No announcement yet.

Community Ribfest?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

here's a basic question that no one seems to have asked yet... is there a checklist of things to buy/acquire, or any rule of thumbs like 1/2 lb of meat per adult, 1/4 lb per kid, etc? i am doing a small one (hopefully) at my place within the next month or so and can keep things in my head pretty well, but if I were to do a larger family reunion style gathering, i'd be looking at closer to 150 people. we usually rent out a hall that seats 150 comfortably, and there are still kids up running around, adults standing, etc...

Later,
    Andy
    Current babies:
    -Daughter's 10"x24" RF smoker
    -RichTee's Lang :)
    Former Lineup:
    -Charbroil Santa Fe grill
    -1954'ish Philco fridge smoker
    -1950's GE electric fridge smoker in progress (Went to WuTang and will probably never be completed. lol)
    -enough beer to drown any problem/ailment you may encounter

"if you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough"
    BTW, U of M sucks, Go Big Red! I have bragging rights to 2018!

Comment

July 9th. Germanfest in Syracuse. Last I knew, they are doing the ribfest again this year. It will be the 11th annual. Last year was my first year competing. No payout, just free beer.

It's a good time. Usually hotter than hell and I got sunburned to shit last year. I'll have a couple canopies this year.

Originally posted by aczeller View Post
      MY MAN!!! you need to tell me about this some more! I'd love to come down and do a little cook like that. hell... if they are supplying the food and beer, i think i could manage to supply the charcoal. lol

Later,
      Andy
      Orchard Hill BBQ

Twin Chamber Rotisserie Trailer
      Modified Chargriller RF
      250 Gallon Homegrown Cooker

I THINK HIS SHIRT SAYS IT ALL

Comment

sweet. I just looked it up and they don't have any info on it yet, but i bookmarked the page. if all goes half-way decent this year, i shouldn't have an issue making it down. thanks for the heads up!

Later,
        Andy
        Current babies:
        Former Lineup:
        -1950's GE electric fridge smoker in progress (Went to WuTang and will probably never be completed. lol)

Comment

Cool. It's a good time. Hope you can make it.

The more the merrier.

Originally posted by aczeller View Post
          sweet. I just looked it up and they don't have any info on it yet, but i bookmarked the page. if all goes half-way decent this year, i shouldn't have an issue making it down. thanks for the heads up!

Later,
          Andy
          Orchard Hill BBQ

Twin Chamber Rotisserie Trailer
          Modified Chargriller RF
          250 Gallon Homegrown Cooker

I THINK HIS SHIRT SAYS IT ALL

Comment

Usually, if you give food away, or keep it small and on a weekend, you won't have much problem from the health dept folks...
            Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

I checked out the rules and such. Not much chance I'm going to do this, not without a lot more resources than I have. Checked with a few people that love to barbecue, no one was willing to say they would enter, but all said they would come to eat.

Maybe this summer I'll visit a couple and talk to the organizers about how they get past everything.

The idea of a community get-together is a great one! I hadn't considered that, but it would probably be the best way to go, if I can find out a few people will cook and/or bring something.
              Jerry aka 5lakes

Comment

i'm now thinking i'll start with something really small, like a sunday school group and trying to grow it from that. i know of several guys that smoke in that group and i am certain that they can be will be thinking i can do it better than that. and away it goes? okay maybe not
                Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 5lakes View Post
                  I checked out the rules and such. Not much chance I'm going to do this, not without a lot more resources than I have. Checked with a few people that love to barbecue, no one was willing to say they would enter, but all said they would come to eat.

Maybe this summer I'll visit a couple and talk to the organizers about how they get past everything.

The idea of a community get-together is a great one! I hadn't considered that, but it would probably be the best way to go, if I can find out a few people will cook and/or bring something.

what if you were to run it as a donation-based only event, and donate the profits to a charity or group? for example, the boy scouts or a church. get a couple of guys from that group to help... have them buy the materials, and you just supply the smoker?

or possibly for something like the Red Cross? you supply everything, ask for donations, re-coup your costs, and give the rest to the charity? I know the latter sounds like you are "skimming off the top", but i don't really know of any other way to say it.

typically, (when i was in scouts), we would hold events like that pretty regularly and never had a problem covering our costs. when people know their money will help their community, they are a lot more likely to give.

Later,
                  Andy
                  Current babies:
                  Former Lineup:

Comment

Working...
                  X