deer pepperoni

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• deer pepperoni

we haven tried a few times with seasonings we have gotten from local supply places but haven't found one we really like and cant seem to get the texture right.

I know theres 100s of ways to make it including fermenting and dry aging. I have a nice smoker setup but nothing really for dry aging meat.

I have found a few small batch recipes that I am going to try but wanted to see what yalls input was.

we do mix either back fat or whole pork butts in when we do sticks

Owensbbq.com
    Has a lot of different mixes & they are members on this forum. Great products and service
    sigpic

Comment

If it was me I would add back fat to the deer meat. I've never used deer meat before but I made some lamb salami and added pork fat since it was so lean. I get the meat and fat almost frozen so when I grind it it won't smear. I use a large plate and put the grinder components in the freezer as well. I buy from www.sausagemaker.com, just my choice for many years. Good luck. Here's one I just started. http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/sho...eriyaki+salami
      Last edited by barleypop; 07-18-2017, 05:21 PM. Reason: More info added.

Comment

Originally posted by wvuarmyeng View Post
        we haven tried a few times with seasonings we have gotten from local supply places but haven't found one we really like and cant seem to get the texture right.

I know theres 100s of ways to make it including fermenting and dry aging. I have a nice smoker setup but nothing really for dry aging meat.

I have found a few small batch recipes that I am going to try but wanted to see what yalls input was.

we do mix either back fat or whole pork butts in when we do sticks

1. What type of texture are you wanting? Smooth or more more course?

2. Which is it that you are looking for?

Yes there are a lot of recipes out there, I personally try to stay away from commercial mixes, due to all the added shit I do not want in my meats. You can find a basic recipe and start tweaking it to your liking.. We are here to help..
        Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

I don't think you can get to quality pepperoni without fermenting and dry curing. The dry curing gives it the texture. Maybe the dry cure bags, but ya can't get the tart flavor without fermenting. JMHO

Commercial mixes will not get you there!
          Mark
          sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
          Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Working...
          X