Hatch Chile Pepper Sauce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by barkonbutts View Post
    What about the Anaheim Chile Pepper? They look very similar... but then again dont all peppers? The heat factor seems about the same..
    Maybe????? I have never roasted Anahims so I could not say if they would have a similar flavor... I do know the Hatch Chile is more fleshy (if that is a word)...
    Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
      Maybe????? I have never roasted Anahims so I could not say if they would have a similar flavor... I do know the Hatch Chile is more fleshy (if that is a word)...

I have a friend who has a garden full of them that is why i ask... I get pounds of them from her every late summer/early fall... maybe I will give this one a try using those as the pepper!!
      Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
      Yoder YS640
      Weber Genesis
      Weber 18.5" Kettle
      Weber Performer
      Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by barkonbutts View Post
        I have a friend who has a garden full of them that is why i ask... I get pounds of them from her every late summer/early fall... maybe I will give this one a try using those as the pepper!!
        Cool... I would like to see that.. I still have peppers in the frezzer and my mind has been rolling around a few new ideas... Maybe something new to come this weekend????P
        Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Cool... I would like to see that.. I still have peppers in the frezzer and my mind has been rolling around a few new ideas... Maybe something new to come this weekend????P
          Me too!! can you roast a frozen pepper?? I have always just chopped them up into chili or some sauce?
          Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
          Yoder YS640
          Weber Genesis
          Weber 18.5" Kettle
          Weber Performer
          Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

I roast mine on a grill, peel 'em, vac pac in serving size packages then freeze. When I thaw some to fix, I use a similar recipe but add some tommies and make green chili. Pour over.......you name it. Need to hunt some down pretty soon.
            Last edited by treehorses; 08-09-2012, 12:57 PM.
            sigpicYeah...that's right...I'm smokin'.

The GOOD ONE smoker grill
            Weber 22 1/2 Wannabe (aka WW)
            Weber 22 1/2 Silver One Touch
            Smokey Joe New model, Smokey Joe 1984 model
            fire pit in the yard
            10 & 12 Lodge DO,
            Maverick ET73, ET732.
            A-MAZE-N SMOKER 5x8, RED HOT Thermapen
            MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric smoker

Rick

Comment

Looks great Ken - I bet it is tasty too
              Scarbelly

Comment

Now that's sippin chili!
                sigpicYeah...that's right...I'm smokin'.

The GOOD ONE smoker grill
                Weber 22 1/2 Wannabe (aka WW)
                Weber 22 1/2 Silver One Touch
                Smokey Joe New model, Smokey Joe 1984 model
                fire pit in the yard
                10 & 12 Lodge DO,
                Maverick ET73, ET732.
                A-MAZE-N SMOKER 5x8, RED HOT Thermapen
                MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric smoker

Rick

Comment

First I saw this one!!!

Looks mighty tasty from here!!!!

Bear
                  Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                  Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

I'm not sure if there is a pepper that you can substitute for the hatch chile.. I know you can buy them on line and then roast them yourself.... If your going to buy some, the time is now at the peak of season
                    So I had a "few" when I read your response...and went online... ...I got an email two days later confirming my order for 20lbs.... They are shipping Monday.......

Wonder if I bought anything else?
                    Mark
                    sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                    Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Ok so I got my 20lbs of chilies in

Does it make any difference if I roast them over fire or broil in the oven?
                      Mark
                      sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                      Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Mark, where did ya get them?
                        MES 30"
                        A-Maze-N pellet smoker
                        Weber 22" kettle
                        E-Z-Que rotisserie
                        Weber Smokey Joe
                        Big Weber Gasser
                        Cracker Smoker
                        UDS

Comment

Hey Ken... what ya want for a bottle? I'd love to try that out. Lemme know!
                          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

The Anaheim chili is similar, but the Hatch chilies are a bit hotter, because of where they are grown. I tend to use the Hatch in the same application as Anaheim's, but expect a little hotter output.

The normal way the natives roast the chilies is in a round, expanded metal drum over a propane burner. When roasted in the oven, you just don't quite get the same roasted result.
                            Arizona Deano
                            "Illegitimas Non-Carborundum!"

"Life is tough. Its tougher when you're stupid."
                            John Wayne

Comment

Got a case of Hatch Chilis roasted at Albertsons, cleaned and vacupacked. Odd, never knew I could get them here in Vegas but I never really looked. That roasting machine is a propane powerhouse!
                              https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...07782200112988

Full case, mebbe 20 lbs ready to be cleaned. Roasted burnt skin comes off easy enough
                              Hatch chilies.jpg

A few draining after cleaning, I just tossed them like this into the bags.Hatch chies just a few.jpg

Got about 10 nice sized bags vacupacked.

I'm so making that sauce in above post, thanks for the recipe!

Wonder if I put an hour of smoke on them before I add them to the pot? Nice smoky sauce?
                              Last edited by Conumdrum; 08-10-2014, 01:42 PM.

Comment

I'll be making some of this sauce this fall. Next month, the hatch's flood the city with the roasters. You can even get them mild-extra hot. They're great and cheap.

Can't wait to make some.

Great Thread!
                                Pete
                                Large BGE
                                Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Comment

Working...
                                X