Good Low Budget Smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
    Butt...With a $200 max the only WSM you can get is the little 'ol 14.5 incher...Mine works great but you're so limited as to what you can put on it...For another $100 the 18.5 inch WSM would be an ideal choice...

So within the $200 range I think the kettle is still the best option...
    Oh chit Craiger is thinkin agin!
    Mark
    sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
    Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
      Butt...With a $200 max the only WSM you can get is the little 'ol 14.5 incher...Mine works great but you're so limited as to what you can put on it...For another $100 the 18.5 inch WSM would be an ideal choice...

So within the $200 range I think the kettle is still the best option...
      I lucked out buying my used WSMs...$100 each.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

I just did a quick look at Craigslist in Alberta and found this for $10.

https://kalispell.craigslist.org/for...194388416.html

Clean up, a little touch up and you'll have a great charcoal grill to get started with. You said he wanted a charcoal grill.

That leaves you $190 for accessories and some time to keep looking for a WSM or other vertical smoker.

Here's another. This is one heck of a deal. Most of us would be all over this deal for $125 for a Weber performer

https://spokane.craigslist.org/for/d...240472873.html
        Last edited by BYBBQ; 08-02-2017, 09:51 AM.
        Jim

Comment

Originally posted by BYBBQ View Post
          I just did a quick look at Craigslist in Alberta and found this for $10.

https://kalispell.craigslist.org/for...194388416.html

Clean up, a little touch up and you'll have a great charcoal grill to get started with. You said he wanted a charcoal grill.

That leaves you $190 for accessories and some time to keep looking for a WSM or other vertical smoker.

Here's another. This is one heck of a deal. Most of us would be all over this deal for $125 for a Weber performer

https://spokane.craigslist.org/for/d...240472873.html
          I would jump quick on that Performer! If it was close it would be MINE!
          Mark
          sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
          Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

chargriller grills are excellent.

My outlaw has lived outside in the english climate (damp, wet, occasionally warm OR dry - but mostly wet. Currently it's summer so it's merely damp. Oh and I consider 64f to be warm :-)
            https://www.amazon.com/Char-Griller-...ds=chargriller

Great bits of kit.
            I've actually got the outlaw (biggest model) without sfb. it's big enough I can do indirect smoking easily.
            https://www.amazon.com/Char-Griller-...griller+outlaw
            Add an sfb and it comes in at around $200.

Great grills and smokers.
            Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
            Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
              I would jump quick on that Performer! If it was close it would be MINE!
              Ditto!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

I am fond of the kettles, too. But, I would suggest that you maker a UDS. You will get a 22 1/2" cooker with more cooking space. I made mine for about $150. and love it. There is a whole section on them in this forum. Good luck.
                MES 30"
                A-Maze-N pellet smoker
                Weber 22" kettle
                E-Z-Que rotisserie
                Weber Smokey Joe
                Big Weber Gasser
                Cracker Smoker
                UDS

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                  chargriller grills are excellent.

My outlaw has lived outside in the english climate (damp, wet, occasionally warm OR dry - but mostly wet. Currently it's summer so it's merely damp. Oh and I consider 64f to be warm :-)
                  https://www.amazon.com/Char-Griller-...ds=chargriller

Great bits of kit.
                  I've actually got the outlaw (biggest model) without sfb. it's big enough I can do indirect smoking easily.
                  https://www.amazon.com/Char-Griller-...griller+outlaw
                  Add an sfb and it comes in at around $200.

Great grills and smokers.

Your post reminded me of when I was stationed in the UK; 82-85 at RAF Bentwaters. At that time, I dare to say very few if any "Limey's" were grilling anything. Us "Yanks" were though, because the BX/PX sold cheap charcoal grills and charcoal. I remember when I brought home a cheap grill and my landlord, a tyrant of a Scot, asked me what the hell was that thing? I wound up letting him have it when I rotated back to the states.

BTW, I still remember that old Scot telling me two things. He said that the best sport and best whisky were invented in Scotland. Of course he was speaking of Golf and Scotch whisky. To this day I could not care less about golf. Tried it, and hated it. Now as far as Scotch goes, it is without a doubt my favorite whisky; single malt of course.

He also asked me how many shots were in a bottle of Scotch? I told him I had no clue. He said there were 36 shots in a bottle and then proceeded to ask me why 36 shots? Again I said I have no clue. This was his explanation and it made sense to me. He said there were 36 because that was just the right amount for 2 gentlemen to play a round of golf and have a shot after every hole. Now I can tell you this guy played twice a week and I know he practiced the shot after every hole method because he would return to the newspaper stand/post office/ store he owned after his golf outings, LOL.
                  sigpic

USAF 1982-2008 Desert Storm Vet
                  American Legion Riders
                  Patriot Guard Riders

Comment

Personally, AND THIS IS JUST ME THOUGHTS, I have owned/used 3-18" WSM as well as a 22" WSM. They worked ok for me, with only a couple calls to Richtee regarding how to stabilize temps. :) One thing I am personally not fond of is all your fuel/heat source and tending it is like 6" off the ground, unless you build or buy something to change this. Too low for me. Started messing around with longer cooks/smokes on the standard height kettles. With some learning curve, experience and reading what others do, I got rid of my WSM's and use only kettles. Just my opinions/experiences. Cost is not really a factor in my choices, BUTT, if I could cook on only 1 setup it would be a 26'r with a Vortex. Again, just my thoughts, opinions and experiences. IMO, everybody should at least cook on a Weber kettle a few times to get their feet wet, then experiment and expand what they can do. No limits really
                    sigpic

Comment

Wow, the website was down( for me at least) for the past couple days and now I come back to all of these amazing responses. I have never used a Weber before, but I am looking into them now! Cheers everyone.

Comment

Working...
                      X