Posted On: 09-23-2017
Replies: 22
Views: 232
0 Yet Another Pulled Pork Thread...
Last Post: HawgHeaven
Replies: 43
Views: 721
0 Country Style Ribs (SV & Grill) Best Ever!
Last Post: Otis857
Replies: 6
Views: 67
0 When Your Vegan Son Comes Home From College.... Vortex!
Last Post: Spivitz
Replies: 11
Views: 134
More...
Mini Stats
Members 7,344 Entries 1
Members Entries
Threads 42,590 Reviews 1
Threads Reviews
Posts 638,556 Polls 36
Posts Polls
Content 0 Files 2
Content Files
Links 0 Ads 1
Links Ads
More...

Old 08-25-2017, 11:46 AM
Meatasaurus

AJ Is  A Name Known To All
AJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To All
Default Breaking down top sirloin

A few of us from work were talking about the top sirloin coulette steak. It gets some high ratings and it is more economical than the standard ribeye or strip steak. I looked in all of the stores and nobody offered them. I looked at my local Sam's Club and they all had "cap removed" for cryo packs. I got off work early yesterday and made a trip to El Paso to visit Costco. I asked for a cryo pack of their USDA prime top sirloin and the guy went back and brought out a package. They said they do not have the cap, but it did have the cap when he brought the cryo package out. I asked for the price and they sold it to me for $7.29/pound so I had then bring me another one. Woohoo I have 30# of prime top sirloin in my cart.

I brought them home and proceeded to break one of them down.

The cap is on the bottom and it is separated by a seam between the rest of the top sirloin. If you look closely you can see the grain runs perpendicular.

It is pretty easy to remove the cap if you just follow the seam.

I trimmed the cap and cut into 8 coulette steaks. I cut the main chuck of beef in half with the grain then cut 13 standard top sirloin baseball steaks by cutting across the grain.

I also had a small pile of trim that will be added to burger at a later time. Not bad to get 23 meals out of one slab of beef. That works out to just under $4.50 per meal for the entre. The top sirloin is not as glamorous as the rib steaks or tenderloin but it is a nice tender tasty cut of meat.

#ADS  
 is online
Smoked-Meat Ads

Old 08-25-2017, 12:29 PM
The Mad Hunky!

Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All
Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All

Damn but that looks like a whole top round...
Old 08-25-2017, 06:27 PM
Fire Starter

Big Andy Is Just Starting Out

I thought the top sirloin was similar in shape to a strip loin? That kinda looks like what Sam's calls whole sirloin tip around here.
Old 08-25-2017, 09:02 PM
Tailgater

HornedToad Is  A Name Known To AllHornedToad Is  A Name Known To AllHornedToad Is  A Name Known To All
HornedToad Is  A Name Known To AllHornedToad Is  A Name Known To AllHornedToad Is  A Name Known To AllHornedToad Is  A Name Known To AllHornedToad Is  A Name Known To AllHornedToad Is  A Name Known To AllHornedToad Is  A Name Known To AllHornedToad Is  A Name Known To AllHornedToad Is  A Name Known To AllHornedToad Is  A Name Known To AllHornedToad Is  A Name Known To AllHornedToad Is  A Name Known To AllHornedToad Is  A Name Known To AllHornedToad Is  A Name Known To AllHornedToad Is  A Name Known To AllHornedToad Is  A Name Known To AllHornedToad Is  A Name Known To AllHornedToad Is  A Name Known To AllHornedToad Is  A Name Known To All

Cutting a Top Sirloin down into that many steaks is an art. I bet the prime are nice and tender.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-26-2017, 12:32 AM
Biltong King

Fishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To All
Fishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To All

Nice work!
Old 08-26-2017, 07:38 AM
Pit Master

BYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To All
BYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To All

Nicely done
Old 08-26-2017, 08:13 AM
Mistfit ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ

Texas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To All
Texas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To All

Nicely done AJ, that be some great knife skills...

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Old 08-26-2017, 08:31 AM
Up in Smoke

SMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To All
SMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To All

Gonna be some good eatin...

I'll be cutting up a ribeye tomorrow...That doesn't require the same knife skills that you display

Old 08-26-2017, 10:35 AM
Meatasaurus

AJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Andy View Post
I thought the top sirloin was similar in shape to a strip loin? That kinda looks like what Sam's calls whole sirloin tip around here.
The top sirloin starts where the porterhouse/strip steaks stop in the loin section of the carcass. It is a different shape than the backstrap/strip. The sirloin tip which comes from the hind quarter (round) of the cow. The top sirloin is located in front of the hip where the round is behind the hip. The sirloin is more tender and has more marbling (slight) than the round cuts, which are pretty lean. Here is a pretty good diagram of what cuts come from what parts of the cow.
Old 08-26-2017, 10:38 AM
Meatasaurus

Thanks guys, I have to practice my butchering skills as my elk hunt is only 49 days away. Lots of butchering happening then (I hope).
Old 08-26-2017, 12:29 PM
Up in Smoke

SMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To All
SMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ View Post
The top sirloin starts where the porterhouse/strip steaks stop in the loin section of the carcass. It is a different shape than the backstrap/strip. The sirloin tip which comes from the hind quarter (round) of the cow. The top sirloin is located in front of the hip where the round is behind the hip. The sirloin is more tender and has more marbling (slight) than the round cuts, which are pretty lean. Here is a pretty good diagram of what cuts come from what parts of the cow.
Thanks for the link AJ...Great info...

