This doesn't sound very safe to me...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This doesn't sound very safe to me...

Was looking on the Food Network site at jerky recipes wen I came across this on from Alton Brown:
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html

Is he drying meat at room temp for 10-12 hours with no cure?

Ingredients

* 1 1/2 to 2 pounds flank steak
    * 2/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
    * 2/3 cup soy sauce
    * 1 tablespoon honey
    * 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
    * 2 teaspoons onion powder
    * 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
    * 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
    * Special Equipment: 1 box fan, 4 paper air-conditioning filters, and 2 bungee cords

Directions

Trim the flank steak of any excess fat, place in a zip-top bag, and place it in the freezer for 1 to 2 hours in order to firm up.

Remove the steak from the freezer and thinly slice the meat with the grain, into long strips.

Place the strips of meat along with all of the remaining ingredients into a large, 1-gallon plastic zip-top bag and move around to evenly distribute all of the ingredients. Place the bag into the refrigerator for 3 to 6 hours.

Remove the meat from the brine and pat dry. Evenly distribute the strips of meat onto 3 of the air filters, laying them in the grooves and then stacking the filters on top of one another. Top these with 1 empty filter. Next, lay the box fan on its side and lay the filters on top of it. Strap the filters to the fan with 2 bungee cords. Stand the fan upright, plug in and set to medium. Allow the meat dry for 8 to 12 hours. If using a commercial dehydrator, follow the manufacturer's directions.

Once dry, store in a cool dry place, in an airtight container for 2 to 3 months.

sigpic

Boy O Boy..... Wheres our Cure Master PitBull Richtee... I really want to read the response he gets from them...I cant believe they posted that on the site... If someone gets sick due to that method... They very well could be part owner of a network...

This was posted back in '05...
    Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

yes Rich is the cure master. But i have been doing jerky without cure for close to 35 years now........and still kicking it...........and i have tried AB's method, and it werks great.......and still kicking it........tho it doesn't last long enuff to do whatever it is supposed to do, to get the cure master riled up.

BUT, i bet this stirs up a can of werms..........or is that opens up a hornets nest.........ONE of them things

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

Im with yeah Dude... I dont use it either.. It never last more than 2 to 3 days at most unless I freeze it..

But by no means, I would do it this way and place it in a so called "Air Tight Container" for 3 months..I see that one coming on..
        Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

I am not a curing expert in any means, but this is beef you are talking about. Is this not true that you can age beef with no ill effect or would this be different?. Please don't shoot me for this because I don't know. I would also assume that this is being done in a cold enviroment, less than 40 degrees.
          sigpic

Comment

when i did my jerky at the start........we did it in a oven on the lowest setting, with the door cracked/ajar.......

here for the last several years, been using the dehydrator on its lowest setting. i also have cold smoked it, then finished in the dehydrator........then i tried the AB method.....werked great.......

The explanation AB gave...the Indians, and every other culture, didn't HAVE cures.........

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

Well, I'll play devil's advocate here then. Ab is wrong. I know, he's educated and I'm not. Too bad, he's wrong.
              Native Americans did cure, they just didn't know it. They used the same salt to cure smoked meat as they used to tan (preserve) their animal hides. Except they used salt to draw moisture out of the meat, same as hides. Nitrate was present originally as a natural impurity in the salts used in curing but, unknown to the users, was a key ingredient in the curing process.
              Now I won't say that ALL natives used salt to cure meat, but certainly those that had access to it did. Curing with salt has been around for thousands of years.

Tom

Comment

I have always used TQ in the proper proportions, but I feel guilty when my 2 year old grandaughter wants to share a piece with me, ( nitrates and all ) I have been wanting to try just a marinade soon ( for the grandkids sake). It is thin, so I really don't believe the danger zone is an issue, and refrigerated or frozen afterwords. And steves still kicken LOL
                Last edited by SmokinLee; 03-01-2009, 06:32 AM.

Comment

lmao & rotfl

Soy sauce has lots of salt, honey is the best natural antibacterial agent on the planet.
                  jerky is thin meat IMMEDIATELY the drying process starts it begins to inhibit bacteria.

It's perfectly safe. Hell it's pretty similiar to the recipe i made this week - only a single piece of mine made it out of the dehydrator.

And if you're drying your jerky in the smoker - well just take a look at rich's sticky in the information thread.
                  The smoke ring IS cured meat - cured by nitrous acid created by the smoking process. And with meat as thin as jerky that's going to be smoke cured all the way through pretty quickly.
                  Plus you've got the heat used in ameircan jerky making that cooks bacteria.

It's almost impossible to produce dodgy jerky - just so long as it's forceably dried and or smoked.
                  Adding nitrite to a cure mix is simply gilding a very pretty lilly :-)
                  Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                  Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

made jerky many years without cure-never got sick,but I do add some cure these days-next WE yumm

Comment

Working...
                    X