B.O.G.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B.O.G.

Like a lot of places, it's hot here today. Breaking 100 for the first time this year, which is hot for here. So I was looking for a good adult beverage to quench my thirst and found this and thought I'd give it a try.

Bourbon, orange, ginger

To make the ginger syrup:
    1/2 cup peeled and thinly sliced ginger root (I just used the whole piece I had)
    1/2 cup white sugar
    1/4 cup packed brown sugar
    1-1/2 cup water
    1/4 teaspoon vanilla

I also added the zest of one orange

Bring all ingredients except vanilla to a boil then reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes. Remove from heat, add vanilla and allow to cool. Strain into container, keep refrigerated for up to 1 week

Ginger syrup

To make the cocktail mix:
    2 ounces bourbon, 1 oz triple sec, three tablespoons ginger syrup and 3 oz OJ, pour over crushed ice

Well I didn't have any bourbon to my surprise but I did have some nice local Barrel aged whiskey so I used that. Also I didn't feel like breaking out the vitamix to crush ice so I just poured it over a couple ice cubes. Pretty dang tasty. Has a nice bite from the ginger and not overly sweet but very smooth.
    Mike
    Life In Pit Row

YUM I been drinking iced tea all day.

Comment

Honestly that looks great! My cuz in Medford was complaining about the temps there today until I told him to shut up.....lol....come down in my world! I can't even mash any thing to make likker until November in this hell hole!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Jerod
      GOT-Q-4-U bbq team
      sigpic

Comment

It do sound preeetttyyy tasty Mr Mike!
        Mark
        sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
        Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Going to have to try this

Comment

This looks worthy of a taste. I'm not a sweet drink kind of guy, but I like to change it up a bit when I see something new.
            Arron W.

YS 640
            Primo Oval XL
            Lone Star Grillz 30x36 cabinet smoker
            Not so Ugly Drum Smoker
            Weber Copper Top
            Old Smokey
            Orion
            Gasser
            2 Sack Crawfish Boiler by R&V Works
            24" Disco with custom burner
            Red Thermapen
            2-Maverick ET-733
            Orange Thermoworks Smoke

R.I.P my little buddy Zazu. 10/4/2020. We miss you.
            sigpic

Comment

Another thing you can do with the ginger syrup (they had some at the food fair i went to today) is mix it with hot sauce.

Really good combination
              Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
              Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Made another one tonight with 2 oz whiskey, 1/2 oz triple sec, 3 Tbsp ginger syrup and 2 oz OJ, a little more to my liking. a little stronger and less like orange juice flavor.
                Mike
                Life In Pit Row

Comment

Interesting flavors. Not a whiskey kinda guy, butt that sounds tasty...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
                    Interesting flavors. Not a whiskey kinda guy, butt that sounds tasty...
                    It's a little bit like good ginger ale with a citrus and alcohol kick. Minus the bubbles of course I think it'd be pretty good with rum too. I'd like to try it with a nice peaty scotch too, but I don't have any on hand currently.
                    Mike
                    Life In Pit Row

Comment

Originally posted by PitRow View Post
                      It's a little bit like good ginger ale with a citrus and alcohol kick. Minus the bubbles of course I think it'd be pretty good with rum too. I'd like to try it with a nice peaty scotch too, but I don't have any on hand currently.
                      Rum might be good. I'm just not a brown liquor kinda guy...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Stayed at the famous Capitol Hotel in Little Rock a while back. The bartender made this. Very tasty.

Sweet bitter rye by Capitol Jack
                        2oz bullit rye
                        1/2 oz ginger syrup
                        1/2oz frenet branca
                        3 dash grapefruit bitters
                        Orange zest
                        sigpic

Some days I think Bravo Zulu, other days it's more like Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...

Comment

Originally posted by jwbtulsa View Post
                          Stayed at the famous Capitol Hotel in Little Rock a while back. The bartender made this. Very tasty.

Sweet bitter rye by Capitol Jack
                          2oz bullit rye
                          1/2 oz ginger syrup
                          1/2oz frenet branca
                          3 dash grapefruit bitters
                          Orange zest

Oo that does sound good too!
                          Mike
                          Life In Pit Row

Comment

I made a batch of the ginger syrup. Grated the ginger. Then of course I had to try the original drink. Thumbs up. I made a double batch and plan to use and ice cube tray to freeze some of the syrup for future use

Comment

Originally posted by PitRow View Post

A customer gifted me this bottle. After a bad experience resulting from overindulging with scotch I am hesitant to crack it open but I damn sure wasn't going to say no to free booze

Comment

Working...
                              X