Posts Polls
Content 0 Files 2
Content Files
Links 0 Ads 1
Links Ads
More...

Old 03-14-2010, 12:02 PM
Hog Hugger

moselle Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godmoselle Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godmoselle Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godmoselle Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godmoselle Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godmoselle Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godmoselle Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godmoselle Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godmoselle Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godmoselle Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godmoselle Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godmoselle Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godmoselle Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godmoselle Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godmoselle Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godmoselle Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godmoselle Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God

I like that site. Have you seen this http://www.sourdoughhome.com/downloads.html
He has some Exel conversions that work really well. He has some good information too. Does a really good job explaining what is going on with the bacteria and yeast in sourdough starters.

#ADS  
 is online
Smoked-Meat Ads

Old 03-14-2010, 12:04 PM
Pit Master

cajun_1 Is Becoming A Smoke Gurucajun_1 Is Becoming A Smoke Gurucajun_1 Is Becoming A Smoke Gurucajun_1 Is Becoming A Smoke Gurucajun_1 Is Becoming A Smoke Gurucajun_1 Is Becoming A Smoke Gurucajun_1 Is Becoming A Smoke Gurucajun_1 Is Becoming A Smoke Gurucajun_1 Is Becoming A Smoke Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by moselle View Post
I like that site. Have you seen this http://www.sourdoughhome.com/downloads.html
He has some Exel conversions that work really well. He has some good information too. Does a really good job explaining what is going on with the bacteria and yeast in sourdough starters.
Thank you ... I will definitly visit that site.

FUGLY= UDS ( Living Up To It's Name )
Traeger BBQ-150
# 168
Old 02-06-2011, 08:41 AM
Pit Master

Whisky Fish Is  A Name Known To All
Whisky Fish Is  A Name Known To AllWhisky Fish Is  A Name Known To AllWhisky Fish Is  A Name Known To AllWhisky Fish Is  A Name Known To All

Fantastic tutorial Mo! filled in a bunch of blanks for me. And the final pic. wow!
Old 02-06-2011, 09:06 AM
Pit Master

crusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To All
crusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To All

good golly that looks good...
Island of Misfit Smokers Member #94

I cuss like a Sailor, because I am a Sailor

Old 02-09-2011, 10:27 AM
Pit Master

sweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To All
sweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To All

Totally missed this last year! Great thread, Mo! Bread looks amazing!!

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Chargriller Duo w/ SFB
Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
Weber Smokey Joe
Brinkman Electric Smoker
Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
Pink Thermapen
Purple Thermapen
Old 02-09-2011, 10:39 AM
Hog Hugger

moselle Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godmoselle Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godmoselle Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godmoselle Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godmoselle Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godmoselle Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godmoselle Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godmoselle Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godmoselle Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godmoselle Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godmoselle Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godmoselle Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godmoselle Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godmoselle Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godmoselle Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godmoselle Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godmoselle Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God

Thanks Becky.
This is a blast fromt he past huh?
Carl's still going strong!
Old 02-09-2011, 12:35 PM
Pit Master

erain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To All
erain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To All

dam, its a work of art... i can only imagine it still warm with some butter and honey on it!!! thks for sharing your technique. keep that bread coming!!!

guess hafta catch ya on reload, points police yano...
Dutch Ovens and other CI
Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

Old 02-09-2011, 03:33 PM
The Mad Hunky!

Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All
Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by moselle View Post
Thanks Becky.
This is a blast fromt he past huh?
Carl's still going strong!
Mr. Whisky Fish brought it to my attention that it should be a sticky. And I WHOLEHEARTEDLY agreed, Mo. Beautiful post!

You people might make a baker of me yet...
Old 02-09-2011, 05:02 PM
Hog Hugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richtee View Post
You people might make a baker of me yet...
Thanks Rich.
I just posted a new thread just for you
Old 09-25-2011, 12:00 PM
Pit Master

cajun_1 Is Becoming A Smoke Gurucajun_1 Is Becoming A Smoke Gurucajun_1 Is Becoming A Smoke Gurucajun_1 Is Becoming A Smoke Gurucajun_1 Is Becoming A Smoke Gurucajun_1 Is Becoming A Smoke Gurucajun_1 Is Becoming A Smoke Gurucajun_1 Is Becoming A Smoke Gurucajun_1 Is Becoming A Smoke Guru

Not sure how your starter does what it does ... bubbles and all. Mine just sits in a ball. The ball does get bigger, so something is happening in there. Guess I'll have to keep searching and find my problem.

FUGLY= UDS ( Living Up To It's Name )
Traeger BBQ-150
# 168
Old 11-30-2011, 02:58 PM
Pit Master

PitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To All
PitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To All

ok, so I got some of the dehydrated Carl's a while ago and I tried getting it to start last night. Followed the directions to a T, but it just doesn't seem to be doing anything. I guess I could have gotten a bad batch, we'll see what it looks like when I get home tonight I guess.