Old 08-26-2017, 12:41 PM
<-----BITE ME!

DanMcG Is  A Name Known To AllDanMcG Is  A Name Known To AllDanMcG Is  A Name Known To AllDanMcG Is  A Name Known To All
DanMcG Is  A Name Known To AllDanMcG Is  A Name Known To AllDanMcG Is  A Name Known To All

thanks for the lesson
Old 08-26-2017, 01:31 PM
Fire Starter

Big Andy Is Just Starting Out

Quote:
Thanks for the link. Interesting stuff to know.
Old 08-31-2017, 06:06 PM
The BBQer coneSEWER

Otis857 Is  A Name Known To AllOtis857 Is  A Name Known To All
Otis857 Is  A Name Known To AllOtis857 Is  A Name Known To AllOtis857 Is  A Name Known To AllOtis857 Is  A Name Known To AllOtis857 Is  A Name Known To All

AJ, how were the Coulette steaks? I recently read that the Brazilians value that cut even more than Filet Mignon for tenderness and flavor

PCa Sucks - But I WILL, No DID beat this!!

Yoder YS640
POS ChinaMasterbuilt XL (demoted to cold smoking duty)
Bull Big Bahanga gas grill

Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most!
Old 08-31-2017, 07:37 PM
Pit Master

jwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To All
jwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To All

great use of a large cut. Hopefully you kept all that connective tissue and fat. put all that shit in a pan the next time you run a smoker. most of it will render down to a liquid. then strain out all the solids. let it chill into solid. form it into a butter stick shape in a ziplock bag. then then next time you need a lard or something you have this smoky, fatty flavor. My wife does the same with my pork drippings into dishes like baked beans and such and they are awesome. A little tiny bit of that beef fat into a stock pot of stew meat does wonders when you are browning it up.

Some days I think Bravo Zulu, other days it's more like Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...
Old 09-01-2017, 12:16 PM
Meatasaurus

Otis,
The coulette steaks are awesome. Much cheaper than the ribeye/strip/fillet and has as least as much flavor. Here is a package of them from Costco. They had a package of choice that had almost as much marbling as these but were a few dollars per pound cheaper, so I went that route.

Old 09-01-2017, 12:27 PM
Meatasaurus

JW,
Shamefully, I did not do as you recommended. I did not think of it at the time. I will have to do this with the next hunk of beef I play with. I do like that idea though.
Old 09-02-2017, 11:12 AM
The BBQer coneSEWER

Otis857 Is  A Name Known To AllOtis857 Is  A Name Known To All
Otis857 Is  A Name Known To AllOtis857 Is  A Name Known To AllOtis857 Is  A Name Known To AllOtis857 Is  A Name Known To AllOtis857 Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Otis,
The coulette steaks are awesome. Much cheaper than the ribeye/strip/fillet and has as least as much flavor. Here is a package of them from Costco. They had a package of choice that had almost as much marbling as these but were a few dollars per pound cheaper, so I went that route.

Thanks AJ.
Good to know I may be able to get them at Costco too. We have a plan to visit a local butcher shop today (Butcher Bob's in Surprise Az) to see if we can get one for a Labor Day cook this weekend. I recently heard about them on a Youtube channel, Sous Vide Everything done by 3 goofy Brazilians. They call it Picanha and did it as a whole SV with the fat cap on, cut it into steaks and torch seared after. Peaked my interest. for a great explanation and pics

PCa Sucks - But I WILL, No DID beat this!!

Yoder YS640
POS ChinaMasterbuilt XL (demoted to cold smoking duty)
Bull Big Bahanga gas grill

Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most!
Old 09-03-2017, 01:07 AM
Smoke it & they will come

Wingman Is  A Name Known To AllWingman Is  A Name Known To AllWingman Is  A Name Known To AllWingman Is  A Name Known To AllWingman Is  A Name Known To AllWingman Is  A Name Known To AllWingman Is  A Name Known To AllWingman Is  A Name Known To All
Wingman Is  A Name Known To AllWingman Is  A Name Known To All

That's some fine cutting you did there.

Rob
Recipes & Smokes in HD Video
SmokingPit.com
Road-Quest.com

Yoder YS640
Yoder Wichita
Arizona BBQ Outfitters Scottsdale

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > Beef