Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcarver View Post
            The Pics are working now & they look Great !!
            Too much work for me nowadays!!

My Buddy Hunky Jack put big tubes in the ground next to each of his tomato plants, so he could pour water in the tubes, taking water right to the Roots.
            I tried to talk him into pouring some of his Case of Bud a day in the one of the Tubes. It was a No-Go!!
            I really thought I could---Must just be too tight to part with a few Buds!!!

Bear
            THats the idea here too (not the Bud). I have a water valve at the top that has a tube down to the corrugated pipes under the soil. I just have to turn it on til it runs out of the over flow tube and the reservoir if fillet. I just hope the wicking action works as well as they claim.
            Mike
            Proud to be I.B.E.W.

Yoder YS640

Comment

That's sweet! When we had our garden built, we didn't do the waterpiping thing... kinda wish we had.

Grate job bro!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

nice work... my studies to get off me a$$ & finish my private pilots license is the drive right now...
                Sunset Eagle Aviation
                https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Those look great!! Have fun with the veggies!! Now get some pepper plants in there!!
                  Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
                  Yoder YS640
                  Weber Genesis
                  Weber 18.5" Kettle
                  Weber Performer
                  Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Thanks everyone. It was a big project and fun to build, but I still need to put up a pergola over it b4 the summer heat wave.

Originally posted by barkonbutts View Post
                    Those look great!! Have fun with the veggies!! Now get some pepper plants in there!!
                    10-4 We do have Bell peppers, Anehiems, and Jalapenos in the other 2 raised beds.They took a hit last summer, but we're hoping for better results this year. Thanks for the points too
                    Mike
                    Proud to be I.B.E.W.

Yoder YS640

Comment

Looking good.....

Save on the old back & knees....
                      sigpic

22’ kettle
                      5 burner gas grill
                      Anova
                      Hobart Meat Grinder 4822 series
                      F.Dick 12 Ltr. Sausage Stuffer

There's only two types of Beer: Cold and Free.
                      _____
                      Jim

Comment

I like the concept of watering from below...Especially in the desert...Plant's roots will always go deeper looking for water...Watering at the surface keeps the roots near the surface
                        Craig
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kicken Asphalt View Post
                          Looking good.....

Save on the old back & knees....
                          Thanks KA. As we getting up there, thats a real issue. Sure sucks getting older

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
                          I like the concept of watering from below...Especially in the desert...Plant's roots will always go deeper looking for water...Watering at the surface keeps the roots near the surface
                          Thanks Craig. Now we have 2 different types to compare to see which works better. Thanks for the points too
                          Mike
                          Proud to be I.B.E.W.

Yoder YS640

Comment

looks good....almost went with something similar but wasn't sure that would work in my case. your planters are wood (mine are metal cattle troughs) and not in direct sun for extended period......figured i'd just boil my plants....nice job!
                            sigpic
                            it's all good my friend..........

Comment

I did a little tune-up on yer post Otis. Nice project!
                              In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Working...
                              X