Brining question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brining question

Hopfully I have this in the right section.I want to do a couple of chickens and was wondering about brining. I've done a buttermilk brine on leg quarters before and took them out and rinsed them off after 2 hours in the fridge.I was wondering if I could do a basic brine with the full chicken tonight,Seal them with my food saver and smoke them tomorrow.Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Yes you can/should brine your birds overnight...
    I see no need for vac sealing them...Just do my stuff in ziplok bags and keep a bowl or pan under to catch drips...

To late for tonight but you really should check into Mad Hunky brines...They rock!
    Craig
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
      To late for tonight but you really should check into Mad Hunky brines...They rock!
      X2^^^^^
      Masterbuilt Stainless Steel 40"
      Weber 22.5" WSM
      Weber Performer W/rotisserie X2
      Weber 22.5" Kettle Silver
      Weber 22.5" Kettle Gold
      Weber 1990 22.5" 3 Wheeler
      Weber 18.5" Kettle
      Weber 18.5" Bud Light Kettle
      Weber Smokey Joe
      GMG Daniel Boone
      Pit Barrel Cooker
      Maverick ET 73 and ET 732
      6X8 A Maze N Smoker and Tube Smoker
      Fastest Themapen on the market BLACK
      The Vortex

Comment

I have done both short brines and overnight,,, in bags with air removed...
        another vote for Mad Hunky brines (poultry brine in this case)
        I call it liquid bulletproofing as it allows upper end temperature overshoot without drying out...

might look at "spatchcock" (ing) method as well...
        have had great success with it...
        Last edited by THUMPERRRR; 08-26-2017, 09:14 PM.
        ~All that is gold does not glitter ~ Not all those that wander are lost~
        ~20" Yoder "Swiss Army Knife" Stick Burner~

Comment

The only Brine I ever liked is Mad Hunky Poultry Brine---Awesome stuff !!

Bear
          Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
          Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Yes overnight is OK depending on the brine and the amount of sugar or salt.

Acid type juices like pineapple will turn poultry to a mush if left too long.

A food saver canister may work but you will not be able to seal a bag with liquid.

There are a number of poultry brine's I have used in the past and just used a plate with gallon jugs of water on top to keep the bird submerged.

Another trick I have used in the past is to take a fresh whole egg (in the shell) and put in the brineing pot. Stir in salt until the egg starts to float. and that's all the salt needed. Add aromatics, time, oregano, garlic etc. Soak overnight and smoke away.

Comment

Originally posted by nickelmore View Post
              Another trick I have used in the past is to take a fresh whole egg (in the shell) and put in the brineing pot. Stir in salt until the egg starts to float. and that's all the salt needed. Add aromatics, time, oregano, garlic etc. Soak overnight and smoke away.
              Nice :) I did not know that
              Masterbuilt Stainless Steel 40"
              Weber 22.5" WSM
              Weber Performer W/rotisserie X2
              Weber 22.5" Kettle Silver
              Weber 22.5" Kettle Gold
              Weber 1990 22.5" 3 Wheeler
              Weber 18.5" Kettle
              Weber 18.5" Bud Light Kettle
              Weber Smokey Joe
              GMG Daniel Boone
              Pit Barrel Cooker
              Maverick ET 73 and ET 732
              6X8 A Maze N Smoker and Tube Smoker
              Fastest Themapen on the market BLACK
              The Vortex

Comment

Never knew that...Sounds like good stuff to know...
                Craig
                sigpic

Comment

I am on the Mad Hunky bandwagon. Best brine I have ever used and I love the stuff.
                  sigpic

USAF 1982-2008 Desert Storm Vet
                  American Legion Riders
                  Patriot Guard Riders

Comment

The floating egg is old school. I can remember my GrandMa doing that when I was growing up.

I'm a big fan of MH Brines. The poultry brine is good, but I use the Nekkid brine more simply because I can control the flavor profile I want when cooking different types of recipes.
                    Jim

Comment

Originally posted by BYBBQ View Post
                      The floating egg is old school. I can remember my GrandMa doing that when I was growing up.

I'm a big fan of MH Brines. The poultry brine is good, but I use the Nekkid brine more simply because I can control the flavor profile I want when cooking different types of recipes.
                      OR if I want to brine my poultry or pork without adding any flavors at all...Letting the rub and smoke (or a particular sauce) be the star of the show...
                      Last edited by SMOKE FREAK; 08-26-2017, 09:39 PM.
                      Craig
                      sigpic

Comment

A food saver canister may work but you will not be able to seal a bag with liquid.

There are a number of poultry brine's I have used in the past and just used a plate with gallon jugs of water on top to keep the bird submerged.

thks!!!
                        ~All that is gold does not glitter ~ Not all those that wander are lost~
                        ~20" Yoder "Swiss Army Knife" Stick Burner~

Comment

Never heard of that... cool trick! Thanks for sharing!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Seems like you are pretty well covered here but..It's Sunday, I am off and I get to post stuff so I am chiming in any way. I too am a huge fan of the Mad Hunky poultry brine. I highly recommend that you spatchcock the bird. More surface area for the brine to get into the meat. Until you get some a simple brine of salt, water, and some spices will do the trick but you do have to monitor the length of time so that your bird does not get too salty. Not an issue with the MH. I like to go with a mixture of buttermilk ranch dressing and Frank's red hot when I am brining to fry. A bowl and a sheet of cellophane pushed down onto the mix inside works great for that method.
                            Weber Smoky Joe
                            18" Weber Silver
                            22.5" Weber Gold
                            22.5" Weber Silver
                            UDS X 2
                            Masterbuilt 30" MES digital
                            Masterbuilt MES 40" digital
                            Masterbuilt cold smoke attachment
                            Char-Broil Big Easy 3 in 1
                            Char-Broil COS with Ron Fischer mods.
                            Dual Char-Broil BBQ Bistros
                            Blackstone three burner flat top
                            5" AMZNPS
                            Vortex x 2
                            Maverick ET 73
                            Maverick ET 732
                            Maverick Pro Temp instant read thermometer
                            Thermo Works Smoke Dual Channel Thermometer
                            Pitmaster iQue 110
                            sigpic

Comment

Thanks for all the info guys! I did as they say "Chicken out" today.The goof up with the firebox left me a bit on the worrying side to do chicken.But I am printing this thread out so I can have a quick info sheet for when I do try it.

Comment

Working...
                              X