Anyway, here's how it went down....

I took 1/2 tsp of the dehydrated starter and soaked it in about 1 Tbsp of luke warm water for 5 minutes or so. Then added 1 Tbsp of flour (bread flour to be exact), and about 2 more tsp of warm water to get it to the "thin pancake batter" consistency it said. I loosely put the lid on the glass jar it was in and set it on the counter.

About 2 hours later, when it was time for me to go to bed, I took a look, not much happened. It seemed like the water had separated from the flour, which had all sunk to the bottom, with a layer of clear water on top. I gave it a good shake and it mixed up really well, so I figured it just needed more time, so I put it on top of the fridge and went to bed.

This morning I took a look again. Still not much happening. Looked pretty much the same as last night, only maybe (maybe!) a little more volume. A few quick shakes stirred it up like last night. So I figured I'd just keep going... I transferred it to a bigger glass gar (Quart size) and added 1/4 cup warm water and 1/4 cup flour. Stirred it all up good, covered with plastic wrap and put it back on top of the fridge.

So that's where I'm at now, we'll see what it looks like when I get home. Hopefully it's just a slow start, not dead. Any ideas where I might have gone wrong (if I did)?
Old 11-30-2011, 03:14 PM
The Mad Hunky!

Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All

Yanno..I sent Mo an email last week...she's been MIA since May.

Try a tablespoon of sugar?
Old 11-30-2011, 04:00 PM
Keepin' on Smokin'

Bassman Is  A Name Known To AllBassman Is  A Name Known To AllBassman Is  A Name Known To AllBassman Is  A Name Known To All
Bassman Is  A Name Known To AllBassman Is  A Name Known To AllBassman Is  A Name Known To AllBassman Is  A Name Known To AllBassman Is  A Name Known To AllBassman Is  A Name Known To All

I don't know how much they sent you, but 1/2 teaspoon doesn't sound like much. If you have more, I'd just dump it all in, add a little more warm water and enough flour to make it more like a medium thick pancake batter. If all that doesn't work, just PM me your address and I'll send you some of mine.

Smoke Vault 24
Old 11-30-2011, 09:06 PM
Pit Master

PitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To All
PitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To All

Ok, I got home and it was more of the same. A ball of dense flour dough on the bottom and a layer of golden brown (this morning it was clear) liquid on top.

So I added about a tbsp of raw sugar, some dehydrated potato flakes, enough flour to thickened it up to a pancake batter consistency. Maybe a little thicker. I also added the rest of the starter flakes. It's been sitting in the oven with the light on for about an hour, hoping the slightly warmer temp kicks things off. We'll see.

sent from my super cool internet enabled pocket watch.

Last edited by PitRow; 11-30-2011 at 11:18 PM.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:23 AM
Pit Master

Well that seems to have done something. Last night before I went to bed I added some more flour and water and stirred it up real good. This morning it had some nice bubbles going, though not too many. It didn't seem to have changed volume any yet, but at least it's doing something.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:11 PM
Keepin' on Smokin'

Bassman Is  A Name Known To AllBassman Is  A Name Known To AllBassman Is  A Name Known To AllBassman Is  A Name Known To All
Bassman Is  A Name Known To AllBassman Is  A Name Known To AllBassman Is  A Name Known To AllBassman Is  A Name Known To AllBassman Is  A Name Known To AllBassman Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitRow View Post
Well that seems to have done something. Last night before I went to bed I added some more flour and water and stirred it up real good. This morning it had some nice bubbles going, though not too many. It didn't seem to have changed volume any yet, but at least it's doing something.
Your starter may not change in volume to a great extent. It's when you make the sponge from the starter and make a dough that it really starts to expand. Sounds like you are off to a good start now.

Smoke Vault 24
Old 12-01-2011, 01:01 PM
Pit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassman View Post
Your starter may not change in volume to a great extent. It's when you make the sponge from the starter and make a dough that it really starts to expand. Sounds like you are off to a good start now.
Hmmm, yeah I guess I was thinking it'd be like dough and expand, but that makes sense, since the expansion comes from the gasses released and in this semi-liquid state the bubbles just float up and pop. Cool.

Can't wait to make some bread with it.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:09 PM
The Mad Hunky!

Yeasts LOVE sugar :{)
Old 12-02-2011, 11:58 AM
Pit Master

Well it seems to be doing it's thing now. When I got home last night it was nice and bubbly and had almost doubled in size. I left it alone overnight and this morning it was back down to it's usual size. I fed it some more flour and water and tonight I'm going to split some off to make bread and the rest goes in the fridge for a short nap. :-) Thanks for the help getting it going guys!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > Working With Flour