Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The First Annual Smoked-Meat.com Forum Omaha Invitational Warmup Event!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BUMP!!! New Smoke, any news on next month's call schedule?
    Current babies:
    -Daughter's 10"x24" RF smoker
    -RichTee's Lang :)
    Former Lineup:
    -Charbroil Santa Fe grill
    -1954'ish Philco fridge smoker
    -1950's GE electric fridge smoker in progress (Went to WuTang and will probably never be completed. lol)
    -enough beer to drown any problem/ailment you may encounter

"if you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough"
    BTW, U of M sucks, Go Big Red! I have bragging rights to 2018!

Comment

The weekend of May 7th is the only one that may work. But, if the weather is good, I'll be in a tractor somewhere pulling a planter...it's my second or third job. I'm losing track.

I've got a niece's graduation one weekend, call one weekend and a memorial weekend camping trip that weekend.

It's not looking good for me. This is shaping up to be the busiest summer ever.
      Orchard Hill BBQ

Twin Chamber Rotisserie Trailer
      Modified Chargriller RF
      250 Gallon Homegrown Cooker

I THINK HIS SHIRT SAYS IT ALL

Comment

Originally posted by new smoke View Post
        It's not looking good for me. This is shaping up to be the busiest summer ever.
        That's too bad. Maybe another time. Well, I guess me and Andy will have to drink your share of the beer.
        KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

Originally posted by wutang View Post
          That's too bad. Maybe another time. Well, I guess me and Andy will have to drink your share of the beer.
          You better bring extra.... I already called dibs on his fair share... in spirit. Lol
          Current babies:
          Former Lineup:
          -1950's GE electric fridge smoker in progress (Went to WuTang and will probably never be completed. lol)

Comment

Good idea. We do this here in MI with the Eagle Warm-up cook. In two weeks...I'm soo geeked to see my cookin' buds and other teams again after this LONG COLD winter!
            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by wutang View Post
              Yeah, it sucks...I think I work too much. That's what my wife keeps telling me.

There is a cup holder in the tractor, but I don't think the boss would go for a frosty cold one in there.

Well....maybe just one.
              Orchard Hill BBQ

Twin Chamber Rotisserie Trailer
              Modified Chargriller RF
              250 Gallon Homegrown Cooker

I THINK HIS SHIRT SAYS IT ALL

Comment

well, i have sent out a few "personal" invites to others in the area and have not heard anything yet... as of right now, there is me, Phil (Weekend Warrior) and Adam (WuTang)... as previously noted, anyone is welcome... just give me a heads up so i know how much stuff to get (plates, condiments, etc)

After thinking about it, i have some relatively small "prize baskets" for the "winners" (everyone who shows up is a "winner"... cheesy... i know). I have a shit-ton of apple, Mulberry, and Maple wood, so a relatively large assortment of wood will be going home with each person... I might be able to work up a couple other prizes... a redneck trophy, some rubs, etc... not sure yet. if anyone else wants to pitch in, let me know what you got and how you want it distributed (to the "grand champion", to everyone, etc)

as of right now, i plan on the women being the judges... we all know that i am the best pitmaster of all time, but this mini-comp should seal in my undefeated record.

Later,
                Andy
                Current babies:
                Former Lineup:

Comment

Sorry to hitch hike...but..you mentioned Mulberry wood for smoking..is this like the fruitless, shade tree type Mulberry?? I heard you could smoke with it but I just use it for camp fires..

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Checkered Past View Post
                    Sorry to hitch hike...but..you mentioned Mulberry wood for smoking..is this like the fruitless, shade tree type Mulberry?? I heard you could smoke with it but I just use it for camp fires..

Thanks
                    honestly (and i know this sounds bad), but i don't know. a lady near my office cut down her "Mulberry Tree" and offered the wood for free to the first person who could cut the bigger pieces and haul it off. I instantly went over and grabbed it that night and came home with a bottomed-out 1/2 ton truck worth of wood. It smells great and reminds me a lot of apple, but possibly a little more bitter.

I checked out "Mulberry" in the Wood section of the forum and just read ken's little excerpt. the way i see it, worst case scenario, i ruin a rack of ribs and just use the rest for firewood.

Later,
                    Andy
                    Current babies:
                    Former Lineup:

Comment

Mulberry is fine.

Comment

okay... the 29th is a "surprise" b-day party for my grandmother... the 3rd or 4th one in a row...

anyway, let's plan on the night of May 6th & all day on the 7th. does that work for everybody? I've got another guy at work that may be coming to "compete" too, so that's be 4...

I figured i'd also throw in some cheese into the prize basket and a "gift certificate" towards a few items from Blackshirt BBQ & Supply... they have been so generous to us...

Later,
                        Andy
                        Current babies:
                        Former Lineup:

Comment

At first I thought that would almost work better....then I was reminded that we have a bunch of stuff planned for that weekend. That Sat. is booked with a bunch of family stuff that I can't reschedule. I would probably be able to stop by for a bit on Fri and a little while on Saturday, but I wouldn't really be able to cook.

Sorry man. I was excited for a mini comp cook. But I can still stop by for a while at least.
                          Last edited by wutang; 04-18-2011, 08:41 PM. Reason: corrected.
                          KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

no worries... what about the weekend after that? it's not really a comp without at least 3 guys there...
                            Current babies:
                            Former Lineup:

Comment

Ya no ,I guy really has to give Kudos to the Iowa bunch and any others who have pulled these things off.It all sounds great and no doubt would be. but what a chore to put together.Don't give up Andy it will definatley be a fun one!
                              2-22.5'' weber
                              1-18'' weber
                              1 smokey joe
                              22.5'' wsm
                              24'' smoke vault
                              1-outhouse
                              Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
                              Smoked meathead #135

Comment

hell... it's no chore to me. I have to do the same stuff any other time i have a get-together... this time, i just don't have to cook so much damn food. lol.

1.) clean the shop - in progress
                                2.) clean the house - in progress
                                3.) clean the shitter - to do that day
                                4.) mow the lawn - the day before
                                5.) clean the driveway and just pick up in general - do that the day before...

all in all, it's a lot more work for the first cook out since i have a winter's worth of shit in the garage, but after that, it stays pretty organized the rest of the summer. like i said, i have to do all this stuff for any other cookout, so it's no big deal... just buy a few more plates, cups, beers, etc... it's all good.

Later,
                                Andy
                                Current babies:
                                Former Lineup:

Comment

Working...
                                X