First Comp-Maybe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Comp-Maybe

There is an IBCA sanctioned benefit cook off in my neck of the woods in Aug. It will consist of brisket, pork spare ribs and 1/2 chicken.
    I would like to pick the brains of those that have competed in IBCA events as I have a few questions.

[Chicken]
    - Chicken--I assume the chicken is "halved" at the event. Is there an easy way to do it?

- I've cooked whole chickens, wings, thighs and breasts before but never a half chicken. What would be the approx time for a half to get to the proper temp?

- Chicken skin- would one finish the half over a hot fire to crisp the skin or would it be best to get the skin "bite through tender"?

[Brisket]
    I've only cooked a handful of briskets. The first one was like leather (overcooked) but decent flavor and smoke ring. Each cook thereafter I've been able to produce a better product. The first couple were cooked low and slow (250 and under). The last one hot and fast (325-350). The HNF was the best as for as tenderness and moistness but lacked smoke flavor.
    - I assume most comp cooks would cook a brisket low and slow. For comp quality would it be best to wrap at 165 and pull when probe tender?
    - Since turn is for this event is slices, would you separate the point and flat before wrapping and just use the point for burnt ends?

[Spares]
    I've cooked a few but never consistent with the final product. Some have come out with a little tug and some were over cooked (which is how my friends and family like them).
    - From watching the shows on TV the judges seem to want a tender rib with a little tug. How would you determine a point when to pull the ribs to obtain tenderness but not overcooked?
    - Seems like the judges like the brown sugar, butter, honey and tiger sauce when wrapping. For those who compete, would you agree?
    - Cutting - do you cut each rib with the slab meat side down? And would you cut in the middle of each rib to make it more uniform?

[General]
    - Rubs. Judges appear to want something sweet with a little back end heat. Is there a favorite commercial rub that could be used with a little "doctoring". I have MH and I like it but it's not sweet so I would have to add sugar. Not sure how well MH would take to sugar but I suppose it would be worth a try. Anyone out there add sugar to MH and if so how did it turn out?
    - Coffee or espresso based rubs. Would it be worth trying? I would like to use something a bit complex for the brisket since Louisiana is not really known as a BBQ state.
    - Sauce. Do you apply during the last stage of the cook or just before turn in? I'm not a huge sauce fan but I do like a little sauce that contains some sweet and some heat. I like SBR as a base. Would anyone recommend using SBR and doctoring up with some Tabasco and honey or another sweetener?

Sorry for so many questions. I have no expectations other than to not finish last in any category.
    Thanks in advance for any and all comments.
    Eddie
    Stumps Baby
    Bubba Keg Convection Grill
    Digi Q
    Gasser with 4+ yrs of dust
    Custom end grain cutting board
    Superfast Yellow Thermapen
    18 " Smoke Vault
    12" AMNTS
    AMNPS
    Newbie beer brewer

Just a quick reply on the MH rub. Many do add sugar. I would suggest turbanado to help prevent burning, but at lower temps brown works well too. Also consider a sweet base...honey or agave liquid perhaps.
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Working...
    X