Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Community Ribfest?

Greetings to all!

I've been toying with an idea for some time now. I have no idea how to make it work, though. I know it can, it does elsewhere. It's more an idea to get our town to get out and make friends more than anything else.

I'd like to organize a community ribfest. Nothing big or fancy. Not a lot of special rules and hoops to jump through. Just a friendly gathering of people that like BBQ and maybe some kind of judging with prizes that would mean something to local people.

The only thing I'd really like to emphasize is that each entrant would need to have some kind of sample table with treats for visitors.

I might have a lead on a local company that would underwrite expenses in exchange for "Sponsored By" type advertising. We have a fair number of local butcher shops and stores that might be willing to offer specials for registered participants. Our county produces one helluva lot of pork.

It would be really cool if the whole thing could expand to include a chili cook off some time in the future.

I've tried looking for some kind of path to follow, but keep coming up empty.

Has anyone here done something similar? Perhaps, if it grows, it could turn more 'professional', but that's not what I want. Just Uncle Joe and Aunt Mable out for a good time, old friends becoming re-acquainted.

There are a lot of parks in the area that could support a good sized gathering, some with lake access for swimmers and boaters.

So, what kind of job am I trying to tackle here? Any ideas for general rules? Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanx.
    Jerry aka 5lakes

dude, i was just thinkin' this evening 'bout doin sumthing like this for a church event. saturday parking lot deal, maybe a fund raiser?

good luck
    Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Hey!

After posting and thinking a bit, I thought about this possibly being a fundraiser for area youth groups, Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts, local mentoring. Great idea you had there! Thanks.
      Jerry aka 5lakes

Comment

Great idea. Call the local Health Dep't. Good luck.
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
          Great idea. Call the local Health Dep't. Good luck.
          If I recall, you live here in MN. Technically, if you are not selling a product, you can give it away to the public, without jumping through the licensing and inspection BS. But its kind of a grey area, possibly subject to the conditions of the municipality you live in. A lot of it will depend on how you organize the event. If you charge admission, that could be construed as "selling", which would probably make it a real hassle to offer up Q. Fill us in on some more details, and maybe we can help you a bit more.
          Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

U think you can get more than a couple guys to cook?
            The first thing you need is cash for prizes, nobody cooks for free.
            You cant even think about passing out food without the HD getting involved and that will prety much take the wind out of your sails.

Where are you located? The GLBBQA is a great help for contests like this, maybe you have a local association by you.

Comment

How big of a town are we talking here? Would you be expecting hundreds or thousands of people?
              Propane Smoke Shack
              UDS
              Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
                U think you can get more than a couple guys to cook?
                The first thing you need is cash for prizes, nobody cooks for free.
                You cant even think about passing out food without the HD getting involved and that will prety much take the wind out of your sails.

Where are you located? The GLBBQA is a great help for contests like this, maybe you have a local association by you.
                I cook real good for free. All the time.
                "We were mostly a drug addled band of misfits, and dreamers".

Comment

We have an event like that here every July. They have a rib comp and the competitors cook ribs to sell to the public to fund the event.

It doesn't cost any $ to enter and they supply the ribs for comp. No prize money, just T-shirts. Would be nice to get paid, but it is a good time.

Not real big, but we did have 16 teams last year. Good times. Just a great reason to get together, cook all day and sauce ourselves.

Oh yeah, they do supply the competitors with well stocked coolers.
                  Orchard Hill BBQ

Twin Chamber Rotisserie Trailer
                  Modified Chargriller RF
                  250 Gallon Homegrown Cooker

I THINK HIS SHIRT SAYS IT ALL

Comment

I've wanted to do that in my hometown as well, but it seemed like a lot of red tape, and a kinda big pain in the a**, so we're talking about having a neighborhood party, were us neighbors can get together, cookout, and socialize

GOSM
                    K.C.B.S Member # 60786
                    Digital Thermometers
                    Hybrid Kenmore grill 1/2 charcoal 1/2 gas
                    140 lb English Mastiff/ American Bulldog, she is my taste tester and BBQ companion.

Comment

Thanx for the comments.

Yeah, the health department is my big worry. I need to talk to them first to see if I can jump their hoops.

Minnesota is the state, we are far south central. Dangerously close to Iowa
                      Population is about 10,000. Not sure how many would enter this kind of thing. We have a pork cook off at the county fair, but that's more restaurants than what I'm looking for. A successful first time would probably have 5 to 10 teams. Having a couple hundred visitors/spectators would be cool. That would include kids.

I had thought about an admission fee, but that may not be the best way to go. I think it would have a better chance with no fees. Maybe sell some t-shirts or something like that.

The best park location has two swimming beaches, shelter house and restrooms. This summer would probably be cutting it short, time wise, so I'm sure next year would be easier to plan for.
                      Jerry aka 5lakes

Comment

Jerry, that sounds like something that would be allot of fun, and allot of work, but could be worth it. Aren't you over by Windom or that area? I think the first place you should contact would be the local dept. of health. Let them know what your ideas are and go from there. I don't know so much about prize money, maybe some trophies. I would think that if you offered a challenge to the locals and the surrounding areas to come on out and show of their Q, not the ones that do it for money, but the ones that seek bragging rights amongst their friends, you might have a pretty good turn out. Although you might have a few here or there that have done a few comps, I don't know. I think by limiting any prize money or keep it to something like T-shirts, trophies, some big gift certificates from large vendors that would be willing to sponsor like Cabelas, Gander Mountain, Lowes ect, you might get quite a few participants. One will never know unless they try.
                        https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

we did a church chilli cook off last feb. 20 crock pots full of chilli and raised $600.00. i know that it is not goobs of money but it was a great fun time
                          Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by new smoke View Post
                            We have an event like that here every July. They have a rib comp and the competitors cook ribs to sell to the public to fund the event.

It doesn't cost any $ to enter and they supply the ribs for comp. No prize money, just T-shirts. Would be nice to get paid, but it is a good time.

Not real big, but we did have 16 teams last year. Good times. Just a great reason to get together, cook all day and sauce ourselves.

Oh yeah, they do supply the competitors with well stocked coolers.
                            MY MAN!!! you need to tell me about this some more! I'd love to come down and do a little cook like that. hell... if they are supplying the food and beer, i think i could manage to supply the charcoal. lol

Later,
                            Andy
                            Current babies:
                            -Daughter's 10"x24" RF smoker
                            -RichTee's Lang :)
                            Former Lineup:
                            -Charbroil Santa Fe grill
                            -1954'ish Philco fridge smoker
                            -1950's GE electric fridge smoker in progress (Went to WuTang and will probably never be completed. lol)
                            -enough beer to drown any problem/ailment you may encounter

"if you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough"
                            BTW, U of M sucks, Go Big Red! I have bragging rights to 2018!

Comment

just call it a pot luck. Once money and sponsors get into the mix it can get more dificult.

I have done one the past couple years on my property. No hassles from the law or Health Dept.

Last year I did a whole hog, and we had a couple folks with smokers, the year before we had 10 smokers, folks just brought, prepared and shared what they made.

No one at my get togethers was looking to make a dime, it was about hanging out with friends , sharing, eating, smoking, drinking, etc., not awards or $$$$.

I had close to 100 people each year. Not doing it this year due to a sickness in the family, hoping to resume the tradition next year.

Good luck organizing your event, they are alot of work, but alot of fun.
                              Last edited by chisoxjim; 04-07-2011, 03:08 PM.
                              Just because you welded some shit together doesnt make it a WSM.

Twitter: @GrubSeeker

Comment

Working...
                              X