Posts Polls
Content 0 Files 2
Content Files
Links 0 Ads 1
Links Ads
More...
Old 01-11-2018, 07:50 AM
Rub Mixer

Blinginpse Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodBlinginpse Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodBlinginpse Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodBlinginpse Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodBlinginpse Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodBlinginpse Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodBlinginpse Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodBlinginpse Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodBlinginpse Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodBlinginpse Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodBlinginpse Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodBlinginpse Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodBlinginpse Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodBlinginpse Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodBlinginpse Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodBlinginpse Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodBlinginpse Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God
Default Drowned drumsticks

I've stuck 12 a gallon deep in some mad hunky poultry brine and will be supper tonight! How long do you guys go and what temp to get a crispy type skin? Do you check internal temp on each leg or stick meat probes in 2 seperate legs and just go off that?

#ADS  
 is online
Smoked-Meat Ads

Old 01-11-2018, 08:16 AM
The Mad Hunky!

Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All
Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All

Youll wanna cook then north of 275- I shoot for 300. Depending on size..Id allow 45 mins. Prolly wont need it. but why not.

Check yer 2 biggest legs, but also remember brined..you can easily just let them hit 175 and not worry. I like well done AND moist/tender :{)
Old 01-11-2018, 10:40 AM
Pit Master

Bearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To All
Bearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To All

If you're using your new MES 40, try to stay below 300.

Set it for 275, and if it goes above 300, turn it down.
If it keeps going up, shut it down & call the Company (Masterbuilt).

Also check a leg from each end of a rack & each rack, in case your heat isn't balanced. My Gen #2.5 is balanced, but my old Gen #1 needed a heat deflector to balance left & right.

Bear
Old 01-11-2018, 11:35 AM
Rub Mixer

Blinginpse Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodBlinginpse Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodBlinginpse Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodBlinginpse Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodBlinginpse Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodBlinginpse Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodBlinginpse Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodBlinginpse Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodBlinginpse Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodBlinginpse Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodBlinginpse Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodBlinginpse Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodBlinginpse Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodBlinginpse Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodBlinginpse Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodBlinginpse Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodBlinginpse Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richtee View Post
Youll wanna cook then north of 275- I shoot for 300. Depending on size..Id allow 45 mins. Prolly wont need it. but why not.

Check yer 2 biggest legs, but also remember brined..you can easily just let them hit 175 and not worry. I like well done AND moist/tender :{)

You will be hearing from me again on your brine and made a post in my last thread with pics of the ribs I just done with your sweet heat. Dang they are good to. Thank you so much
Old 01-11-2018, 11:36 AM
Rub Mixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcarver View Post
If you're using your new MES 40, try to stay below 300.

Set it for 275, and if it goes above 300, turn it down.

If it keeps going up, shut it down & call the Company (Masterbuilt).

Also check a leg from each end of a rack & each rack, in case your heat isn't balanced. My Gen #2.5 is balanced, but my old Gen #1 needed a heat deflector to balance left & right.

Bear

Yes sir will be my 5th smoke with it. MES is what I'm using for sure.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:10 PM
Cookin with fire

SMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To All
SMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To All

I've gotten to where I don't smoke chicken anymore...Prefer to grill it...Much hotter...Turns out like we like it...

Either way...MH brine is the way to start...
Old 01-11-2018, 10:02 PM
Rub Mixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
I've gotten to where I don't smoke chicken anymore...Prefer to grill it...Much hotter...Turns out like we like it...

The season and brine I've used has been good
Old 01-11-2018, 10:16 PM
Biltong King

Fishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To All
Fishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:

X2.... Vortex if you have one..... I won't cook/grill chicken on anything but a kettle anymore, as in ootside cooking.... like smoke flavor? Add a chunk of wood to the coals, above Vortex, or aluminum foil pouch of chips to the coals or above it. Higher temps, convection heat and a dry cooking environment will help render oot fat and crisp up your chicken. How well you like it done is up to you, we like it cooked a little longer, rendering oot fat and help in crisping the skin. If you prefer less rendering and less crispy skin, pull it off earlier. Personally, I did not like any chicken off my MES, when compared to a kettle or any other cookers/smoker. The air flow is restricted IMO in a MES. YMMV
Old 01-12-2018, 06:37 AM
<--- Me Li'l Sous Chef

HawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To All
HawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:

X3. MH brine, the Weber kettle and the Vortex were meant for each other to cook chicken to perfection!

~ P4 ~

There are good ships and wood ships,
The ships that sail the sea,
But the best ships are friendships,
And may they always be.

http://www.hhsbbq.com
Old 01-13-2018, 12:26 PM
Learning from the Best

DDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To All
DDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
X4

Occasionally I'll do leg quarters on the UDS. But I run it WFO as Slanted88 would say. Temps around 375 if I can keep 'em that high. The fat dripping into the coals smells good . . .
Weber Performer
Blue Thermapen
Auber Smoker Controller
Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88

-

"All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010
Old 01-13-2018, 01:05 PM
Pit Master

L20A Is Becoming A Smoke GuruL20A Is Becoming A Smoke GuruL20A Is Becoming A Smoke GuruL20A Is Becoming A Smoke GuruL20A Is Becoming A Smoke GuruL20A Is Becoming A Smoke GuruL20A Is Becoming A Smoke GuruL20A Is Becoming A Smoke GuruL20A Is Becoming A Smoke Guru

I feel that I can get a nice smoky flavor using my kettle at about 300* to 350* and the skin is nice & crispy. Turkey legs and chickens take about an hour, indirect heat. I turn the meat a couple of times during the cook to even out the heat exposure. I get a chimney of coals going nicely & dump 'em into the vortex and put a piece of wood over the coals. Then the meat around the vortex and cover. The best chicken I have had was done this way on my kettle.
E-Z-Que rotisserie
Weber Smokey Joe
Big Weber Gasser
Cracker Smoker
UDS
Old 01-13-2018, 08:38 PM
Cookin with fire

SMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To All
SMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:

X 5...

Oh wait...Never mind...

I do have a smoked thigh recipe that the Mrs. keeps hinting about...Gotta cut up some Mulberry and smoke some up one of these days

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > Poultry